Gregg Doyel Update: Still a D-Bag...

In both their primes, Kobe is the better ball player. At this stage it isn't close. Hell 2 years ago when both players where on the US team, everyone agreed that Kobe Bryant was the best defender on the team and he played defense on other countries best players. Lebron was considered a poor defender until a couple years ago. Kobe is a better overall scorer. You have to guard him the entire court where as teams just try and stop Lebron from driving and give him the 3's most of the time. You can't do that with Kobe and that opens up the entire offense. Kobe shoots FT's better. He shoots 3's better and he is more competitive than Lebron. There are many games where the Lakers have been down and Kobe has willed them from behind for wins. Lebron hasn't done that YET (minus that Chicago series which was great).

That's funny right there. Lebron never willed those Cavs teams to victories?

In both their primes, Kobe is the better ball player. At this stage it isn't close. Hell 2 years ago when both players where on the US team, everyone agreed that Kobe Bryant was the best defender on the team and he played defense on other countries best players. Lebron was considered a poor defender until a couple years ago. Kobe is a better overall scorer. You have to guard him the entire court where as teams just try and stop Lebron from driving and give him the 3's most of the time. You can't do that with Kobe and that opens up the entire offense. Kobe shoots FT's better. He shoots 3's better and he is more competitive than Lebron. There are many games where the Lakers have been down and Kobe has willed them from behind for wins. Lebron hasn't done that YET (minus that Chicago series which was great).

Yeah this isn't 2008. LeBron passed Kobe during the '08-'09 season, and that was probably partly due to LeBron seeing how hard Kobe worked on both sides of the ball during the Olympics, and LeBron really stepped up his defense that year.

To say Kobe is better than LeBron right now is laughable. Aside from mid range jump shots, there isn't one thing Kobe does better. He just got shut down by Jason Kidd in the Mavs series, he couldn't even get in the lane against them. And this isn't because Kidd is some great defender, DWade has been destroying him in the finals.

Yeah this isn't 2008. LeBron passed Kobe during the '08-'09 season, and that was probably partly due to LeBron seeing how hard Kobe worked on both sides of the ball during the Olympics, and LeBron really stepped up his defense that year.

To say Kobe is better than LeBron right now is laughable. Aside from mid range jump shots, there isn't one thing Kobe does better. He just got shut down by Jason Kidd in the Mavs series, he couldn't even get in the lane against them. And this isn't because Kidd is some great defender, DWade has been destroying him in the finals.

WHO said that Kobe is better right now? I said very clearly in my opening sentence, "in their prime."

James is 26 years old. He hasn't even reached his prime yet.

Yes he has! He is 26 years old but he has been in the NBA for 8 seasons. Remember Kobe Bryant is only 32 but he has been in the league for 14 seasons and when you add that up, plus all the playoffs, etc, Kobe is really closer to 35 in NBA years. Same for Lebron. He is most definitely at the height of his career.

James is 26 years old. He hasn't even reached his prime yet.

This is a good point, and also his career is following a completely different path than Kobe's. Kobe came into the league on a very good team, which then became a great team, due in large part to him. He then was the major reason why that team broke up and spent his prime failing to carry a bad Lakers team past the first round of the playoffs.

LeBron got drafted onto a bad team, turned it into a very good team, then left to go to a potentially great team where he can run potentially run off a long string of titles.

LeBron realized a lot earlier in his career that one player can't win a title alone. Kobe wasted possibly the three best years of careers shooting 30 times a game trying to prove he didn't need anyone else.

Yes he has! He is 26 years old but he has been in the NBA for 8 seasons. Remember Kobe Bryant is only 32 but he has been in the league for 14 seasons and when you add that up, plus all the playoffs, etc, Kobe is really closer to 35 in NBA years. Same for Lebron. He is most definitely at the height of his career.

Three of Kobe's best four years came when he was 27-29. Is there any reason to suspect LeBron won't peak around the same age?

Three of Kobe's best four years came when he was 27-29. Is there any reason to suspect LeBron won't peak around the same age?

Kobe was in the peak of his career from 22-29 years old. The only difference was whether he was healthy. When he was 26 he missed 17 games with injury.

Lebron is and has been in the peak of his career for the last 3 seasons. It will last for the next 3-4 years would be my guess. Then he will continue to be really good but won't have the some spring in his step (just like Kobe hasn't)

Go look at the stats from game 5 in the 93' playoffs Bulls vs. Knicks. FYI Michael Jordan shot 3/18.

Moral of the story: Jordan clearly was a choker and sucked.

HAHA The ignorance continues. Love it. I feel like I'm on a Cyclone board.

Well maybe when LeBron actually wins something, the ignorance and hatred will start to stop. He's looking more like Scottie Pippen this series instead of MJ

Go look at the stats from game 5 in the 93' playoffs Bulls vs. Knicks. FYI Michael Jordan shot 3/18.

Moral of the story: Jordan clearly was a choker and sucked.

I think you mean game 3. (which Jordan almost had a triple double, 2 rebounds shy I believe. )

But it doesn't help your point.
Game 4: 54 points
Game 5: 29 pts, 10 reb, 14 assists.

Comparing one of Jordan's worst playoff games ever to Lebron is silly, considering that "terrible" game for Jordan is better than Lebron has done this entire series.

Jordan lowest playoff game-15 pts. Lebron tonight- 8 pts
Jordan lowest finals game-22 pts. Lebron's high this series- 24.

Last edited:
I think they screwed up giving the ball to Wade for the last possession. James is a better 3 point shooter and is 5 inches taller so he'd be a better bet to not get blocked.

As a side note, Spoelstra needs to start resting James at the end of the 3rd/beginning of the fourth. He played the entire second half without a break and I don't know if that is sustainable. He looked like he was resting on offense for parts of the 4th quarter.

I think they screwed up giving the ball to Wade for the last possession. James is a better 3 point shooter and is 5 inches taller so he'd be a better bet to not get blocked.

As a side note, Spoelstra needs to start resting James at the end of the 3rd/beginning of the fourth. He played the entire second half without a break and I don't know if that is sustainable. He looked like he was resting on offense for the entire game.

Fixed that for you. ;)

That is why the Jordan talk gets to me so much. James is good, but he isn't close to Jordan. Do you think Jordan (or even Kobe) would let anyone tell him that he is going to spot up in the corner on the final play. Even Scottie Pippen got pi$$ed when Phil Jackson wanted Kukoc to take the final shot. If he wants to be considered among the greatest, he has to change that mentallity and demand the ball in those situations.

Fixed that for you. ;)

That is why the Jordan talk gets to me so much. James is good, but he isn't close to Jordan. Do you think Jordan (or even Kobe) would let anyone tell him that he is going to spot up in the corner on the final play. Even Scottie Pippen got pi$$ed when Phil Jackson wanted Kukoc to take the final shot. If he wants to be considered among the greatest, he has to change that mentallity and demand the ball in those situations.

I just don't think that's who he is. He's not a "just give me the damn ball" type of guy.

The Jordan talk was at best premature and was nothing more than a media made creation to get something to talk about in between finals games. Pippen didn't do James any favors that's for sure. It wasn't fair to Jordan, who has six rings and a finished resume. It wasn't fair to James, who isn't even halfway finished with his career yet.

Latest posts