Greg Davis Still Sucks

Let's just talk about the Michigan win which Iowa lucked into. First of all, the Michigan offensive game plan was the worst ever. Worked right into the strengths of Iowa's defense. Michigan didn't use their athleticism against the lack of the use of athleticism on Iowa's defense. Then Michigan's QB got hurt in the final quarter. Luck. Ninety-nine times out of 100...

Oh, but kudos to you for being a complete and total cry baby about a win over a top 5 team. I mean honestly did you even enjoy the win, or does it just piss you off that KF and this team won a game?

Ahead by 20 points and on defense/offense? KF milks the game clock.
Behind by 20 points and on defense/offense? KF milks the game clock.
Tied and on defense/offense? KF milks the game clock.
Behind with little time on the game clock and on defense/offense? KF milks the game clock.
Ahead with little time on the game clock and on defense/offense? KF milks the game clock.
MILK THE GAME CLOCK is KF's mantra throughout the entire game under all circumstances. Why do you give KF credit, here, for milking the game clock at the end of the Michigan game?

This is like complimenting the sun for coming up in the morning and going down in the evening. That's what it's gonna do anyway. Just like KF taking time off the game clock, No specific strategy for the end of the game. That's what KF is gonna do anyway.

Side note: Can you imagine what transpires if the OC suggests no-huddle offense? Does it take time off the game clock? There's your answer.
Can you imagine what transpires if the OC suggests a faster, less sturdy and more elusive running back that doesn't block like a O Lineman? Does it take time off the game clock? There's your answer.
Can you imagine what transpires if the OC suggests taking shots down the field? Does it take time off the game clock? There's you answer.

Stop blaming every Iowa offensive foible on the OC.

Hey Homer, which team do you cheer for when you aren't trolling Iowa message boards?

What's it like when you have a bad week? Anyway that game was fun.

I don't get the whole being pissed off at a win and trying to convince people it was just "luck". I get upset when the Hawks get curb stomped by Penn St. and call the performance pathetic and unacceptable. When Iowa wins vs Michigan I am hugging fellow fans I don't know and warching the field full of celebrating Iowa fans........then I get to the interwebs and that is where I find the other crap.

Sorry Gold, I just don't get that, so I call it out as stupid as my brain just can't comprehend that sort of thinking. Maybe I'm the odd duck here and everyone thinks we should be bitching about KF "lucking" into a win because he always kills the clock. Maybe that is the real story and I'm completely missing it by celebrating the victory.....

I don't get the whole being pissed off at a win and trying to convince people it was just "luck". I get upset when the Hawks get curb stomped by Penn St. and call the performance pathetic and unacceptable. When Iowa wins vs Michigan I am hugging fellow fans I don't know and warching the field full of celebrating Iowa fans........then I get to the interwebs and that is where I find the other crap.

Sorry Gold, I just don't get that, so I call it out as stupid as my brain just can't comprehend that sort of thinking. Maybe I'm the odd duck here and everyone thinks we should be bitching about KF "lucking" into a win because he always kills the clock. Maybe that is the real story and I'm completely missing it by celebrating the victory.....

I enjoyed the win and don't think M gets 99 out of 100. M would be very tough to beat there, but at Iowa I think Iowa wins most. They have a very mediocre QB. Harbaugh really screwed up by not giving the running game more of a chance by handing off deep. Any coach who didn't shadow Wadley on that lost drive.... Couldn't believe he got a pass so wide open with nobody around. My kid shouted, "Is Harbaugh really that stupid?"

It wasn't one of Iowa's greatest, but it was a great win. Michigan took on an Iowa team that is very very good at certain aspects of the game and he played right into Iowa's strengths...and quite arrogantly. I knew the game was open at the safety. The win wasn't luck at all. However, a better M QB and Iowa can't cover it's weaknesses.

Now, that Iowa has so many huge weaknesses in so many years, that is something to talk about. I think what makes it maddening is that it might be easier if Iowa were typically a true 8-4 or 7-5 team. However, Iowa most often has the makings of a really really good team in aspects and isn't. It is particularly maddening to me is how many years the biggest weakness is the offensive line and their ability to play as a cohesive unit....

Oh, but kudos to you for being a complete and total cry baby about a win over a top 5 team. I mean honestly did you even enjoy the win, or does it just piss you off that KF and this team won a game?
Dean, how do you feel about this thread, then, that complains about the OC after a win against a top 5 team?

If I'm pizzed off at anything it's at posters like you who think KF was the reason why Iowa won against Michigan.
Michigan was the reason why Iowa won. The Michigan win doesn't, in the least, show the quality of this Iowa team. The next time an opponent uses their athleticism against Iowa defense's lack of the use of athleticism, Iowa is in trouble.

Last edited:
Kirk has said publicly that he has "veto power" over all play calls and spends most of his time with offensive coaches for game planning during the week.

Call me uniformed all you want. You obviously haven't been paying attention to the man's press conferences.
He absolutely does. He blew the call in Minnesota on 4th and 1 with Albert Young toting the rock. He lost that game at Michigan State with Shonn Greene because he made a stupid call that everyone could see coming. He has a terrible record of knowing what to call with the game on the line.

Dean, how do you feel about this thread, then, that complains about the OC after a win against a top 5 team?

If I'm pizzed off at anything it's at posters like you who think KF was the reason why Iowa won against Michigan.
Michigan was the reason why Iowa won. The Michigan win doesn't, in the least, show the quality of this Iowa team. The next time an opponent uses their athleticism against Iowa defense's lack of the use of athleticism, Iowa is in trouble.

Um where did I say we "won because of KF"? I said KF ran ran the final drive to perfection, setting up for an easy FG that would leave 0 seconds on the clock.

See unlike you, I use reason and logic when looking at situations. I know this is foreign to you, and you were seething with rage about the win on Saturday night, as you just KNEW that "posters like me" would give all the credit to KF. Yet most logical folks could see with their two eyes that KF totally out coached Harbaugh. It is what it is, and just because you are having a temper tantrum about the win, it doesn't mean that changes anything.

Please don't be that guy who obviously hasn't watched Hawkeye football for the last 18 years. Take a look at the current WR verbals. Do they fit your needs? Would they be properly used if they did? The answer to both is no.

Kirk has recruited speed but doesn't use it like he should. Canzeri was a track star. He only got the starting nod (yes I know he was a RB, the point is under-utilized speed) after everyone else went down. Remember Paul Chaney? Burner ------> Bench Warmer. Damond Powell? Fast -----> under-utilized. Keenan Davis? 4 star. Burnt his redshirt for no reason. Tevaun Smith? Woefully under-used. Willies? Coaches didn't like the fact he wanted the ball. Can you see where this is going?

Why don't they use Mitchell more at WR? Why not give D.King a few plays on offense? Maybe not burners, just playmakers. Hey, we could use those types at WR.

Look, I understand the WR complaint. But if you exonerate the coaches using the player excuse then that means we lost to NDSU cuz they have more talent. And that's just not true.

My apologies, I wasn't aware of the fandom duration requirements for making general statements about Iowa's lack of speed. I grew up in FL as a kid, and because of this I was a Gator fan most of my childhood. I started to follow the Hawks when I moved to Iowa, so while I haven't followed them for 18 years, I feel that my 14 years of fandom (4 of which occurred while attending Iowa) give me a large enough sample size to draw a simple conclusion.

Iowa has, and will always lack speed at the skill position. You named a handful of above average speed players over the last 10 years (FYI Keenan Davis - not a speedster). Damond Powell YES*, Tevaun Smith YES*, Willies...Did we see enough of him in an Iowa uniform to be included? Sure, I'll give it to you because I'm Iowa nice now. The fact of the matter is, Greg Davis' system would work. It would work well actually...but not at a school located in the middle of the country with a very small pool of elite speed to pull from. It worked at TX *Elite level speed* It could work at certain SEC schools. *Elite level speed* I would even venture to say, it would work at most PAC12 schools. *Elite level speed* Unfortunately for you, me, and the rest of these great fans it will never work at Iowa. Not because it's a bad system, but because Iowa does not have the talent to support it. You can disagree with me, and type until your fingers bleed, but this won't change the fact that Kirk & Co have not, and will never be able to consistently recruit speed at the WR position. Consistently is the key word here. You will have flashes of speed occasionally, but one speedster can be doubled or game planned against. Give GD 3 or 4 guys with Wadley level speed during a given year, and watch the magic unfold.

Best regards,

Um where did I say we "won because of KF"? I said KF ran ran the final drive to perfection, setting up for an easy FG that would leave 0 seconds on the clock.

See unlike you, I use reason and logic when looking at situations. I know this is foreign to you, and you were seething with rage about the win on Saturday night, as you just KNEW that "posters like me" would give all the credit to KF. Yet most logical folks could see with their two eyes that KF totally out coached Harbaugh. It is what it is, and just because you are having a temper tantrum about the win, it doesn't mean that changes anything.
Where does it say that I should not post about obvious deficiencies in Iowa's team just because they beat a top 5 school? You demanded that of me as a poster...yet you, willing, join in the discussion of badmouthing Davis after an Iowa win against a top 5 school. Hypocrisy, much?

Do you really know that much about the coaching ability of KF, 'cause if ya did, you would've realized KF, even though he knows so little about offense and how to make the offense productive, wants to maintain a firm hold on Iowa's offense?

It's like this magic trick you OC haters want to perform: 'Don't look at the hand'. Blame the OC for the offense's mistakes when KF, the ultimate conservative play caller, is heavily involved in play calling. It's funny and delirious.

And KF ran that last drive just like he runs every other drive, offense or defense, by taking as much time off the game clock as possible. That last drive was run to perfection?? You might as well compliment the sun for rising in the east and setting in the west. That's done all the time, too. The sun doesn't consider the situation before it rises or falls. Neither does KF..Way to go sun! You do things to perfection, too!

Last edited:
Where does it say that I should not post about obvious deficiencies in Iowa's team just because they beat a top 5 school? You demanded that of me as a poster...yet you, willing, join in the discussion of badmouthing Davis after an Iowa win against a top 5 school. Hypocrisy much? Do you really know that much about the coaching ability of KF, 'cause if ya did, you would've realized KF, even though he knows so little about offense and how to make the offense productive, wants to maintain a firm hold on Iowa's offense?

It's like this magic trick you OC haters want to perform: blame the OC for the offense's mistakes when KF, the ultimate conservative play caller, is heavily involved. It's funny and delirious.

And KF ran that last drive just like he runs every other drive, offense or defense, by taking as much time off the game clock as possible. That last drive was run to perfection?? You might as well compliment the sun for rising in the east and setting in the west,

I totally agree. Badmouthing the OC or head coach after a top 5 win is in bad form. Please find a post by me where I badmouthed Greg or Kirk at all in this thread following the Michigan win.

I celebrate wins, you are miserable when Iowa wins. I am miserable when Iowa loses, you are "see I told you so" when Iowa loses. The funny thing is I don't mind criticisms at all of Head coaches, OC/DC, assistant coaches, etc. It is just the over the top miserable posters that I will continue to challenge. The toxic crowd who only want to tear down a good win, the coaches, etc. It doesn't matter what happens, you will spew the same negative shit over, and over and over again.

I totally agree. Badmouthing the OC or head coach after a top 5 win is in bad form. Please find a post by me where I badmouthed Greg or Kirk at all in this thread following the Michigan win.

I celebrate wins, you are miserable when Iowa wins. I am miserable when Iowa loses, you are "see I told you so" when Iowa loses. The funny thing is I don't mind criticisms at all of Head coaches, OC/DC, assistant coaches, etc. It is just the over the top miserable posters that I will continue to challenge. The toxic crowd who only want to tear down a good win, the coaches, etc. It doesn't matter what happens, you will spew the same negative shit over, and over and over again.
Wow, you're all over the place, again. You're like a wack-a-mole. One goes down and another one pops up somewhere else.

GD has enough talent at WR to have a passing game better than what it is. I'm sorry but when you have athletes at Ill. St., and Western Michigan that throw for 287 and 218 respectively vs jNW that tells me it is more than just about WR "talent". Smith, Falconer, Scheel, McCareon all would be dominate WR at that level. Plenty of schools can throw the ball with much less WR talent than what Iowa has. It is about the scheme as well as the WR talent.
This answers your 'I didn't complain about GD after a top 5 win' statement, in the quoted of your post. This post of yours resides in this thread.

I celebrated Iowa going 12-0 last year. I celebrated even though there were many signs of bad play on both offense and defense. Another strawman from you.

This year's team has gotten intensively worse on both offense and defense since last season. Or maybe, Iowa just received a lot of good bounces in 2015. Maybe this is how (bad) Iowa is always going to be. I see that as an indication for the need of a HC change.

Last edited:
Wow, you're all over the place, again. You're like a wack-a-mole. One goes down and another one pops up somewhere else.

This answers your 'I didn't complain about GD after a top 5 win' statement, in the quoted of your post. This post of yours resides in this thread.

I celebrated Iowa going 12-0 last year. I celebrated even though there were many signs of bad play on both offense and defense. Another strawman from you.

This year's team has gotten intensively worse on both offense and defense since last season. Or maybe, Iowa just received a lot of good bounces in 2015. Maybe this is how (bad) Iowa is always going to be. I see that as an indication for the need of a HC change.

How in the world is that "bashing" GD? I also think that Phil has better athletes to be better on D and should have preformed better in several games. I also think that KF could be doing things that would make the team better. I have criticisms of all the coaches.....yet you call me an apologist. So I must not be "bashing" too much since you think all I do is slobber all over the coaches.

You weren't out there on the field too? I thought you were a real fan! ;)

Age is just a number

And my number is closer to saying "Get those Damned kids off my lawn" than it is to saying "I'm gonna storm the field with these guys!"

I took a happy medium approach and watch with joy as all those people had a great time celebrating on the field!

And my number is closer to saying "Get those Damned kids off my lawn" than it is to saying "I'm gonna storm the field with these guys!"

I took a happy medium approach and watch with joy as all those people had a great time celebrating on the field!

Actually it's irresponsible for Iowa to allow that. A few arrests would change that. Running among Michigan players could have bad consequences. Also losing CJ's helmet could have jeopardized KF's next meal.

Latest posts