Great effort, but such a deflating loss.

400 to 600 kids transfer every year, knowing they have to sit out. Maybe he thinks "I can transfer closer to home and play for a team that's got actual D-1 athletes, so it's worth sitting out a year."
Since when does a 20 year old athlete have to make sense with their decisions? Maybe he just hates college. It's not for everyone.
Where would closer to St Louis be? Columbia? Illinois? I think we can rule out that part of it anyway. But I get your overall point. Till time comes and goes for him to declare and he doesn't say he's not going it'll be a topic anyway.

Where would closer to St Louis be? Columbia? Illinois? I think we can rule out that part of it anyway. But I get your overall point. Till time comes and goes for him to declare and he doesn't say he's not going it'll be a topic anyway.
How about the University of St. Louis Billikens?

400 to 600 kids transfer every year, knowing they have to sit out. Maybe he thinks "I can transfer closer to home and play for a team that's got actual D-1 athletes, so it's worth sitting out a year."
Since when does a 20 year old athlete have to make sense with their decisions? Maybe he just hates college. It's not for everyone.

Oh I agree with that, kids don't make a lot of sense with their decisions - but somebody has to be in his ear.

If he hates college, why would he transfer to another one? If he wants to play professionally sooner then later he'll go to Europe or stay at Iowa. He won't get drafted, he won't be told he will get drafted. If he wants to play in the NBA sooner then later, transferring to a school closer to home to play with D1 athletes isn't going to accomplish that dream quicker. It's just my opinion - but Cook will play at Iowa next season. But I also think that any player leaving after a season like this isn't out of the question.

How about the University of St. Louis Billikens?

That's was a good program for a while when Majerus made it was it was. But how would be going to a team that has even less NCAA recent appearances help his status, all while sitting out a season. They haven't danced since the 13-14 season and being the best player on a bad B1G team is still a lot more exposure then being the best player on a middle of the row A10 team. There's more upside for Tyler to stay put at Iowa period....now will that be what he does? Who knows?

That's was a good program for a while when Majerus made it was it was. But how would be going to a team that has even less NCAA recent appearances help his status, all while sitting out a season. They haven't danced since the 13-14 season and being the best player on a bad B1G team is still a lot more exposure then being the best player on a middle of the row A10 team. There's more upside for Tyler to stay put at Iowa period....now will that be what he does? Who knows?
They have a new coach and he's already putting together good recruiting classes.

I wouldn't call it a deflating loss. Not even close.
Me either. Their body language against Purdue was way way worse
I don't get the Cook leaving narrative. I'm one of the most cynical posters here and even I won't self-flagellate to the degree it would take to assume he's leaving. There is zero indication.
I don't think anyone is actually thinking he will. Just that the possibility is there. Physically he's got that. The NBA drafts on potential especially in the 2nd round. The way the agents can get in kids ears so easily and inflating their worth to them ya just never know. I'd say there's a 10% chance of him going pro probably less and a 0% chance of him transferring. I don't see him doing that at all.

They have a new coach and he's already putting together good recruiting classes.

I don't doubt that - he's still 25-32 in his first 57 games there and the only thing he has to sell to Tyler is that he's close to home. Which didn't matter to Tyler when he came to Iowa, I doubt it does now. But I bet less exposure, sitting out a year and playing with a bunch of "gonna be great" recruits doesn't interest him. He was already sold that with Iowa. IMO, if he leaves it will be to play money ball over seas, not for another school. I'd never say never tho - and maybe they are ALL miserable right now.

I don't get the Cook leaving narrative. I'm one of the most cynical posters here and even I won't self-flagellate to the degree it would take to assume he's leaving. There is zero indication.
There are always rumors. It's hard to say if he will be back or won't be back. I can only tell you that If I was in his position, I'd rather try my hand at playing pro ball rather than come back and play for free with this roster.

Last edited:
There are always rumors. It's hard to say if he will be back or won't be back. I can only tell you that If I was in his position, I'd rather try my hand at playing pro ball rather than cone back and play for free with this roster.

and that's fair IMO - and totally something I could see. Just don't see him transferring to sit out if he ultimately wants to make $$. Though I'd argue that him transferring to a blue blood, sitting out a year and then killing it his junior year would probably be the best way.

It's crazy how many bigs now a days are handling the ball more. Be it Lebron kinda bringing that into the main stream nowadays or guys like Draymon Green and we can go rattling off lots of them. That said there's teams with big guys that are still role guys that just rebound run the floor/screen and score off of being fed passes by guys driving to the hoop. To me it's a combination of his overall floor game improving and hitting 15-18 footers. In the NBA you gotta catch and shoot those when you get them. Tim Duncan made a career of it

While I agree there are other niches to get you into the NBA they are just a much smaller percentage these days. And guys usually aren't taken early from college without being the prototype.

While I agree there are other niches to get you into the NBA they are just a much smaller percentage these days. And guys usually aren't taken early from college without being the prototype.
And that'd be a great counter point to any agent trying to persuade him otherwise.

Cook is getting over 27 minutes a game and going up against some of the best players in college basketball...and succeeding...sometimes even dominating. Why on earth would he transfer?

Latest posts