Great effort, but such a deflating loss.

It is time to sit Jordan and let him get healthy. Play Dailey at the point and tell Cook it's his team. Cook finally looked like a leader last night. He was getting into some hawks asses. Cook maybe just as bad as everyone at defense but he plays all out. Him and Garza need to force this effort out of everyone else. Jbo is great scorer and pretty good distributor, but he is a soft spoken kid and I don't see him ever being the vocal leader. This season is a waste. We need for our monster to establish himself as the leader for next year.

People bag on Cook alot, but he really is the best offensive post player I have ever seen in an Iowa jersey. Granted Tom Davis's 1991 team was my earliest memory of Iowa basketball. So before that is excluded from my statement.
I sure hope Cook comes back.... Dude is starting to really get it. He's starting to get a feel for how to make certain moves against how he's being defended. Earlier in the year it seemed like the moves he'd make were robotic and a bit predetermined. That's what gets you scouted and easier to defend. He's gotten better as this year has gone on. As is Garza in a similar way with his post play.

I sure hope Cook comes back.... Dude is starting to really get it. He's starting to get a feel for how to make certain moves against how he's being defended. Earlier in the year it seemed like the moves he'd make were robotic and a bit predetermined. That's what gets you scouted and easier to defend. He's gotten better as this year has gone on. As is Garza in a similar way with his post play.

He will be back. Pretty rare to go as a Sophomore. He still needs work and I doubt the NBA would project him as much else then a developmental league guy. If he has a monster year as a Junior he may have a chance otherwise he will play his 4 years here.

Cook isn't going anywhere unless it's to play hoops in Europe - transferring requires him to sit and there isn't a NBA guy in the world that would tell him he's ready. He's one of the best post players I've seen at Iowa as well. He's capable of playing good defense, he just doesn't. He whiffs or overplays on so many plays that result in wide open looks at the hoop. Same with the entire post D. Instead of going for the steal or big play, you have to be more disciplined and stay your ground and guard the hoop. These guys over commit and get burnt and leave the hole wide open - and there is no one playing help defense when that happens.

To his credit...Cook is trying to shoot a jump shot...and his free throw stroke looks pretty good...

Disinterested in defense it seems...and with little fundamental coaching...well, this is what you get...a team and players that are defensive sieves...

A team like Iowa is fun to play against...you don't have to work much for your shot...they are disinterested or unable to lock you down and frustrate you on defense...hang around, make some 3s...over...

Cook isn't going anywhere unless it's to play hoops in Europe - transferring requires him to sit and there isn't a NBA guy in the world that would tell him he's ready. He's one of the best post players I've seen at Iowa as well. He's capable of playing good defense, he just doesn't. He whiffs or overplays on so many plays that result in wide open looks at the hoop. Same with the entire post D. Instead of going for the steal or big play, you have to be more disciplined and stay your ground and guard the hoop. These guys over commit and get burnt and leave the hole wide open - and there is no one playing help defense when that happens.

The defense isn't really what is holding him back. It's ball handling and lack of consistent jumper IMO.

I think in another 2 years he could improve those and have a real chance of making an NBA roster. The NBA game is mostly about offensive skill set. Defense is pretty much optional for most teams throughout the regular season. I think Cook could swim in those waters. It is uncertain right now if he could have much offensive success even against average NBA defense. That is what he needs to improve to have a shot to make it. Everyone in the NBA has to be able to dribble. There are no weak ball handlers in the NBA. Even the bigs.

Yeah I agree. I don't think along with those of you that think Cook isn't/won't be ready for the NBA. But the guy has an NBA body and athleticism. He'll have agents trying to put that bug in his ear if they aren't already. He probably wouldn't be a 1st rounder but there's no telling if someone wouldn't take a flier on him in 2nd round. That could be all it'd take. The possibility of that. Some guys would rather be a bench warmer in the NBA then a star at Iowa.... I believe that's a direct Ricky Davis quote but I could be wrong. I don't know where Cooks head is on it. Till he says something towards it saying he's not leaving It'll be in the back of my mind anyway.

To his credit...Cook is trying to shoot a jump shot...and his free throw stroke looks pretty good...

Disinterested in defense it seems...and with little fundamental coaching...well, this is what you get...a team and players that are defensive sieves...

A team like Iowa is fun to play against...you don't have to work much for your shot...they are disinterested or unable to lock you down and frustrate you on defense...hang around, make some 3s...over...

Ya he is trying to develop it. It will take time. I don't have any problem with his offensive development. It just needs more. It's a step by step process for bigs. Develop post moves, check. Develop a jumper, work in progress. Then when defenses have to play you tight out to the 3 point line develop the skills to put the ball on the court and break down your defender. He is on the right path, just needs time. I believe he will get there.

Yeah I agree. I don't think along with those of you that think Cook isn't/won't be ready for the NBA. But the guy has an NBA body and athleticism. He'll have agents trying to put that bug in his ear if they aren't already. He probably wouldn't be a 1st rounder but there's no telling if someone wouldn't take a flier on him in 2nd round. That could be all it'd take. The possibility of that. Some guys would rather be a bench warmer in the NBA then a star at Iowa.... I believe that's a direct Ricky Davis quote but I could be wrong. I don't know where Cooks head is on it. Till he says something towards it saying he's not leaving It'll be in the back of my mind anyway.

Lol fair enough. I suppose alot of it would depend on how connected he is with his teammates. If he doesn't enjoy playing with this team then he could go. Although I think that road starts a leauge below NBA if it were today.

The defense isn't really what is holding him back. It's ball handling and lack of consistent jumper IMO.

I think in another 2 years he could improve those and have a real chance of making an NBA roster. The NBA game is mostly about offensive skill set. Defense is pretty much optional for most teams throughout the regular season. I think Cook could swim in those waters. It is uncertain right now if he could have much offensive success even against average NBA defense. That is what he needs to improve to have a shot to make it. Everyone in the NBA has to be able to dribble. There are no weak ball handlers in the NBA. Even the bigs.
It's crazy how many bigs now a days are handling the ball more. Be it Lebron kinda bringing that into the main stream nowadays or guys like Draymon Green and we can go rattling off lots of them. That said there's teams with big guys that are still role guys that just rebound run the floor/screen and score off of being fed passes by guys driving to the hoop. To me it's a combination of his overall floor game improving and hitting 15-18 footers. In the NBA you gotta catch and shoot those when you get them. Tim Duncan made a career of it

It is time to sit Jordan and let him get healthy. Play Dailey at the point and tell Cook it's his team. Cook finally looked like a leader last night. He was getting into some hawks asses. Cook maybe just as bad as everyone at defense but he plays all out. Him and Garza need to force this effort out of everyone else. Jbo is great scorer and pretty good distributor, but he is a soft spoken kid and I don't see him ever being the vocal leader. This season is a waste. We need for our monster to establish himself as the leader for next year.

People bag on Cook alot, but he really is the best offensive post player I have ever seen in an Iowa jersey. Granted Tom Davis's 1991 team was my earliest memory of Iowa basketball. So before that is excluded from my statement.

Cook has improved significantly this year. He's just a beast on offense. Its amazing to think what he could become at Iowa. That being said I believe he 100% returns next year. There's no way he's an NBA draft pick just yet. He still needs to work on his defense and his outside shot...which is coming along.

One area Iowa has dramatically improved lately is turnovers. Last 5 games: 8, 11, 8, 9, 11. Iowa actually had less turnovers than Michigan State and Penn State. Its still not translating to many wins yet, but its a solid improvement from the 15-20 turnover games from earlier in the season

Lol fair enough. I suppose alot of it would depend on how connected he is with his teammates. If he doesn't enjoy playing with this team then he could go. Although I think that road starts a leauge below NBA if it were today.
That I think is in our favor. Even with the rough season they are having I've read nothing but positive quotes from him about JBo mostly. But he seems pretty close with Pemsl too. I think that part helps with him staying anyway. Fran is clearly goin to him as much as possible so he know's he's the man. Yet I don't take him as being a selfish player out there really. I hope I'm talking out my you know what about this and he'll be back. Future is a heck of a lot brighter with him that's for sure

One area Iowa has dramatically improved lately is turnovers. Last 5 games: 8, 11, 8, 9, 11. Iowa actually had less turnovers than Michigan State and Penn State. Its still not translating to many wins yet, but its a solid improvement from the 15-20 turnover games from earlier in the season
Amen good observation. Early in the year those turnovers weren't even giving their offense the chance at keeping up with teams. They aren't as far off as it seems. A little better D. A little better at rebounding and overall offense and we can play with just about anyone.

. Yet I don't take him as being a selfish player out there really.
Case in point when he was leading the fast break to a 1v1 where he could have postered the MSU guy he kicked it out to Bohannon who drilled a 3. If that was Moss he would have bricked a eurostep

I don't even care anymore, probably won't even watch the OSU/Michigan games. Our last road game was a bitter pill to swallow.

400 to 600 kids transfer every year, knowing they have to sit out. Maybe he thinks "I can transfer closer to home and play for a team that's got actual D-1 athletes, so it's worth sitting out a year."
Since when does a 20 year old athlete have to make sense with their decisions? Maybe he just hates college. It's not for everyone.

Latest posts