Great effort, but such a deflating loss.

From MSU paper “
In no other sport is the play of the home team elevated to such a degree so often. If you watched the opening minutes of Michigan State’s game at Iowa, the difference between the two teams was evident. This wasn’t MSU at Maryland or Indiana. This was MSU against a Tyler Cook and a mid-major roster.”

He might be right, maybe many of us fans are fooling ourselves into thinking tts a coaching issue rather than a talent issue... I’m just sayin’...

Bohannon is too good of a shooter to be considered a mid major. He would be a solid backup at worst on almost any team. Other than that, we do have a lot of mid major talent (or guys who shouldn't be playing big minutes as underclassmen). But that is still a coaching issue.

Here’s the thing. Any power 5 team that shoots better than 50%, 45% from 3, 26 assists and only 8 turnovers should win 90% of the time or more. This team has lost games like that all year.

I don’t believe this team is incapable of playing defense, I think they are incapable of being coached to play defense.

Iowa's most glaring weakness IMO is, they have nobody on the team that knows how to block out and rebound on the defensive boards. Teams get way to many second and third chance shots.

Bring in Mr. Davis for some lessons in the art of rebounding and shot blocking. He could take a big skinny 7 footers and turn them into decent big men.

Played tough - showed they are capable of it - still resulted in the same thing, a loss. No moral victories - but if they could play like that every game, they'd definitely have more wins. That's not being positive, there is nothing positive to be gleaned from this season. It is a train wreck, but I am at least happy with the effort they showed last night and wish that they would do it consistently, is that ok to say or shall I be ridiculed?

U guys r 2 negative. Wieskamp is really good. I bet we can make the NIT next year with his scoring and that should be good enough for another contract extension.
I wouldn't wait until next year for the contract extension. After only losing by 3, other teams are going to want to snatch Fran away. Better up that buyout and extend the contract NOW!!

Played tough - showed they are capable of it - still resulted in the same thing, a loss. No moral victories - but if they could play like that every game, they'd definitely have more wins. That's not being positive, there is nothing positive to be gleaned from this season. It is a train wreck, but I am at least happy with the effort they showed last night and wish that they would do it consistently, is that ok to say or shall I be ridiculed?

Not ridiculed by me. However, the word tough usually goes hand in hand with defense.

If we played like that every game... Maybe we'd set the Big Record on most points per game allowed?

From MSU paper “
In no other sport is the play of the home team elevated to such a degree so often. If you watched the opening minutes of Michigan State’s game at Iowa, the difference between the two teams was evident. This wasn’t MSU at Maryland or Indiana. This was MSU against a Tyler Cook and a mid-major roster.”

He might be right, maybe many of us fans are fooling ourselves into thinking tts a coaching issue rather than a talent issue... I’m just sayin’...

I don't think it's Fran's coaching. It's his recruiting. Not a revelation though I'm sure.

Not ridiculed by me. However, the word tough usually goes hand in hand with defense.

If we played like that every game... Maybe we'd set the Big Record on most points per game allowed?

That might actually happen any ways right?

It is time to sit Jordan and let him get healthy. Play Dailey at the point and tell Cook it's his team. Cook finally looked like a leader last night. He was getting into some hawks asses. Cook maybe just as bad as everyone at defense but he plays all out. Him and Garza need to force this effort out of everyone else. Jbo is great scorer and pretty good distributor, but he is a soft spoken kid and I don't see him ever being the vocal leader. This season is a waste. We need for our monster to establish himself as the leader for next year.

People bag on Cook alot, but he really is the best offensive post player I have ever seen in an Iowa jersey. Granted Tom Davis's 1991 team was my earliest memory of Iowa basketball. So before that is excluded from my statement.

Bohannon is too good of a shooter to be considered a mid major. He would be a solid backup at worst on almost any team. Other than that, we do have a lot of mid major talent (or guys who shouldn't be playing big minutes as underclassmen). But that is still a coaching issue.
Yeah love him or hate him he's still a legit player. Just because he's not dunking on guys doesn't mean he can't play. You'll be hard pressed to find a better shooter out there. For my money when he's got his feet set in rhythm he's as good as it gets. Imagine if MG had his shooting touch and feel for the game how great of a player he'd have been.
Moss I think is a D1 talent that just can't be consistent. Baer is a guy any team would take as a role player. So that leaves Garza who was a top 100ish player lots of teams wanted. He's just a true frosh. So I think our roster is legit D1 talent wise. They just aren't good at D or playing together on that end of the floor. The bench however.... That has left a lot to be desired for the most part

Latest posts