Glover visit off, Iowa has a recruit already.

My thought is if they are not 100% sold on a PG prospect in this spring signing period being able to fit in their plans for the next two or three years, and if they feel a Hubbard can give them some PG minutes next year, then just bank the ride, and it makes the situation more attractive for a HS PG prospect next year like a Gessell, who is one of the higher rated kids at his position. I think that can be a possibility, but nobody knows.

I see your point of view. IMO Gessell won't be scared off by some late JUCO signee that will only be on his team for a year.

I also don't really believe in banking scholarships. I use to. But after seeing all the transfers from Iowa and Iowa State the last 5 years, I think its safe to say that not all guys are going to stay their entire career in IC.

I've heard it's a PG that (1) led his high school team to a state title, (2) has Big 10 experience and (3) comes from a basketball family.

His name is John something.

Does he know the "system" well? If so great get!

VOMIT.

I'd think the staff needs a full-time option at PG if Cartwright goes down to injury. Say he blows a knee in September. I can't see the staff risking the complete destruction of Year 2 by forcing Hubbard or Marble to play full-time out of position.

Nobody expects Iowa to contend for an NCAA tourney next year, but Fran wants to win now, and I don't think he'd want to risk a decline in attendance or hurt recruiting by not having a viable, full-time, second option at PG. The season would get ugly.

Not real related but Olesani better jump on board quick if he wants to, this staff just showed they do not wait around for prospects to go through the long drawn out process, they are always recruiting and if they find somebody of better or equal in their mind that wants to commit, they take it!

I've heard it's a PG that (1) led his high school team to a state title, (2) has Big 10 experience and (3) comes from a basketball family.

His name is John something.

I was with you until you wrote "led his . . . team". Now, I'm confused.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but what if:

We know that Glover and Hubbard are both looking at Nebby.

Nebby has 1 spot remaining.

Fran is forcing Glovers hand to take the Nebby offer thus Hubbard is almost 100% likely to commit to Iowa.

If that is the case then I NEVER want to play poker with Fran.

My thought is if they are not 100% sold on a PG prospect in this spring signing period being able to fit in their plans for the next two or three years, and if they feel a Hubbard can give them some PG minutes next year, then just bank the ride, and it makes the situation more attractive for a HS PG prospect next year like a Gessell, who is one of the higher rated kids at his position. I think that can be a possibility, but nobody knows.

I think this would be a huge mistake. You don't try to make things look more attractive two years from now by screwing us over next season. Besides, I can't see Gessell being intimidated by anyone(most of the good ones never are). And he's a PG by nature while Glover is more of a combo.

Fran is forcing Glovers hand to take the Nebby offer thus Hubbard is almost 100% likely to commit to Iowa.

Glover is still looking at PSU though. That scenario could double backfire on Caff.

Last edited:
Possibly Darius Smith? No insider info just a name that I remember hearing, does not have an offer according to Rivals

Actually you should play poker with him as you've figured out his bluff move. He'd be putty in your hands. On the other hand, I don't think Fran would want to play poker with you.

Possibly Darius Smith? No insider info just a name that I remember hearing, does not have an offer according to Rivals

He is one name that has not come up lately. I believe he might have even visited Iowa back when he was in HS in chicago,as Iowa was recruiting him back then....but,still probably a longshot. I would not mind getting him,tho,as he can defend and play both guard positions,and would free up another scholly in 2013.

Hope that Gesell ultimately does commit...as soon as possible...we need to get rolling on 2012.

I dont know what Im more excited for. To hear who the new commit is or to watch CAAR take this lemonade and turn it back into lemons.

Come now. My hole rap, from before Fran was hired, has been what needs to happen in recruiting (whomever got hired) by the new hire's second November. I also haven't asked for the moon or a bunch of four and five star recruits.

People just see me as a Debbie Downer because it hasn't quite happened yet and I have had the audacity to state that it hasn't happened. But really the only way this is pessimistic thinking is if you think Fran can't succeed. I have not said this, I have only set a timeline. Which, is based on 10 years of recruiting analysis.

Now, just like the guy who says Ricky Stanzi is the only sure thing at the QB spot in the upcoming NFL Draft.

you might not agree with my analysis. But if so, get mad at the data, not me.

Come now. My hole rap, from before Fran was hired, has been what needs to happen in recruiting (whomever got hired) by the new hire's second November. I also haven't asked for the moon or a bunch of four and five star recruits.

People just see me as a Debbie Downer because it hasn't quite happened yet and I have had the audacity to state that it hasn't happened. But really the only way this is pessimistic thinking is if you think Fran can't succeed. I have not said this, I have only set a timeline. Which, is based on 10 years of recruiting analysis.

Now, just like the guy who says Ricky Stanzi is the only sure thing at the QB spot in the upcoming NFL Draft.

you might not agree with my analysis. But if so, get mad at the data, not me.

Got a link for your data?

I think this would be a huge mistake. You don't try to make things look more attractive two years from now by screwing us over next season. Besides, I can't see Gessell being intimidated by anyone(most of the good ones never are). And he's a PG by nature while Glover is more of a combo.

I would have to agree. Why gamble next season on the chance that you might be successful in attracting a potential future recruit. A high school kid at that, who could change his mind in a minute....

Got a link for your data?

I am going to have to recreate the thing over the summer. I have had enough people ask for the content after I first did it, but I used an old computer that I fried. I also think I will use Rivals instead of Scout as my data base. Basically, I just went through every major conference new hire since 2000 who had at least completed his third November signing period and counted the number of 1 star, 2, star, 3 star, 4 star, and 5 star recruits.

Basically, coaches that didn't experience a successful turn in recruiting by the November class of after their first full year were not able to eventually have success. I covered new major conference hires since 2002 and only used coaches who had completed their third fall of recruiting.

The only two guys that didn't do it by year two, but were able to do it by year three were Horn from SC and Montgomery from Cal. No one else ever did. However, as I said in other places, I wasn't looking at victories, only an upturn in recruiting. I will need to add this for things like player development as a factor. Also, I wasn't looking for world beater classes. Really, just solid classes of three star and above players without significant left open scholarships.

The biggest thing that stood out was how REALLY difficult it was to turn around a program unless the coach was a superstar name, or it was a legendary program. Some guys had the magic to do it, but most couldn't, including Lick and Mac.

So, people see my comments as a knock on Fran, but it did the work before his was hired and would say the same as anyone.

according to a post on TOS evidently Kakert called Hubbard and was told Hubbard has not committed, it's not him....

oh, the drama!

I am going to have to recreate the thing over the summer. I have had enough people ask for the content after I first did it, but I used an old computer that I fried. I also think I will use Rivals instead of Scout as my data base. Basically, I just went through every major conference new hire since 2000 who had at least completed his third November signing period and counted the number of 1 star, 2, star, 3 star, 4 star, and 5 star recruits.

Basically, coaches that didn't experience a successful turn in recruiting by the November class of after their first full year were not able to eventually have success. I covered new major conference hires since 2002 and only used coaches who had completed their third fall of recruiting.

The only two guys that didn't do it by year two, but were able to do it by year three were Horn from SC and Montgomery from Cal. No one else ever did. However, as I said in other places, I wasn't looking at victories, only an upturn in recruiting. I will need to add this for things like player development as a factor. Also, I wasn't looking for world beater classes. Really, just solid classes of three star and above players without significant left open scholarships.

The biggest thing that stood out was how REALLY difficult it was to turn around a program unless the coach was a superstar name, or it was a legendary program. Some guys had the magic to do it, but most couldn't, including Lick and Mac.

So, people see my comments as a knock on Fran, but it did the work before his was hired and would say the same as anyone.

Actually, I think what has bothered people is the implication that Fran hasn't made enough progress yet. You outline the second November as a critical period, which is a good point, but yet you seem extremely skeptical that he'll find quality recruits between now and then.

The earlier implication that Dillard should be replaced for his inability to recruit thus far didn't help your cause.

I respect the research, but we need to let this play out further. You seem a bit too eager to prove your point on this.

Latest posts