Give Gesell The Keys - QCTimes.com

There is no doubt in my mind about Mike G starting every game and driving this team in hyperspeed. He will not be Ronnie Lester, BJ Armstrong, Andre Woolridge, Dean Oliver, or Jeff Horner, but he more than likely be considered in their company when he graduates from Iowa. He is the goods and is a Perfect fit for the Fran era Hawkeyes....

:)

Where have you been, Jack? Was there a ban hammer I'm unaware of or have I just not been here when you're here?

Where have you been, Jack? Was there a ban hammer I'm unaware of or have I just not been here when you're here?
No banhammer, Shane, been spending time with relatives from out of town for a while, and have been neglecting my duties.....

I am diligent about avoiding the banhammer, sometimes I have to delete a post after viewing it to remove all evidence.....

I wish I had gotten the chance to watch Lester. I grew up to stories about him.

At the risk of turning this into a Ronnie Lester thread, yeah, he was the best. I'll never forget watching him play in that 1980 tournament. Smooth as silk and completely impossible to defend. Man that was a fun ride till he went down with that injury.

At the risk of turning this into a Ronnie Lester thread, yeah, he was the best. I'll never forget watching him play in that 1980 tournament. Smooth as silk and completely impossible to defend. Man that was a fun ride till he went down with that injury.
We might have been National Champs that year without his injury, which occurred early in the season at Dayton when we were ahead by 20 points near the end of the game.....

Then Roger Burkman put him on the floor in the Final Four with a borderline dirty play which won the game for Darryl Griffith and Louisville.....

He was something to watch. I remember seeing him for the first time on TV against Northwestern and I was amazed at how good he was as a freshman. He came to Iowa without any hoopla, and graduated as an All American.....

not being able to stop anyone helps offensive stats too

Not really. Letting them score lets them run back and set up a defense.

Good defense is the best thing for a good offense, especially the way Fran likes to play.

not being able to stop anyone helps offensive stats too
Not really. Letting them score lets them run back and set up a defense. Good defense is the best thing for a good offense, especially the way Fran likes to play.

yea really. if you play good defense you take more time off the clock then if they get a quick shot. white scored a lot of fast break points off made shots at the other end also

yea really. if you play good defense you take more time off the clock then if they get a quick shot. white scored a lot of fast break points off made shots at the other end also

So, to get this straight, your telling me that the best thing for the offense is to let the other team get a quick, easy shot, and then we should beat them off down the floor after the make?

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

So, to get this straight, your telling me that the best thing for the offense is to let the other team get a quick, easy shot, and then we should beat them off down the floor after the make?Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

i am not going to agree that bad defense is good for offense. but the quicker the other team scores the quicker you can score. it isnt great for winning championships but is good for putting up big numbers. ask mike dantoni.

any team can fastbreak off a steal. that doesnt mean you are a good fastbreak team. real fastbreak teams can fastbreak off a made basket.

i think we will be looking at more 3/4 and full court defense to try to speed the other team up and cause bad shots and steals. this will give up some easy shots too but higher tempo is a higher risk reward style.

So, to get this straight, your telling me that the best thing for the offense is to let the other team get a quick, easy shot, and then we should beat them off down the floor after the make?Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

if we let the other team go down and score quickly every time we would have the best offensive stats in the nation. you make it sound like you are guaranteed fast break points after every missed shot

i am not going to agree that bad defense is good for offense. but the quicker the other team scores the quicker you can score. it isnt great for winning championships but is good for putting up big numbers. ask mike dantoni.any team can fastbreak off a steal. that doesnt mean you are a good fastbreak team. real fastbreak teams can fastbreak off a made basket.i think we will be looking at more 3/4 and full court defense to try to speed the other team up and cause bad shots and steals. this will give up some easy shots too but higher tempo is a higher risk reward style.

exactly. no one is saying that's how you win games. the discussion was about gesells stats and how bad defense will make for more assists

if we let the other team go down and score quickly every time we would have the best offensive stats in the nation. you make it sound like you are guaranteed fast break points after every missed shot

I do not make it sound that way. Everyone knows that it is easier to score fast-break points off of turnovers, it's basic basketball strategy. I mean, like day one stuff. It baffles me that I would need to explain this to anyone.

I don't see the point of discussing this with you since you are either extremely obtuse, or lack any knowledge of how basketball is played.

so you're saying the fact that its easier to fast break of a miss makes up for how much time goes off the clock playing good defense? I will stick by my original statement that gesell would average more assists if we gave up a lot of quick baskets then he would if we played tough D and ran down the shot clock

>He will not be Ronnie Lester, BJ Armstrong, Andre Woolridge, Dean Oliver,
>or Jeff Horner, but he, more than likely, will be considered in their company when he graduates from Iowa.

If he is not better than Horner I will be very dissapointed. I personally think he will play at NBA and have great 4 years at Iowa. The kid is very smart, has a smart game and very good physical skills. he will make evryone a better player around him. Iowa BB will be in good hands next 4 years.

so you're saying the fact that its easier to fast break of a miss makes up for how much time goes off the clock playing good defense? I will stick by my original statement that gesell would average more assists if we gave up a lot of quick baskets then he would if we played tough D and ran down the shot clock

I don't give half a crap how many assists Gesell gets. I don't care how many points he, or anyone scores.

I do care if the team wins games. I don't think the way to win games in the best league in the country is to make the other team score faster to pump your players stats.

I don't give half a crap how many assists Gesell gets. I don't care how many points he, or anyone scores. I do care if the team wins games. I don't think the way to win games in the best league in the country is to make the other team score faster to pump your players stats.

if you don't care then don't join in a conversation about gesell and make it about how we should try to win games down the road. and if you are going to do that at least say something less obvious then "its easier to win games playing good D then bad D"

if you don't care then don't join in a conversation about gesell and make it about how we should try to win games down the road. and if you are going to do that at least say something less obvious then "its easier to win games playing good D then bad D"

Don't try and lecture me on what I should and shouldn't talk about. Our entire thread was based on your response to me; so you stared the conversation, not I. And for the record, your comment was,

"not being able to stop anyone helps offensive stats too"

So you really can't double back and accuse me of saying
"its easier to win games playing good D then bad D",

when you straight up said bad defense helps stats. My comment was I don't care about stats, I care about wins. You comments clearly show that stats are pretty important to you, even if we have to play bad defense to get them.

Don't try and lecture me on what I should and shouldn't talk about. Our entire thread was based on your response to me; so you stared the conversation, not I. And for the record, your comment was,"not being able to stop anyone helps offensive stats too" So you really can't double back and accuse me of saying "its easier to win games playing good D then bad D",when you straight up said bad defense helps stats. My comment was I don't care about stats, I care about wins. You comments clearly show that stats are pretty important to you, even if we have to play bad defense to get them.

I was commenting on a post about how many assists gesell will average. I said uptempo will help his stats then someone mentioned defense and I said bad defense helps offensive stats too. you argued that that's not true. do you still stand behind that argument?

so when someone says that bad defense makes for better offensive stats, you think that means i hope we play bad defense? can't argue with that logic

hey oates, I can't remember and I'm to lazy to go back and look, were you saying its easier to win games by playing good defense or bad defense?

also if you could share your wisdom on whether it would be more beneficial to play good offense or bad offense it would be greatly appreciated

Latest posts