Give Gesell The Keys - QCTimes.com

I don't think anyone is expecting Mike to come in and contend for First or Second team All-B1G. But I don't think it is out of the question to think he is going to average around 10 points and 4 assists, which for a true freshman in the toughest league in the country, is pretty damn good. I think he is going to be what makes our offense go. When he is off, we will still have a pretty good offense (Marble, White, Ogels3, ect.). But when he is on....our offense is going to be VERY smooth and VERY fluid. Again, I don't think its out of the question for our offense to make a jump into the top 25 as far as efficiency ratings go (T53 last year).

Well then you didn't read the first 5 pages.:D

I know someone who is hyper critical of players he played or coached against....if he went against MJ he would claim jordan was overrated....and he was raving about how impressive Gesell was....so it kind of confirmed what I thought....he is the real deal.

I know someone who is hyper critical of players he played or coached against....if he went against MJ he would claim jordan was overrated....and he was raving about how impressive Gesell was....so it kind of confirmed what I thought....he is the real deal.

What the?

He is going to be better than Paige

When Paige's team played Gesell's team at Sioux City last year, Paige was heads above Gesell. Much quicker, and better hops, and shot very well that game. Based on that 1 game that I saw, I was impressed with Gesell, but Paige appeared to be much better than Gesell. Would have been great to have both coming to Iowa. Time to move on.

I will take all bets from people who would bet that Gesell averages less than 5 assists. The way he plays, he will get 4-5 just by getting some penetration and kicking it out to White, Ogelsby, or McCabe.

I honestly think he averages 11 and 8 and the assist number could be low. With the number of players we have that can absolutely fly down the floor, he's going to have a ton of opportunities to dish the ball to some serious finishers.

There have been a lot of doozies on this board, but this one might take the cake.

First off, 8 assists/game would have placed him third in the COUNTRY in assist/game had he played last year. Not the conference, but the COUNTRY. Really?

Second, the Iowa record for assists in a season is 193, held by Andre Wooldridge. That equated to 6 assists/game. There has never, in the history of the program, been a player that averaged 7 assists/game (Cal Walfsberg came the closest in 1976 at 6.6/game). Even the great BJ Armstrong, who played on a team in 1989 that averaged 98 points/game for an entire season couldn't average more than 6 assists per game. Yet you claim that this kid is going to come in in Year 1 and put up an assist number that no one in the history of the Iowa program has ever put up? Really?

Maybe you can avg that many on your PS3, but this ain't video games and Gesell ain't putting up 8 assists this coming season or any other season he plays. Period.

When Paige's team played Gesell's team at Sioux City last year, Paige was heads above Gesell. Much quicker, and better hops, and shot very well that game. Based on that 1 game that I saw, I was impressed with Gesell, but Paige appeared to be much better than Gesell. Would have been great to have both coming to Iowa. Time to move on.
Paige played the point and Gesell played the two. He set Paige up a lot and they played well as a team. I saw Gesell in Arizona last year and he played some of the best talent in the SW and he was head and shoulders above everyone. Opposing players were very complimentary of his skills. Paige is an awesome guard and I would have loved to have the two of them at Iowa. Don't discount Gesell based on one game you saw. I saw him in 4 games and wasn't disappointed in any of them.

I will take all bets from people who would bet that Gesell averages less than 5 assists. The way he plays, he will get 4-5 just by getting some penetration and kicking it out to White, Ogelsby, or McCabe.

I honestly think he averages 11 and 8 and the assist number could be low. With the number of players we have that can absolutely fly down the floor, he's going to have a ton of opportunities to dish the ball to some serious finishers.

I will take that bet, I love Gesell as much as anybody but it would be a stretch for him to average more than 5 assists per game. With all the talent BJ had around him he did not average over 5 assists per game until his senior year. Dean Oliver never had a season where he averaged over 5 apg and Horner did it his junior and senior season.

with Frans style of play a lot of records will probably be broken. 8 assists is to high but he has a chance to break all the assist records by the time he is done

People inflate their expectations every year around this time due to PTL games. Last year Eric May was going to be the next Luke Recker etc., etc., etc.

Gesell has a very balanced skill set, but there is going to be a huge adjustment period for him. There is probably only going to be 1 or 2 other fresman pg's in the Big Ten to start next year so he is going to constantly be facing more physical and experienced players.

I'm willing to bet Fran is smart with him and won't overexert him early in the season kind of like he did with White. They constantly talked about how White had to build his stamina early on; I think you will see the same with MG. Hopefully AC has some ability to play next year and you still have the option of playing Marble at pg to relieve MG.

If he can average 8ppg and 4asts with a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio, it will be a successful season.

The guy hasn't played one game yet and you are comparing him to Woolridge, Oliver and Horner. He has potential but man that is setting the kid up for failure. Woolridge had one of the better single seasons in Hawk history, Horner has a lot of career accolades and Oliver played in the NBA for 2 yrs followed by 7-8 years in Europe.

I think MG may have the best supporting cast though starting out his career which can help a ton.

The guy hasn't played one game yet and you are comparing him to Woolridge, Oliver and Horner. He has potential but man that is setting the kid up for failure. Woolridge had one of the better single seasons in Hawk history, Horner has a lot of career accolades and Oliver played in the NBA for 2 yrs followed by 7-8 years in Europe.

I think MG may have the best supporting cast though starting out his career which can help a ton.

gesell is coming in with a very similar resume and skill set. whats wrong with that?

gesell is coming in with a very similar resume and skill set. whats wrong with that?

I would say most division I pg recruits have a similar skill set and that is why they are recruited at that level....They are all athletic and talented but that doesn't necessarily translate to one of the top 5-6 pg's in Iowa basketball history.

Remember Mike Henderson? People put similar expectations on him and he had a pretty decent career, but not in the same breath as the three guys mentioned.

I'm just saying there is more of a chance of him being like Mike Henderson than being like Woolridge or Oliver.

The guy hasn't played one game yet and you are comparing him to Woolridge, Oliver and Horner. He has potential but man that is setting the kid up for failure. Woolridge had one of the better single seasons in Hawk history, Horner has a lot of career accolades and Oliver played in the NBA for 2 yrs followed by 7-8 years in Europe. I think MG may have the best supporting cast though starting out his career which can help a ton.

because if you say he will be good you will make him fail

because if you say he will be good you will make him fail

People aren't saying he will be "good". They are saying he will be one of the best to play the position in the history of Iowa basketball. You have one guy predicting 8+ assists per game before he's even stepped on the court.

I'm just saying expectations should be tempered a bit because "realistically" the odds of him averaging 10+ ppg and 5 + assists per game are not all that great.

I want the kid to be great and the Hawks to be great.

with Frans style of play a lot of records will probably be broken. 8 assists is to high but he has a chance to break all the assist records by the time he is done

Fran doesnt play near as fast as Mr. Davis's teams did....yet somehow records will be broken? Not likely.

There is no doubt in my mind about Mike G starting every game and driving this team in hyperspeed. He will not be Ronnie Lester, BJ Armstrong, Andre Woolridge, Dean Oliver, or Jeff Horner, but he, more than likely, will be considered in their company when he graduates from Iowa. He is the goods and is a Perfect fit for the Fran era Hawkeyes....

:)

Last edited:

Latest posts