Give Gesell The Keys - QCTimes.com

Andre Woolridge: A physical PG who could use his physicality to get off a good shot anytime he wanted. This made him the focal point of our offense post-Settles. Good shooter and ball-handler. NOT a speed demon. Lack of speed is why he didn't make it in the NBA.

Dean Oliver: Good quickness with an elite burst. Great handle, penetrator, and team manager. OK shooter.

Jeff Horner: Great shooter, great handle, and great team manager. Average speed.

Mike Gesell is a freshman. The above had great 3-4 year careers at Iowa. At this point one can only project what Mike will do. But I think he shows the SIGNS and POTENTIAL of being as great a shooter and team manager as Horner, the quickness and penetrating ability of Oliver, the ability to score at will like Woolridge without his physicality. He could be the best PG at Iowa since B.J. Armstrong and has the potential to be better than Armstrong. High praise? Sure. But once again this speaks to Gesell's potential ceiling and apparent attitude and drive to reach that ceiling. It could sure be a great ride.

So to sum it up, Gesell is a great shooter, has great quickness, manages a great game, and can score at will? Gee, how did 80 guys get ranked higher than him? You just described Steve Nash.

So to sum it up, Gesell is a great shooter, has great quickness, manages a great game, and can score at will? Gee, how did 80 guys get ranked higher than him? You just described Steve Nash.

I notice you didn't get all the conditions I put in Caps about this being signs that indicated POTENTIAL. Gesell isn't Steve Nash. But sure, that potential is there. I wouldn't be shocked for him to be there in a few years. Just to be clear, that potential isn't there for very many players. There is a difference between potential and immediate performance. You can see that, right? For just the potential to be there is exciting as a fan. Now let's see if he can reach it.

Let's all step back from the ledge for a minute here.....

1. Last I looked, there wasn't a lot of defense played in either AAU ball or the PTL. I'll reserve judgment until I see him play against B1G defenses.

2. He's still a freshman and as such, hasn't played a season of 30+ games...of which nearly 20 of those will be against B1G teams night in and night out.

3. As a freshman, he has never experienced the sheer physicality that awaits him (especially in a rugby-type league like the B1G).

I like the potential he brings to the PG spot which is definitely key in Fran's system. But the comparisons to Horner, Oliver, Woolridge and BJ are absolutely absurd at this point. But hey, that's what message boards are for, I guess. :)

I know Lester was probably before most of you guys time but he was damn good. When you heard Ronnie was the one shooting the ball you expected it to go in. Incidentally it was the last time Iowa went to the final four. I hope it all pans out as Iowa fans have been waiting along time.

Let's all step back from the ledge for a minute here..... 1. Last I looked, there wasn't a lot of defense played in either AAU ball or the PTL. I'll reserve judgment until I see him play against B1G defenses. 2. He's still a freshman and as such, hasn't played a season of 30 games...of which nearly 20 of those will be against B1G teams night in and night out. 3. As a freshman, he has never experienced the sheer physicality that awaits him (especially in a rugby-type league like the B1G). I like the potential he brings to the PG spot which is definitely key in Fran's system. But the comparisons to Horner, Oliver, Woolridge and BJ are absolutely absurd at this point. But hey, that's what message boards are for, I guess. :)

thank you...this is why i continue to say we may struggle at first before he gets his legs under him. he will be playing a different style of basketball...i am not talking about tempo...i am talking about the difference between playing against hs players (even aau and ptl style games) vs. playing b10 physical basketball. gesell has a lot of potential and talent but he has to prove it.

I notice you didn't get all the conditions I put in Caps about this being signs that indicated POTENTIAL. Gesell isn't Steve Nash. But sure, that potential is there. I wouldn't be shocked for him to be there in a few years. Just to be clear, that potential isn't there for very many players. There is a difference between potential and immediate performance. You can see that, right? For just the potential to be there is exciting as a fan. Now let's see if he can reach it.

That's just ridiculous.

the thing i do notice when i watch gesell is he isnt the shooter horner was or the strength of woolridge or the quickness of oliver. but he seems to have enough of each of those. and the guy he reminds me of when he plays is armstrong. obviously he has a long way to go to even be in a discussion with bj but their games are similar. i dont expect him to play more than 25 min this first yr...i project about 20+...with clemmons kicking in 15+ and marble picking up what ever is left over at the pg spot. maybe clemmons plays more min if some of gesell's are at the 2 spot. but lets not expect the kid to come in and set the world on fire. he will be good.

I don't think anyone is expecting Mike to come in and contend for First or Second team All-B1G. But I don't think it is out of the question to think he is going to average around 10 points and 4 assists, which for a true freshman in the toughest league in the country, is pretty damn good. I think he is going to be what makes our offense go. When he is off, we will still have a pretty good offense (Marble, White, Ogels3, ect.). But when he is on....our offense is going to be VERY smooth and VERY fluid. Again, I don't think its out of the question for our offense to make a jump into the top 25 as far as efficiency ratings go (T53 last year).

I know Lester was probably before most of you guys time but he was damn good. When you heard Ronnie was the one shooting the ball you expected it to go in. Incidentally it was the last time Iowa went to the final four. I hope it all pans out as Iowa fans have been waiting along time.

I wish I had gotten the chance to watch Lester. I grew up to stories about him.

With the kind of talent coming in, competition will be strong during practice (which will only make this team better imo)....and that will translate into being more competitive on the court when the season starts, regardless of what combination of people are out there...Having a young man like Gesell coming in makes me feel a whole lot better...And we must remember he's only a freshman, and he will make mistakes, but I can see this kid after a Big10 season under his belt being one of the best by the time he leaves Iowa...maybe not as good as Lester, or some of the others mentioned, but I will say he will be towards the top....can't wait to see him just play ball

I will take all bets from people who would bet that Gesell averages less than 5 assists. The way he plays, he will get 4-5 just by getting some penetration and kicking it out to White, Ogelsby, or McCabe.

I honestly think he averages 11 and 8 and the assist number could be low. With the number of players we have that can absolutely fly down the floor, he's going to have a ton of opportunities to dish the ball to some serious finishers.

I will take all bets from people who would bet that Gesell averages less than 5 assists. The way he plays, he will get 4-5 just by getting some penetration and kicking it out to White, Ogelsby, or McCabe.I honestly think he averages 11 and 8 and the assist number could be low. With the number of players we have that can absolutely fly down the floor, he's going to have a ton of opportunities to dish the ball to some serious finishers.

bj armstrong - 5.2 assists in sr yr
andre woolridge - 6.0 assists in sr yr
dean oliver - 4.8 assists in sr yr

and that was just quick looking. you are putting 8 assists per game for a frosh. you are saying he will not only be the all-time assist leader at iowa (after 4 yrs) but he will destroy the record at that pace. please put down the drugs. if he can do what you are saying we are looking at a guy that leaves after 1 or 2 yrs. based on your numbers if he plays 24 min per game that is 1 assist every 3 min (or over 13 assists in 40 min)...if he plays 32 min that is 1 assist every 4 min (or 10 assists in 40 min). that is expecting a lot out of a frosh.

will you want to burn him at the stake when he doesnt average 8 assists a game?

that comment is just below herby saying gabe would average a double double and that woodbury would average 5 blocks per game.

I had the pleasure of watching Lester and I still believe today he was the best guard Iowa ever had. He was so smooth and quick. It was a shame he got the injuries. Magic Johnson said he was the best guard he had ever seen. Great memories.

I will take all bets from people who would bet that Gesell averages less than 5 assists. The way he plays, he will get 4-5 just by getting some penetration and kicking it out to White, Ogelsby, or McCabe.

I honestly think he averages 11 and 8 and the assist number could be low. With the number of players we have that can absolutely fly down the floor, he's going to have a ton of opportunities to dish the ball to some serious finishers.

Lots of ridiculous in this thread

Latest posts