getting a new coach

I disagree. Oregon was a doormat in the Pac 10 for generations. They switched and it made them a successful offense. Baylor was a doormat in the Big 12. Ditto. West Virginia in the ACC. You do not have to run power football here. I would also argue that you have to have more talented players on both sides of the ball to run power football. Bigger, stronger, and faster players that can assert their will on opposing teams on both sides of the ball. If you can't do that, in power football, you lose.

The spread, air raid, option are run in college because they are vastly easier to run than pro-style offenses. They require less specialized personnel. They use numbers to overwhelm specific parts of a field. They avoid tendencies by doing everything out of the same look. The playbooks are smaller. They control the scoreboard over controlling the ball.

If power football were really better for less-talented teams, every non-power 5 conference team would be running it. They don't. They run the spread, because they can't recruit the talent necessary to run power, pro-style football.

The problem at Iowa is that there are 0 skill players, because the offense doesn't attract skill players. It doesn't work, because they don't recruit at a high enough level to be successful with it, even on the line and at tight end. WRs run wind sprints. RBs have to run against 9 man fronts because no one else is a threat, and one great O-lineman can't block 9 guys. Talented speed players can't make an impact because the offense is predicated on being bigger and faster than the team they are facing, and that almost never happens in a power 5 conference. At best, it's even, and then the team that makes the least mistakes usually wins. It does nothing to tip the odds of winning in the favor of your team.

Just because you have powerful O-lineman and good tight ends doesn't mean you can't go up-tempo and score points and be dynamic on offense. You don't have to go spread-option like Georgia Tech. But you could run Oregon's, TCU's, or Boise State's offense successfully here, and score more points, and have more big plays.

Running the pro-style does nothing unless you have more pro-caliber talent than you don't.

Agree, the term "spread" can involve a wide range of schemes. I don't think Iowa can go five wide all the time, but what Urban Meyer is doing at OSU would work at Iowa. It's a spread, but a spread that uses multiple halfbacks and tightends also relying on a mobile quarterback to take advantage of single back sets.

I know we can't run power football like Alabama can, but we can have a dominant run game like the schools surrounding us do.

Nothing is impossible but I really do not see Bob Stoops as viable. How are we not back in the same position within a short period of time even if he gets us moving again?

Programs can slip within a couple of seasons. He will command a high salary which will equate to a high buyout and you will have to have a succession plan in mind from day one. This all assumes he will have the energy to work twice as hard as he has been at Oklahoma.

Again I know the romanticism with him but a smart AD has to know when a ship has sailed.

I would suggest taking a look at a relatively young up and comer from FCS or DII ranks ..... IF he has proven he can win big at those levels and runs some semblance of a power running game regardless of scheme used. My first look would be Kliemann at NDSU. There can be others that fit this profile as well. Cheap startup and buy out if it does not work. Rinse and repeat until you hit gold.

The issue for anyone is always can he recruit well enough? If you run a power running game you need 5 offensive lineman beasts and a good RB & TE. 6-7 guys to make an effective offense ala Wisky. Not relying on attracting great WR's which we do not typically. For a special year you come up with a good mobile run/throw QB. We should be able to do this model better than other models that require many more talented skill players. You have to have a plan of what to look for as an AD.

Can I hit 'Like' a hundred times regarding Kliemann comments? He was born and raised In Iowa and attended UNI. Don't know about recruiting at the major college level, though.

Anyone who can take the KF philosophy and bring it to the 21st century......therefore the transition will not take as long. Maybe a really good NFL WR or QB coach.

What?!!!

KF philosophy and 21st century is just ridiculous. I am not even sure what that means.

Those two things should never been in the same paragraph, let alone sentence.

I don't want any resemblance of anything from the KF era. And I could care less how many players the next coach develops for the NFL. Just compete for conference titles every year and maybe win a few. Because then we know we have a talented and competitive TEAM versus a few talented players able to compete at the next level.

My wish list would include a creative offensive football mind and a quick thinker. Someone who is capable of making in-game adjustments. At least at halftime for crying out loud.

Instead we have had a coach who is resigned to "evaluating things when the season is over". And I have always questioned how much of that actually takes place.

KF was never more than an OL coach. He was never qualified to make QB decisions or stick his nose in the offense as much as he did. He was never a QB or OC.

He created his own problems. I will never feel sorry for him.

Can I hit 'Like' a hundred times regarding Kliemann comments? He was born and raised In Iowa and attended UNI. Don't know about recruiting at the major college level, though.

I do agree with many that I like the possibility of BB. I am not sold that we can get him though.

Having said this I am very intrigued by a guy like Kliemann from NDSU. Posters will point out tons of risk with him and everyone wants a sure bet. Is there ever a sure bet? He did inherit a 3 time defending champion but he also played a big part in those 3 titles.

I really like how they play football up there and think it could translate very well to Iowa and the B1G. Offensively they run a power run game, with a big offensive line like Wisky but will throw it some also. They also use some innovation and multiple sets to give multiple looks. It's pretty cool.

Kliemann comes from the defensive side so he has that knowledge as well.

The big issue is can he recruit? That is what Barta would have to vet out in the interview process and mandate that he add a proven recruiter or two to his staff.

He's young, will be hungry, be excited to be at Iowa and will come with a reasonable price tag. If it does not work you move on with much less pain.

There will be others like Kliemann but again I think the best approach if not BB is to locate someone like this who has won big at FCS, DII or possibly the MAC. I am not sure there is anyone currently in the MAC that fits the bill. Dave Doeren is already down at NC State.

If you go the OC/DC route how about Chris Ash DC from OSU? Lots of ties to big programs in the Midwest and Iowa.

Last edited:
I do agree with many that I like the possibility of BB. I am not sold that we can get him though.

Having said this I am very intrigued by a guy like Kliemann from NDSU. Posters will point out tons of risk with him and everyone wants a sure bet. Is there ever a sure bet? He did inherit a 3 time defending champion but he also played a big part in those 3 titles.

I really like how they play football up there and think it could translate very well to Iowa and the B1G. Offensively they run a power run game, with a big offensive line like Wisky but will throw it some also. They also use some innovation and multiple sets to give multiple looks. It's pretty cool.

Kliemann comes from the defensive side so he has that knowledge as well.

The big issue is can he recruit? That is what Barta would have to vet out in the interview process and mandate that he add a proven recruiter or two to his staff.

He's young, will be hungry, be excited to be at Iowa and will come with a reasonable price tag. If it does not work you move on with much less pain.

There will be others like Kliemann but again I think the best approach if not BB is to locate someone like this who has won big at FCS, DII or possibly the MAC. I am not sure there is anyone currently in the MAC that fits the bill. Dave Doeren is already down at NC State.

If you go the OC/DC route how about Chris Ash DC from OSU? Lots of ties to big programs in the Midwest and Iowa.

No FCS coaches. No defensive gurus. They tend to not care about offense, and defense, outside of this year, has rarely been the problem. We don't want the Rex Ryan of college football here.

With the kind of money Iowa can afford to put up, go get someone who will make a splash on and off the field.

No FCS coaches. No defensive gurus. They tend to not care about offense, and defense, outside of this year, has rarely been the problem. We don't want the Rex Ryan of college football here.

With the kind of money Iowa can afford to put up, go get someone who will make a splash on and off the field.

We have a long and rich history at Iowa of finding up and comers from Gable, Fry, Olsen, to even Ferentz before he ran out of gas. You can toss money around like a drunken sailor trying to win the press conference but the press conference euphoria only lasts as long as you see the product on the field.

You have to know what works both in your league, at your school and with the types of recruits you will typically get when you are actually recruiting.

Keep in mind KF's entire professional coaching career was spent on the offensive side of the ball yet Iowa really hung their hat during his tenure on defense and still tries to. The same axiom with Alvarez at Wisconsin. Defensive guy who built the Wisconsin identity based on a power run game. The point is you can get a great offense from a defense oriented coach. They key is the OC and what the vision will be.

Bielema fits a lot and you make that call but after him I would look at guys that fit a specific profile of winning big at the lower levels like MAC, FCS, DII. Keep in mind there is tremendous coaching and program building being done at these places because you do not have zillion dollar TV contracts and massive fan bases. It's pure, requires innovation, hard work and ruthlessness.

Think Brian Kelly (DII-MAC), Jim Harbaugh (DIII), Urban Meyer (MAC), Jerry Kill (FCS-MAC), etc,

Skinny makes in interesting point in the fact that Kirk was neither a OC or QB coach. I am always hesitant to reach for the mid major coaches, perhaps cause Lickliter burned us before. Im intrigued by the SDSU coach but would much rather see a Mike Stoops who's recruiting well at the D1 level at Kentucky no less. Like Deace says if he can get 5 of the top 50 Ohio recruits to come to Kentucky over Ohio State then he sure as heck can sell Iowa to them

We have a long and rich history at Iowa of finding up and comers from Gable, Fry, Olsen, to even Ferentz before he ran out of gas. You can toss money around like a drunken sailor trying to win the press conference but the press conference euphoria only lasts as long as you see the product on the field.

You have to know what works both in your league, at your school and with the types of recruits you will typically get when you are actually recruiting.

Keep in mind KF's entire professional coaching career was spent on the offensive side of the ball yet Iowa really hung their hat during his tenure on defense and still tries to. The same axiom with Alvarez at Wisconsin. Defensive guy who built the Wisconsin identity based on a power run game. The point is you can get a great offense from a defense oriented coach. They key is the OC and what the vision will be.

Bielema fits a lot and you make that call but after him I would look at guys that fit a specific profile of winning big at the lower levels like MAC, FCS, DII. Keep in mind there is tremendous coaching and program building being done at these places because you do not have zillion dollar TV contracts and massive fan bases. It's pure, requires innovation, hard work and ruthlessness.

Think Brian Kelly (DII-MAC), Jim Harbaugh (DIII), Urban Meyer (MAC), Jerry Kill (FCS-MAC), etc,

Best indicator of future performance is past performance. Just because Iowa got lucky a few times doesn't make it a trend. Brian Kelly went to Cincinnati and turned them into an undefeated football team before he went to Notre Dame. Cincy was a nobody team before he got there. Harbaugh went to Stanford and made them a contender. Stanford was a non-factor prior to that. Urban Meyer was at Utah and made them a success before Florida. Jerry Kill hasn't won anything and is a moot point.

Is Iowa a stepping stone program now, like Cincy, Utah, and Stanford? Is that the level we want Iowa to be, a cradle of coaches like Miami of Ohio? I don't believe it is, and really hasn't been for the last 70 years. Coaches that come to Iowa have largely ended their careers here since 1954. That can't be said of Utah, Cincy, or these other schools that take larks on nobodies.

Just going to say it.

Iowa needs to stop hiring "blue collar" coaches, and coaches from Hayden's/Ferentz's tree. They need someone who will change the culture at Iowa.

They need to go get Scott Frost, Bryan Harsh, Dan Mullen, or Phillip Montgomery. The hire needs to make a splash, open new recruiting areas, bring in a totally different offensive philosophy, and a totally different philosophy of success. Everything is up for debate - the Tigerhawk, the unis, the flyover attitude, the pro football farm program, the walk-on tradition, the strength and conditioning program, the mopeds, all of it.

When you hire a coach, you go out and get the guy that is the opposite of the last guy you had. We had a tight-lipped, old, player development, pro-guy. Let's go get a fast-talking, fiery young guy.

EDIT: Oh, and if he hires one of the above guys, I don't care if it is Barta that makes the hire. He would have shown some backbone by firing Ferentz and getting the above guy. If that hire fails, then Barta can be fired. Right now it is just important that things change.

This sounds a lot like the stuff Nebraska fans have spewed for years, be careful what you wish for. Mike Riley is the exact opposite of Bo, not only in personality but in number of wins!

Skinny makes in interesting point in the fact that Kirk was neither a OC or QB coach. I am always hesitant to reach for the mid major coaches, perhaps cause Lickliter burned us before. Im intrigued by the SDSU coach but would much rather see a Mike Stoops who's recruiting well at the D1 level at Kentucky no less. Like Deace says if he can get 5 of the top 50 Ohio recruits to come to Kentucky over Ohio State then he sure as heck can sell Iowa to them

I would think that it's easier to get Ohio kids to Kentucky because it's so close.

Actually I think MARK Stoops is who you're referring to.. Mike Stoops coached at AZ and is currently DC at Oklahoma. :)

This sounds a lot like the stuff Nebraska fans have spewed for years, be careful what you wish for. Mike Riley is the exact opposite of Bo, not only in personality but in number of wins!

Nothing ventured nothing gained. I stated exactly who I thought would be good hires, and the reasons for them. If they don't work out, after three years, get someone else, and the new results will effect my opinions then. It isn't like the program will be any less on fire if they don't work out.

Not one successful person or enterprise maintains success by inaction when results are not satisfactory after a reasonable period of observation. Things only improve by taking steps to improve them. Sometimes those actions fail, but failure gives us evidence by which we can make better decisions in the next actions we take. Iowa football needs action, the last 5 years have given enough evidence to support making a wise decision for change.

All great coaches came from some lower school. Usually they progress to the D1 Coordinator level before getting a HC position. The trick is to identify the right one. I think the discussion really is if Barta can make the correct selection.

All great coaches came from some lower school. Usually they progress to the D1 Coordinator level before getting a HC position. The trick is to identify the right one. I think the discussion really is if Barta can make the correct selection.

He simply needs to realize that he has nothing to lose by hiring a risky, but possibly great coach. A coach that asks the questions Hayden asked, "Are you willing to do anything within the rules to be successful?", and has a plan to right the ship and a track record of recruiting. If he hires safe, he'll be fired because there will be no progress. If he hires risky and it doesn't work out, he'll be fired. If he does nothing, he's going to be fired. So swing for the fences, don't do a stupid contract, and your chances of success will be greater than if you do nothing or hire an old crusty ball coach with an offensive and small ball recruiting mindset.

You want a page long list or just point out the fact that 4 Mil a year and being the only game in town is enough to make most college FB coaches interested. Someone in another post pointed out all of the smaller poorer stated than Ia that are more successful as of late--so this poor Ole little Ia is complete B.S.. Friggin Kansas State is better more successful. Look at one of the previous posters info on the success rates of different level coaches--your telling me an FCS coach would'nt take the job for half the money and do better. Here is my dream Brett B. as head coach and Bobby D as D coordinator--tell me those guys wouldn't take losing personally and do better in recruiting/ player developement. Say whatyou want about B.B. but I have never heard him make excuses for poor performances or basically give the middle finger to the fans.

Ok , you win...

The Tiger Hawk and the Pink locker rooms are way worn out.They have become Cartoonish!

i have an idea for you. You should go become a fan of another school. I hear the numbers on a helmet, block letters, and solid colored hemets are cool. I will stick with the Tigerhawk because it is one of the best logos in college sports. PERIOD

Latest posts