getting a new coach

PCHawk

Whenever I think about getting a new coach, I'm usually just thinking about getting rid of the old one. But today I was actually thinking about what it would be like having a new coach and how different it would make gameday.

How exciting would it be to watch a game where we actually saw some new things? After 16 years of basically watching the same game play out every single week, it would be refreshing to see something different.

Everyone complains about predictability and rightfully so. But even though Kirk is probably more predictable than most, I think there would be a certain amount of predictability from any coach after this long.

Just thinking about things like quicker pace of play and new formations has me wanting a new coach more than ever. Other than not sucking, what are some things that you would most look forward to with a new coach?

It's all about recruiting speed . We might be the slowest of the power five schools on the grid iron . Most of these kids would be gray shirted by top coaches we have out there.

To a certain degree you need a risk taker, a gambler, someone to pull the rabbit out the hat sort of guy.....I agree the game has changed, fast is fast, and teams that have it are successful, not only on offense, but on defense as well.....At times this year I was in the movie Back to the Future, going back to the days of 3 yards and a cloud of dust.....nowadays, it's a race track out there and we have no stallions/thoroughbreds to run, only to run after.....we need a creative thinker to out think the opponent....a chameleon of sorts, one that can adapt in the environment around them.....Is there such a person? I guess that's yet to be determined

Having a coach that has some fire and acts like he wants to be there, instead of Mr. Monotone acting like Colonel Jessup in A Few Good Men, everytime he has to answer a few questions.

Tired of the coach acting like the fanbase is beneath him. His mouth says "I appreciate the fans" but his actions say "screw you fans, get the hell away from me."

Having a coach that has some fire and acts like he wants to be there, instead of Mr. Monotone acting like Colonel Jessup in A Few Good Men, everytime he has to answer a few questions.

Tired of the coach acting like the fanbase is beneath him. His mouth says "I appreciate the fans" but his actions say "screw you fans, get the hell away from me."

He has become a complete and total FAT CAT. He doesn't want to be judge by his results on the field, because That's football, and he can't do anything about those results on the field any longer.

We're not getting a new coach so I guess the entire discussion is pointless anyway, but in my opinion the number one guy Iowa should want is Bielema. I know a lot of people find him personally distasteful, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have a losing record to Iowa State and our team would be ready to play every Saturday. He had sustained success at Wisconsin, had 4 double digit win seasons in 7 years. Kirk has 4 in 16 years and only one in the last 10. Arkansas was a complete mess when he got there 2 years ago, he had them playing really good football this year; took Alabama to the wire and absolutely destroyed Texas in their bowl game. Arkansas would mop the floor with Iowa. Bielema is exactly what this football program needs right now.

We're not getting a new coach so I guess the entire discussion is pointless anyway, but in my opinion the number one guy Iowa should want is Bielema. I know a lot of people find him personally distasteful, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have a losing record to Iowa State and our team would be ready to play every Saturday. He had sustained success at Wisconsin, had 4 double digit win seasons in 7 years. Kirk has 4 in 16 years and only one in the last 10. Arkansas was a complete mess when he got there 2 years ago, he had them playing really good football this year; took Alabama to the wire and absolutely destroyed Texas in their bowl game. Arkansas would mop the floor with Iowa. Bielema is exactly what this football program needs right now.

Too bad we didn't get Arkansas in the bowl game. Then we and the Iowa Brass could have seen that beat down together at the hands of a former Hawk!

There have been 153 head coaching hires at the FBS level since 2002. The breakdown of where these head coaches were hired from and degree of success:

* FBS Coordinator/Position Coach - 75 hires of which 38 were successful and 37 were not (51% success rate)

* FBS Head Coach - 53 hires of which 24 were successful and 29 were not (45% success rate)

* NFL - 12 hires of which 3 were successful and 9 were not (25% success rate)

* FCS Head Coach/Div. II Head Coach - 13 hires of which 9 were successful and 4 were not (69% success rate)

.............Sport's Illustrated 12/8/2014, author is Myles Solomon, coaches agent and consultant in Atlanta

Successful or unsuccessful hires was determined by record, tenure, and how they left the job. Not sure you can make too much of this study considering the highest success rate was a small sample but I found it of interest. Pulling your next head coach hire from a higher level of play and position doesn't always make for the best decision.

There have been 153 head coaching hires at the FBS level since 2002. The breakdown of where these head coaches were hired from and degree of success:

* FBS Coordinator/Position Coach - 75 hires of which 38 were successful and 37 were not (51% success rate)

* FBS Head Coach - 53 hires of which 24 were successful and 29 were not (45% success rate)

* NFL - 12 hires of which 3 were successful and 9 were not (25% success rate)

* FCS Head Coach/Div. II Head Coach - 13 hires of which 9 were successful and 4 were not (69% success rate)

.............Sport's Illustrated 12/8/2014, author is Myles Solomon, coaches agent and consultant in Atlanta

Successful or unsuccessful hires was determined by record, tenure, and how they left the job. Not sure you can make too much of this study considering the highest success rate was a small sample but I found it of interest. Pulling your next head coach hire from a higher level of play and position doesn't always make for the best decision.

...and that is why you need a competent AD...It would be refreshing, even if the new hire were only equivalent in results. It would be showing that SOMETHING is trying to be done...

...right now with our facilities, athl dept $, fan base, the Iowa job is still considered a revered position, albeit, not what it once was...with each passing year of mediocrity, that perception will continue to diminish.

...and that is why you need a competent AD...It would be refreshing, even if the new hire were only equivalent in results. It would be showing that SOMETHING is trying to be done...

...right now with our facilities, athl dept $, fan base, the Iowa job is still considered a revered position, albeit, not what it once was...with each passing year of mediocrity, that perception will continue to diminish.
Who would come to Iowa and coach? Thats my question? I admit I don't watch football as much as I used to . I love watching Florida Gators.. when I was living in Jax.

Who would come to Iowa and coach? Thats my question? I admit I don't watch football as much as I used to . I love watching Florida Gators.. when I was living in Jax.

Bob Stoops is likely no more than a year away from being canned in Norman. Unless another high-profile job comes open after next season, which doesn't seem likely, I would think Iowa might actually be an attractive landing spot for him to finish his career. It might even re-energize him, having the chance to bring his alma mater back to the heights it reached during his playing career and in the years that followed under Fry.

Bob Stoops is likely no more than a year away from being canned in Norman. Unless another high-profile job comes open after next season, which doesn't seem likely, I would think Iowa might actually be an attractive landing spot for him to finish his career. It might even re-energize him, having the chance to bring his alma mater back to the heights it reached during his playing career and in the years that followed under Fry.

Nothing is impossible but I really do not see Bob Stoops as viable. How are we not back in the same position within a short period of time even if he gets us moving again?

Programs can slip within a couple of seasons. He will command a high salary which will equate to a high buyout and you will have to have a succession plan in mind from day one. This all assumes he will have the energy to work twice as hard as he has been at Oklahoma.

Again I know the romanticism with him but a smart AD has to know when a ship has sailed.

I would suggest taking a look at a relatively young up and comer from FCS or DII ranks ..... IF he has proven he can win big at those levels and runs some semblance of a power running game regardless of scheme used. My first look would be Kliemann at NDSU. There can be others that fit this profile as well. Cheap startup and buy out if it does not work. Rinse and repeat until you hit gold.

The issue for anyone is always can he recruit well enough? If you run a power running game you need 5 offensive lineman beasts and a good RB & TE. 6-7 guys to make an effective offense ala Wisky. Not relying on attracting great WR's which we do not typically. For a special year you come up with a good mobile run/throw QB. We should be able to do this model better than other models that require many more talented skill players. You have to have a plan of what to look for as an AD.

Last edited:
Nothing is impossible but I really do not see Bob Stoops as viable. How are we not back in the same position within a short period of time even if he gets us moving again?

Programs can slip within a couple of seasons. He will command a high salary which will equate to a high buyout and you will have to have a succession plan in mind from day one. This all assumes he will have the energy to work twice as hard as he has been at Oklahoma.

Again I know the romanticism with him but a smart AD has to know when a ship has sailed.

I would suggest taking a look a relatively young up and comer from FCS or DII ranks ..... IF he has proven he can win big at those levels and runs some semblance of a power running game regardless of scheme used. My first look would be Kliemann at NDSU. There can be others that fir this profile as well. Cheap startup and buy out if it does not work. Rinse and repeat to you hit gold.

The issue for anyone is always can he recruit well enough? If you run a power running game you need 5 offensive lineman beasts and a good RB & TE. 6-7 guys to make an effective offense ala Wisky. Not relying on attracting great WR's which we do not typically. For a special year you come up with a good mobile run/throw QB. We should be able to do this model better than other models that require many more talented skill players. You have to have a plan of what to look for as an AD.

You cannot seriously be saying that hiring someone who has had success at the DII level would be a better hire than Bob Stoops.

You cannot seriously be saying that hiring someone who has had success at the DII level would be a better hire than Bob Stoops.

Yeah... that's what he's saying and I agree with him.

You guys whine endlessly about the money Ferentz earns and how it's turned him into a fat cat who really doesn't care much becasue he's got the jing. Have you checked Stoops' salary lately? Have you seen the stories about his new $12 Million home?

If we're going to make a change (and we aren't) let's go for a younger guy who's hungry and has something to prove... like that guy at Tennessee... Stoops isn't the answer.

Stuck in the mud with a heavy load of contract. Passer bys just wagging their heads as they look at the mess.

Latest posts