getting a new coach

This sounds a lot like the stuff Nebraska fans have spewed for years, be careful what you wish for. Mike Riley is the exact opposite of Bo, not only in personality but in number of wins!

Nebraska tried changing their culture. It hasn't worked out so well. Callahan says hello.

Whenever I think about getting a new coach, I'm usually just thinking about getting rid of the old one. But today I was actually thinking about what it would be like having a new coach and how different it would make gameday.

How exciting would it be to watch a game where we actually saw some new things? After 16 years of basically watching the same game play out every single week, it would be refreshing to see something different.

Everyone complains about predictability and rightfully so. But even though Kirk is probably more predictable than most, I think there would be a certain amount of predictability from any coach after this long.

Just thinking about things like quicker pace of play and new formations has me wanting a new coach more than ever. Other than not sucking, what are some things that you would most look forward to with a new coach?

To be honest, I'm not sure I would care too much who we hired or the style of play they employ. Change, itself, would be enough for most.

I really think KF has to be contemplating retirement at this point. What stops him? Leaving assistants and their families in a bind, leaving recruits in uncertainty, and maybe what shape he is leaving the program in for his successor. But almost all coaches who retire sooner rather than later have no control over any of that.

If he brings in a coordinator who becomes "coach-in-waiting", folks would probably accept that for one season. If, however, that coach-in-waiting is Brian Ferentz, the wolves will march the Pentacrest post-haste.

To be honest, I'm not sure I would care too much who we hired or the style of play they employ. Change, itself, would be enough for most.

I really think KF has to be contemplating retirement at this point. What stops him? Leaving assistants and their families in a bind, leaving recruits in uncertainty, and maybe what shape he is leaving the program in for his successor. But almost all coaches who retire sooner rather than later have no control over any of that.

If he brings in a coordinator who becomes "coach-in-waiting", folks would probably accept that for one season. If, however, that coach-in-waiting is Brian Ferentz, the wolves will march the Pentacrest post-haste.

His son has to weigh heavily on his decision. I assume he could probably make some calls and Brian would have no problem landing on his feet. Tough deal for Kirk though for sure.

His son has to weigh heavily on his decision. I assume he could probably make some calls and Brian would have no problem landing on his feet. Tough deal for Kirk though for sure.

I personally think if KF leaves before the end of 2015 season, Brian is a non-factor AT Iowa. But I have no doubt he will get something lined up pretty quickly.

If things turn around, i.e., playing in B1G CG in 2015, Kirk will be here til 2018 minimum, and Brian will be less reliant on any "connection".

Either way, I think most hope that KF can leave on "good" terms, or at least "good enough". There are those, of course, who don't care and would just as soon see him humiliated.

I personally think if KF leaves before the end of 2015 season, Brian is a non-factor AT Iowa. But I have no doubt he will get something lined up pretty quickly.

If things turn around, i.e., playing in B1G CG in 2015, Kirk will be here til 2018 minimum, and Brian will be less reliant on any "connection".

Either way, I think most hope that KF can leave on "good" terms, or at least "good enough". There are those, of course, who don't care and would just as soon see him humiliated.

Hes humiliating himself.

I lost all sympathy when he had the opportunity to reinvent things but instead he arrogantly acted in a manner that did not have the programs best interest in mind and hired Greg Davis, as yes man place filler.

Huge mistake that has ended up costing him.

You might keep an eye out for what Brian does this offseason. If he jumps ship to another program or the NFL I think that will tell us all something about Kirks tenure.

Best indicator of future performance is past performance. Just because Iowa got lucky a few times doesn't make it a trend. Brian Kelly went to Cincinnati and turned them into an undefeated football team before he went to Notre Dame. Cincy was a nobody team before he got there. Harbaugh went to Stanford and made them a contender. Stanford was a non-factor prior to that. Urban Meyer was at Utah and made them a success before Florida. Jerry Kill hasn't won anything and is a moot point.

Is Iowa a stepping stone program now, like Cincy, Utah, and Stanford? Is that the level we want Iowa to be, a cradle of coaches like Miami of Ohio? I don't believe it is, and really hasn't been for the last 70 years. Coaches that come to Iowa have largely ended their careers here since 1954. That can't be said of Utah, Cincy, or these other schools that take larks on nobodies.

I am not sure I understand your point on Iowa becoming a stepping stone program by hiring a young up and comer who won big at the MAC, FCS or DII level?

There is a pecking order among all schools. We have had 2 coaches in 30+ years so that does not scream stepping stone school. For a coach to move it depends on many factors including money, resources, aspirations, expectations, challenges, prestige of the school, age, family, etc. Hypothetically if we have a coach but OSU, FLA, USC, Bama, Texas, etc. come calling we could lose him. Would that immedaitely make us a stepping stone?

Not sure what your point on Kelly is by listing his stop and success at Cincinnati? You leave out his DII titles and his MAC titles at Central Michigan. Meyer won big at Bowling Green before winning big at Utah before winning big at FLA and now OSU. I can go through the same thing with Harbaugh and Kill if you want?

The greater point is you can find a future great coach by taking a look at those who are having big success at the MAC, FCS, DII level and often multiple stops along this path. The quick list of those coaches above demonstrate this success trajectory. You are talking a very small pool of candidates that fit this profile and a good AD has to vet out each to see if they are truly a good candidate and fit.

A candidate fitting this profile will command less money to start. If they work out we have a proven pocket book to move them up should we choose. If they do not work, we can move on with a smaller buy out.

I am not sure I understand your point on Iowa becoming a stepping stone program by hiring a young up and comer who won big at the MAC, FCS or DII level?

There is a pecking order among all schools. We have had 2 coaches in 30+ years so that does not scream stepping stone school. For a coach to move it depends on many factors including money, resources, aspirations, expectations, challenges, prestige of the school, age, family, etc. Hypothetically if we have a coach but OSU, FLA, USC, Bama, Texas, etc. come calling we could lose him. Would that immedaitely make us a stepping stone?

Not sure what your point on Kelly is by listing his stop and success at Cincinnati? You leave out his DII titles and his MAC titles at Central Michigan. Meyer won big at Bowling Green before winning big at Utah before winning big at FLA and now OSU. I can go through the same thing with Harbaugh and Kill if you want?

The greater point is you can find a future great coach by taking a look at those who are having big success at the MAC, FCS, DII level and often multiple stops along this path. The quick list of those coaches above demonstrate this success trajectory. You are talking a very small pool of candidates that fit this profile and a good AD has to vet out each to see if they are truly a good candidate and fit.

A candidate fitting this profile will command less money to start. If they work out we have a proven pocket book to move them up should we choose. If they do not work, we can move on with a smaller buy out.

Stepping stone programs, like Cincy, Bowling Green, Utah, Youngstown State, Boise State, etc., tend not to be successful in the long run. Note that the schools where the coaches you listed ended up at are a level above those type of schools -- FL, ND, OSU, Mich, the NFL. They took the coaches you described after they had success at an EQUIVALENT level of competition to their own level but at a lesser school. D1 -> Big Time School -> National Championship coach. They didn't go DIII -> Big time school -> National Championship coach. Iowa has enough money to get rid of KF, AND hire a coach that is successful at a lower school in D1. Why hire somebody who has no experience in D1 football when you don't have to? That's my point.

Latest posts