Game Film & Evaluation: '19 Hawkeye Commit Patrick McCaffery

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s my thing. If you’re bringing in a top 30 recruit, normally you expect him to be an instant impact on your team. I’m with you, I don’t see that with Pat even after another year in high school.

I can’t really put a finger on why they recruting “experts” are getting this one so wrong. I just believe that they are.

Well he's not a top 30 recruit so his expectations shouldn't be too high! :)

I think they believe he'll fill out and gain strength. He will. Just like Uthoff did. The only question is, how long will it take? I think he has a top 50 skill set. But a skinny 6'7 forward is gonna get beat up in conference play. I say with because that's exactly what I would do to him, if I was an opposing coach. Beat him up if he steps inside the arc. Live with his 3pt shot outside the arc. I doubt he'll ever beat a team with his 3 pt shooting.
I can certainly see the potential. But again JU was 6’9 and a good 3pt shooter in high school. Hard for me to see how he rated so high when he still requires all this development.

I can certainly see the potential. But again JU was 6’9 and a good 3pt shooter in high school. Hard for me to see how he rated so high when he still requires all this development.
Patrick is taller than 6'7, I mindlessly regurgitated what Rob printed. He's in the 6'8 to 6'9 range. You are spot on about his jump shot vs Uthoff's. I don't recall Uthoff's high school 3pt %s but he had a nice jump shot, so I assume they were pretty good.
As to why PM is rated so high, only time will tell if he's that caliber a player. I think he could be as long as he hits the weights and works at it.

He's listed at 6-8 in the program, which I misread. I fixed it in my story. His growth plates remain open and he could have more height.

Good to see you guys have already figured out the the future for PM, BTW.
You posted a story on an Iowa recruit. If we aren’t supposed to talk about what we project out of said recruit, then what are we supposed to discuss, being that this is a message board and all?

IC West has good looking uniforms for a high school team I guess.

You posted a story on an Iowa recruit. If we aren’t supposed to talk about what we project out of said recruit, then what are we supposed to discuss, being that this is a message board and all?

IC West has good looking uniforms for a high school team I guess.
Based on Rob and Jon (much more frequently) pissy pants responses you'd think they'd be happier running a blog than a forum. They don't really want any discussion about their opinions.

Where would he be rated if his last name was Johnson or Doe?

If you were to evaluate a 6’7 forward prospect prior to looking at his recruting rating and the report read like so:

Very skilled for a guy his height, average athletically, needs to get bigger and stronger, and needs to put a lot of work into developing his jump shot.

What would you think about said recruit?

I don't make personal decisions about recruits based on a scouting report. You'll never see a scouting report saying a guy is overall awesome unless they are a consensus 5 star.

Here is what I would look at:

1. A recruits offer list. With Patrick that not relevant because of his dad being the coach at Iowa.
2. Composite recruiting ranking. Services aren't perfect, but if 3 of them think the guy is a top 40 player in the country they are probably better than people who watch them play some random high school games. A lot of these guys look worse in high school games because they don't have the talent around them in Iowa so they face a ton of double teams and junk defenses they won't face in college.
3. What specific scouts say about a recruit. As has been posted before Eric Bossi really liked Patrick and said he played well at a really high level camp. I've liked Bossi for years to back when he worked for the KU scout site.

Since 1 is pointless to worry about and 2 and 3 are really good, I'm going to assume the kid is a great prospect.

Whenever I see film of HS recruits be it fb or bb, the first thing that comes to my mind is, what kind of competition are they facing? From the looks of the crowd in that gym, Linn-Mar isn't too good.

I always find it very hard to project what they will be like vs bigger faster stronger competition.

Based on Rob and Jon (much more frequently) pissy pants responses you'd think they'd be happier running a blog than a forum. They don't really want any discussion about their opinions.

Not true at all. I like sharing opinions and do it with people every day. Your accusation is an oversimplified generalization.

It would kind of like me saying everybody on here loves tearing down the coaches, players and recruits hiding behind their computer screens and anonymity on here. That's not the case. It's a vocal minority that keeps running the same old tired crap out there.

He's listed at 6-8 in the program, which I misread. I fixed it in my story. His growth plates remain open and he could have more height.

Good to see you guys have already figured out the the future for PM, BTW.

They've already figured it out for Connor and Joe W too. This season has put a wet blanket on anything related to Iowa basketball and there is no use discussing anything positive. It's actually crazy how quick it can go south when you have the type of season Iowa is having.

Do you think national ratings agencies give a crap his dad is Fran McCaffery?
I think they automatically assume they are well coached in the fundamentals and have developed the skills expected of a D-1 coach to teach. Absolutely. But I don't think that matters all that much when it comes to projecting their college potential. I don't have a problem with where they rate him because I see his skills. But there are plenty of kids rated in the top 50 every year, that never lead teams in production at P5 programs. A * rating is a projection. Nothing more. If player A doesn't work on his game and improve his areas of weakness, and player B does, player B will be more successful than player A. That's the bottom line and it always has been. Patrick is a work in progress with a lot of skills.

They've already figured it out for Connor and Joe W too. This season has put a wet blanket on anything related to Iowa basketball and there is no use discussing anything positive. It's actually crazy how quick it can go south when you have the type of season Iowa is having.
I don't see anyone saying that Joe Weiskamp isn't going to make an immediate impact at Iowa. He's the real deal and he's physically ready right now.

Well he is listed at 6'8 on rivals but only shooting 29 percent from downtown this season if Iowa quik stats is accurate.On paper and on film he looks like another Kreiner, Nunge or Garza type which is what we don't need unless he lands 4 five star recruits to go with him to get us a top 25 class but usually we are recruiting at the bottom half of the conference under Fran
He's ranked higher than Nunge or Garza. And I am very high on both of those guys so...

I don't see anyone saying that Joe Weiskamp isn't going to make an immediate impact at Iowa. He's the real deal and he's physically ready right now.

I fought with several posters on the Fran recruiting thread that said he was slow and wouldn't make an impact. Again, this season being what it is has opened the flood gates for this kind of crap. Another poster was questioning if Cook was a D1 player.

I don't make personal decisions about recruits based on a scouting report. You'll never see a scouting report saying a guy is overall awesome unless they are a consensus 5 star.

Here is what I would look at:

1. A recruits offer list. With Patrick that not relevant because of his dad being the coach at Iowa.
2. Composite recruiting ranking. Services aren't perfect, but if 3 of them think the guy is a top 40 player in the country they are probably better than people who watch them play some random high school games. A lot of these guys look worse in high school games because they don't have the talent around them in Iowa so they face a ton of double teams and junk defenses they won't face in college.
3. What specific scouts say about a recruit. As has been posted before Eric Bossi really liked Patrick and said he played well at a really high level camp. I've liked Bossi for years to back when he worked for the KU scout site.

Since 1 is pointless to worry about and 2 and 3 are really good, I'm going to assume the kid is a great prospect.
This.

I fought with several posters on the Fran recruiting thread that said he was slow and wouldn't make an impact. Again, this season being what it is has opened the flood gates for this kind of crap. Another poster was questioning if Cook was a D1 player.
I saw some posters say we had major problems on the defensive end and that JW wouldn't solve those problems. It's hard to argue that until we know where he'll play. If he plays the 2G, he'll struggle against quick BIG 2Gs in conference play. If he plays the SF spot, he'll be fine. IMO anyway. JW has a well rounded, all around game with a fairly well developed D-1 frame. He's 6'6.
I got nothing for the poster that said Cook wasn't a D-1 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts