Game Film & Evaluation: '19 Hawkeye Commit Patrick McCaffery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I see film of HS recruits be it fb or bb, the first thing that comes to my mind is, what kind of competition are they facing? From the looks of the crowd in that gym, Linn-Mar isn't too good.

I always find it very hard to project what they will be like vs bigger faster stronger competition.
Linn Mar has a lot of size on their team and a few good players. Probably a couple of DII or DIII players.

Where would he be rated if his last name was Johnson or Doe?

From you and a lot of members of this forum, probably right where PM is. Think I will stick with the ratings, since many of you keep telling us Fran can't recruit highly rated players, this should be a blessing for Johnson/Doe.

Based on Rob and Jon (much more frequently) pissy pants responses you'd think they'd be happier running a blog than a forum. They don't really want any discussion about their opinions.

you should probably sign off from this site if they are so unreliable. Interesting how many fire back continually at those who disagree with them, but when Rob or Jon fires on across you bow, you immediately come back with personal attacks. Middle School.

Well he is listed at 6'8 on rivals but only shooting 29 percent from downtown this season if Iowa quik stats is accurate.On paper and on film he looks like another Kreiner, Nunge or Garza type which is what we don't need unless he lands 4 five star recruits to go with him to get us a top 25 class but usually we are recruiting at the bottom half of the conference under Fran

I've only seen a few videos but seems like he has better handles than any of those guys right now. Seems like his upside is higher though we can never know for sure.

I agree that he's not going to be a program-changer and top 30 is too high but he's got more in his tool box than those guys or Baer. He's only maybe, what 16 too?

They've already figured it out for Connor and Joe W too. This season has put a wet blanket on anything related to Iowa basketball and there is no use discussing anything positive. It's actually crazy how quick it can go south when you have the type of season Iowa is having.
I’m high on Joe Weiskamp (although I don’t know if he fixes are current issues) and I’m also very high on Nunge.

I’m less high on Garza and Pat. See, not everything is negative.

you should probably sign off from this site if they are so unreliable. Interesting how many fire back continually at those who disagree with them, but when Rob or Jon fires on across you bow, you immediately come back with personal attacks. Middle School.
I didn’t interpret that way. It was a weird response by Rob in a way sort of making it seem as if it was a personal attacks on Pat. This was because the opinion wasn’t the same as everyone else.

He said we are already predicting the kids future. The thread itself is dedicated to an incoming Iowa recruit. Normally we talk about how we see those guys fitting in to our program, but in this case apparently it was frowned upon if it wasn’t the same opinion.

I've only seen a few videos but seems like he has better handles than any of those guys right now. Seems like his upside is higher though we can never know for sure.

I agree that he's not going to be a program-changer and top 30 is too high but he's got more in his tool box than those guys or Baer. He's only maybe, what 16 too?
He's 17. He does have very good handles for a kid his size.

Video highlights and scouting evaluation of Hawkeye hoops commit Patrick McCaffery:

LINK
Thanks for the update. I enjoy reading about our future Hawks and from all I've read he's done well against higher level competition than he is facing in HS so gotta think that's where ranking is based upon which is good. Don't think a guy can form an educated opinion based on a 2 minute clip form a Iowa HS game.

Due to the season being what it is, because his name is McCafferty he may be getting dumped on a bit and somewhat unfairly whereas if it was Jones most would give him the benefit of the doubt. If the Hawks were undefeated right now it'd probably go the other way. The kid is only half way through his JR season and there is no reason to think he isn't going to improve considerably before he plays his first college game. 2 or 3 years from now I think everyone will be glad he is wearing black and gold.

I didn’t interpret that way. It was a weird response by Rob in a way sort of making it seem as if it was a personal attacks on Pat. This was because the opinion wasn’t the same as everyone else.

He said we are already predicting the kids future. The thread itself is dedicated to an incoming Iowa recruit. Normally we talk about how we see those guys fitting in to our program, but in this case apparently it was frowned upon if it wasn’t the same opinion.
Agree.

I didn't say you guys were taking personal shots at PM and I didn't single any of you out. I simply said I'm glad you guys figured out his future. You and a couple of others reacted to my comment, one saying boo-hoo and other calling Jon and I pissy pants.

I think my opinion clearly implies that I don't agree with some of your opinions. If you read my evaluation, you would have known that. My opinion was based on me scouting his game after scouting his games since he was in junior high.

And I am more sensitive when criticism is levied at high school kids by anonymous message board posters, who, in this case, could have an axe to grind because they're not happy with the kid's father.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen PM play in person or are you going off film?

Looks to me like he's not done growing. If that's the case, I can see optimism. If he's not, he's a project at 6-7. At this time he reminds me a lot of Michael Finke who we will see tonight. The game looked slow to me in the video, but it's hard to tell as there were a lot of tall guys on his team. Really lacks an upper body, which could change. A lot like this years new freshman, maybe combined (good), but not as good at what they are particularly good at. Iowa HS basketball is hard to grade out.

Based on history, Iowa struggles against tall 3 point Illinois players. Finke going to light it up?

Perhaps the main aspect that Patrick has is his ease of play. He is loose and extremely comfortable on the floor. Natural scorer, similar to Joe. He will be, without a doubt, one of the most capable players that Fran has recruited. He would be a valuable asset for any team he would play on.....

I imagine if he hadn't already committed to the Hawks he would be rated even higher. That is a somewhat strange aspect to recruiting, But so it goes.....

The upside with having Patrick and Joe on the floor together is a potential nightmare for our future opponents. Cook and Garza will be forces inside, and Hopefully, everybody else on the team will have improved and also have developed a team identity and the necessary chemistry to compete for the top tier in the Big and elsewhere.....

The future is bright.....

Was pleased to read Rob talking about his defensive abilities. This is an obvious ingredient that the Hawks are lacking. Connor also knows how to play D very well. He and Baer are the only players on the team that have the ability to play good defense. Unfortunately, Connor should not be playing the remainder of the season.....

He appears to have Connor's skills at playmaking, which is mostly passing the ball quickly to an open teammate. Ball distribution is an essential ingredient to successful offensive play.....

Looking forward to the teams of the future.....

Just going to ride the storm out this season. Nothing else to do. Look for improvement teamwise and individually on offense and especially D.....

:cool:

Perhaps the main aspect that Patrick has is his ease of play. He is loose and extremely comfortable on the floor. Natural scorer, similar to Joe. He will be, without a doubt, one of the most capable players that Fran has recruited. He would be a valuable asset for any team he would play on.....

I imagine if he hadn't already committed to the Hawks he would be rated even higher. That is a somewhat strange aspect to recruiting, But so it goes.....

The upside with having Patrick and Joe on the floor together is a potential nightmare for our future opponents. Cook and Garza will be forces inside, and Hopefully, everybody else on the team will have improved and also have developed a team identity and the necessary chemistry to compete for the top tier in the Big and elsewhere.....

The future is bright.....

Was pleased to read Rob talking about his defensive abilities. This is an obvious ingredient that the Hawks are lacking. Connor also knows how to play D very well. He and Baer are the only players on the team that have the ability to play good defense. Unfortunately, Connor should not be playing the remainder of the season.....

He appears to have Connor's skills at playmaking, which is mostly passing the ball quickly to an open teammate. Ball distribution is an essential ingredient to successful offensive play.....

Looking forward to the teams of the future.....

Just going to ride the storm out this season. Nothing else to do. Look for improvement teamwise and individually on offense and especially D.....

Having not seen him play live (per Rob), it's really hard to tell the quickness speed of that game. It's easy to be "loose and comfortable" against marginal speed/quickness. Like the moves on dribbling but that likely isn't going to work in the Big.

This is true, but the Summer games he played in seemed to show that he will be OK against elite competition. At one tournament the players on the sidelines seemed to be somewhat amazed at his play.....

Small sample, but we shall see.....

He certainly shows skill at playing the game of basketball, even in Iowa.....

Having not seen him play live (per Rob), it's really hard to tell the quickness speed of that game. It's easy to be "loose and comfortable" against marginal speed/quickness. Like the moves on dribbling but that likely isn't going to work in the Big.

I will attempt to find the video from the Summer games Patrick played in. I believe it was in Vegas that I was referring to.....

Also, he does have another hs season to improve his talents. He has improved from the eighth grade, so it is not unreasonable to think that more improvement is coming.....

Just hopeful for the future because undoubtedly Fran is going to be around for a while.....

DJ Carton is a must, and we seem to have an In with him. Add a damn bruiser in the paint and we just might be in the mix.....

I didn't say you guys were taking personal shots at PM and I didn't single any of you out. I simply said I'm glad you guys figured out his future. You and a couple of others reacted to my comment, one saying boo-hoo and other calling Jon and I pissy pants.

I think my opinion clearly implies that I don't agree with some of your opinions. If you read my evaluation, you would have known that. My opinion was based on me scouting his game after scouting his games since he was in junior high.

And I am more sensitive when criticism is levied at high school kids by anonymous message board posters, who, in this case, could have an axe to grind because they're not happy with the kid's father.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen PM play in person or are you going off film?
I have never seen him play in person.

I don’t think I criticized the kid at all. I didn’t say one thing that you didn’t say in the article (needs to get stronger and develop shot).

My belief is that he is overrated. I’m not saying he’s a terrible player or doesn’t have potential. By all accounts he’s a high D1 prospect.

If anything I’m just feel bad for the kid because the pressure of being a top recruit and the coaches son is going to be immense. If he doesn’t give the fans instant results (which is something I don’t think he will be able to do), there is going to be a lot of heat. He’s a tough kid though so he should be able to handle it.

Anyway you slice it your original comment just came off as snarky. If you would have said hey have you ever seen him play, or why is everyone else saying something different than you, it would have made more sense. I understand my opinion on him is probably the minority, but at the end of the day it’s just an opinion of an anonomous message board poster.

Lol of course they do.
Do you really believe other schools wouldn't offer a Top 30 prospect simply because his dad is a Div1 head coach?

If they rightly assume he's going to play for his dad, yes, I believe they wouldn't waste the time to offer him.

Lol of course they do.
Do you really believe other schools wouldn't offer a Top 30 prospect simply because his dad is a Div1 head coach?
They may not have offered, but I would guess that a lot of coaches at least had preliminary discussions with him. When Pat let it be known that he wasn't going anywhere else, they probably said why bother with an offer. I would guess that there are a fair number that are still in contact with him occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts