Game Film & Evaluation: '19 Hawkeye Commit Patrick McCaffery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for sharing your opinion, appreciate it......

My personal opinion is that Patrick is going to be a solid player for the Hawks. He has very nice offensive skills, quick to the basket, no hesitation, able to score in traffic, and also has court awareness, passing the ball to teammates very well.....

His defense, at these early stages, reminds me of Nicholas Baer last season.....

I also am looking forward to the Hawks having 3 players on the floor who can create their own shots. Tyler Cook, Joe Weiskamp and Patrick McCaffrey. The Hawks should benefit from that aspect......

Luka Garza seems to have the ability to create his own shot in the paint. He is adjusting to the brutal play in the Big, and working on his footwork quite nicely. Moss has the ability to create his own shot, and also appears to be more accurate shooting the three when there is no hesitation.....

As far as Patrick's top thirty ranking is concerned, I trust the opinion of the professionals who are paid for their evaluation of high school players. Rivals.....

https://247sports.com/Player/Pat-McCaffery-45572992

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/221109/patrick-mccaffery

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/patrick-mccaffery-9787

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/patrick-mccaffery-9787

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...tball-recruiting-nbpa-top-100-camp/409907001/

Excerpt from the HawkCentral article.....

Eric Bossi, a national basketball analyst for Rivals, was on hand at the Top 100 Camp. He said McCaffery proved he belonged.

"Athletically and skill-wise and just overall ability, he looked more than at home and in his element," Bossi said. "Traditionally, the rising juniors at that camp struggle a little bit just because they’re younger and not as experienced at these things. But he did a good job. He ran the floor, he filled lanes, had a few really nice dunks, weaving through traffic. Certainly proved he’s a guy that if you leave him alone outside, he can make you pay for that.

"He looks like a legitimate top-25 player in the country at this point.”

That is good enough for me, in addition, to my personal observations.....

Looking forward to a solid game at Rutgers tonight.....

Merely personal observations, nothing more.....

:cool:

Certainly a fair observation. Those commentators tend to be positive. My daughter has about 100 favorite top ten songs for example.

I think that FM with his system and his sons could be a recipe for a fine team or a complete disaster. Kind of like KF. How can you predict?

Kind of reminds me of this kid: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/216556/tim-finke

I am sure PM will be much taller. However, he was coached in HS by his dad. He had some nice offers but nothing huge. He ended up at Grand Canyon State which would be a good fit. PM and TF remind me a lot of each other. TF has a much better shot and played higher caliber HS. PM is getting bonus points by name recognition.

I think we have to see how FMs plan works out. It is motion oriented and requires unselfish players. I'd feel more comfortable with it if there was no shot clock.

Certainly a fair observation. Those commentators tend to be positive. My daughter has about 100 favorite top ten songs for example.

I think that FM with his system and his sons could be a recipe for a fine team or a complete disaster. Kind of like KF. How can you predict?

Kind of reminds me of this kid: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/216556/tim-finke

I am sure PM will be much taller. However, he was coached in HS by his dad. He had some nice offers but nothing huge. He ended up at Grand Canyon State which would be a good fit. PM and TF remind me a lot of each other. TF has a much better shot and played higher caliber HS. PM is getting bonus points by name recognition.

I think we have to see how FMs plan works out. It is motion oriented and requires unselfish players. I'd feel more comfortable with it if there was no shot clock.

I have a feeling that Patrick's weight might be a consequence of the operation on the malignant tumor in 2014. He was only 14 at the time. That would be a difficult situation for anyone to overcome, especially a 14-year-old Lad. To be in the conversation of being in the top 50 high school juniors is remarkable.....

Thanks for your reply and input.....

:cool:

I come to this board to get the expert opinions of basketball gurus who are able, by watching a clip of a player dominating a game, to tell that he is over-rated and won't contribute much to improving the Hawkeye basketball team. :rolleyes:

If you watch the clip from the dukeofearl, you will see that Patrick sems to do quite well even when playing against "athletes", as well as playing well against Iowa high school teams. I have no idea if he deserves his rating, but I don't believe any of you have the inside info to make that distinction either.

I come to this board to get the expert opinions of basketball gurus who are able, by watching a clip of a player dominating a game, to tell that he is over-rated and won't contribute much to improving the Hawkeye basketball team. :rolleyes:

If you watch the clip from the dukeofearl, you will see that Patrick sems to do quite well even when playing against "athletes", as well as playing well against Iowa high school teams. I have no idea if he deserves his rating, but I don't believe any of you have the inside info to make that distinction either.

You missed the point. PM isn't going to bring much different to the table for the team needs. Actually there are things indicative. Watch Bates Diopp HS tapes and then watch PM or other Iowa recruits. Woody was the same way. He played about the way his tapes showed. It's not that hard if you watch higher level high school basketball.

Go back and watch Pems videos and compare to today.

Well, that wasn't too impressive. Did have an impressive pass, but wouldn't fly in the big. The opponent was really good by Kansas standards, but that's hard to compare. Also hard to compare when teams have to travel a long distance (Quincy). Oft, one never mentally arrives. The opponents top player isn't ranked that I could see.

PM seemed a bit awkward and slow. The game wasn't particularly fast such as what you'd see out of Chicago teams.
PMs shot makes him more like 6-1 when shooting outside. He got pushed around a bit.

I don't see it yet. Still looks like he can grow. Watched a 6-9 kid play for a power house team this weekend. He didn't start. He would easily start over PM. Patrick does make shots. His form on shooting is honestly like watching Iowa girls 6 on 6. Get mad if you want, but that's what I see. He does see the court well, but he seemed slow on reacting to rebounding. He does not seem to like contact.

Well, that wasn't too impressive. Did have an impressive pass, but wouldn't fly in the big. The opponent was really good by Kansas standards, but that's hard to compare. Also hard to compare when teams have to travel a long distance (Quincy). Oft, one never mentally arrives. The opponents top player isn't ranked that I could see.

PM seemed a bit awkward and slow. The game wasn't particularly fast such as what you'd see out of Chicago teams.
PMs shot makes him more like 6-1 when shooting outside. He got pushed around a bit.

I don't see it yet. Still looks like he can grow. Watched a 6-9 kid play for a power house team this weekend. He didn't start. He would easily start over PM. Patrick does make shots. His form on shooting is honestly like watching Iowa girls 6 on 6. Get mad if you want, but that's what I see. He does see the court well, but he seemed slow on reacting to rebounding. He does not seem to like contact.

It doesn't matter if he is good or not. Fran has to win with his kids or he is done as a power 5 coach and he will ruin his kids natural college experience. I'm guessing Fran is aware that he hitched his whole wagon to his children. Hope he isn't blinded by fatherly pride.

It doesn't matter if he is good or not. Fran has to win with his kids or he is done as a power 5 coach and he will ruin his kids natural college experience. I'm guessing Fran is aware that he hitched his whole wagon to his children. Hope he isn't blinded by fatherly pride.

It's a hard thing NOT to do.

It's a hard thing NOT to do.

Sure it is. I want the best for Fran. I like him alot as a person. Sadly I now believe that Fran has established a pattern. Good offense, poor defense. When he gets a class of talented experienced seniors they will figure out how to be above average at both and have a pretty good season. His previous gigs were just about long enough for him to cash in on a good senior class and parlay that to promotion. I believe that JBo's senior class could be 1 of our finest since Horner, Bruner and Huleska. I imagine Fran will get a top 4 B1G finish out of them. Maybe a nice tourney run to the sweet 16 (all relying on Cook staying). The big question is then what? Are we in full rebuild again? This is what scares me the most. I believe Fran can grow a big class to be good by time they are seniors, but he has never shown he can get them there sooner.

Sure it is. I want the best for Fran. I like him alot as a person. Sadly I now believe that Fran has established a pattern. Good offense, poor defense. When he gets a class of talented experienced seniors they will figure out how to be above average at both and have a pretty good season. His previous gigs were just about long enough for him to cash in on a good senior class and parlay that to promotion. I believe that JBo's senior class could be 1 of our finest since Horner, Bruner and Huleska. I imagine Fran will get a top 4 B1G finish out of them. Maybe a nice tourney run to the sweet 16 (all relying on Cook staying). The big question is then what? Are we in full rebuild again? This is what scares me the most. I believe Fran can grow a big class to be good by time they are seniors, but he has never shown he can get them there sooner.
I like Fran as a person, as well. I've only interacted with him 3 or 4 times but each time he was pleasant and enjoyed talking about basketball. I thought he was really engaging to younger basketball players as well. I really wanted him to succeed here but I'm not willing to let my personal feelings interfere with an honest opinion of his job performance.
We didn't know it but we were in full rebuild mode last season. Looking at this roster, I don't see any way in hell that we make the Sweet 16. The athleticism just isn't there. We'll get lit up by any team with an athletic back court that plays hard on both ends of the court. Which pretty much includes 50 of the 68 teams in the NCAA tourney field. We got rolled by 20 points when we actually had some athletes at the guard spots.

It is interesting how most of his points come in the post, yet he only averages 6 rebounds a game. 38 players in 4A Iowa average more rebounds a game.

Your constant posts complaining about everyone else’s negative opinions would suggest otherwise.

You’re failing to see that you’re the exact same as the Debbie downers, only you fart rainbows and unicorns instead of doom and gloom. It’s equally ridiculous.

Although your case is a little more ridiculous because you seem to have taken on some vigilante job fighting crime in the form of people who don’t like Fran or Kirk.

I like Fran, btw.

Your constant posts complaining about everyone else’s negative opinions would suggest otherwise.

You’re failing to see that you’re the exact same as the Debbie downers, only you fart rainbows and unicorns instead of doom and gloom. It’s equally ridiculous.

Although your case is a little more ridiculous because you seem to have taken on some vigilante job fighting crime in the form of people who don’t like Fran or Kirk.

I like Fran, btw.

So who would you rather share a 100-story elevator ride with, InGoodCo farting rainbows and unicorns, or someone like revkev or Kennyfromminnie blowing noxious fog floor after floor?

Lololol what?!?! This team is getting curb-stomped by every team in likely the worst power 5 conference this year and you think they could be in the sweet 16 in 2 years?!? I'm not sure they make the sweet 16 in the women's NCAA. Seriously...wth have you seen that makes you believe we'll even make the tourney in 2 years, let alone a sweet 16 birth?? Please don't say Weiskamp and PM.

Lololol what?!?! This team is getting curb-stomped by every team in likely the worst power 5 conference this year and you think they could be in the sweet 16 in 2 years?!? I'm not sure they make the sweet 16 in the women's NCAA. Seriously...wth have you seen that makes you believe we'll even make the tourney in 2 years, let alone a sweet 16 birth?? Please don't say Weiskamp and PM.

Just remember Fran gets an extra year if we make a tournament in the next 6 years.

Lol it's a combination of past results and belief in some key players. I don't subscribe to the we have no talent narrative. Sorry. I think that by at least Senior year JBo, Cook and Moss or Dailey will have figured it out. I think that we will be about as good as the Gessel, Woodbury senior class. Possible sweet 16 team. I definitely did not mean to appear as predicting a sweet 16 because that is so match up dependant. Not every sweet 16 caliber team actually makes the sweet 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts