Game Film & Evaluation: '19 Hawkeye Commit Patrick McCaffery

Status
Not open for further replies.
They may not have offered, but I would guess that a lot of coaches at least had preliminary discussions with him. When Pat let it be known that he wasn't going anywhere else, they probably said why bother with an offer. I would guess that there are a fair number that are still in contact with him occasionally.
Pat made it perfectly clear on Twitter that he was open to the recruiting process and wasn't set on committing to Iowa just because his dad was the coach.

Pat made it perfectly clear on Twitter that he was open to the recruiting process and wasn't set on committing to Iowa just because his dad was the coach.

and yet he pulled a shocking 180 and committed to Iowa that no one saw coming.

tenor.gif

I think they believe he'll fill out and gain strength. He will. Just like Uthoff did. The only question is, how long will it take? I think he has a top 50 skill set. But a skinny 6'7 forward is gonna get beat up in conference play. I say with because that's exactly what I would do to him, if I was an opposing coach. Beat him up if he steps inside the arc. Live with his 3pt shot outside the arc. I doubt he'll ever beat a team with his 3 pt shooting.

Not impressed with Rob's assessment or the video. Strikes me as yet another slow, gangly 3 or 4, plenty of which we always seem to have. I'd rather the staff scour major urban areas and the JC circuits for a fast, athletic point guard or two.

I have never seen him play in person.

I don’t think I criticized the kid at all. I didn’t say one thing that you didn’t say in the article (needs to get stronger and develop shot).

My belief is that he is overrated. I’m not saying he’s a terrible player or doesn’t have potential. By all accounts he’s a high D1 prospect.

If anything I’m just feel bad for the kid because the pressure of being a top recruit and the coaches son is going to be immense. If he doesn’t give the fans instant results (which is something I don’t think he will be able to do), there is going to be a lot of heat. He’s a tough kid though so he should be able to handle it.

Anyway you slice it your original comment just came off as snarky. If you would have said hey have you ever seen him play, or why is everyone else saying something different than you, it would have made more sense. I understand my opinion on him is probably the minority, but at the end of the day it’s just an opinion of an anonomous message board poster.

Fair enough. I admit my response was snarky and probably could have been more mature. Sometimes I allow myself to get brought into the tone of these boards. That's on me.

And, again, I wasn't singling you out. I was speaking in general to the negative views of PM based on folks that probably haven't even seen him play. I think it's safe to say some of that is based on his name and the growing anti-McCaffery (and Ferentz) sentiment on these boards. It's tiring.

I sure would like to interact more around here and have intelligent. I just don't find it desirable with a certain segment of the board pounding the same drum every day. It's a competition. It's stale.

Fair enough. I admit my response was snarky and probably could have been more mature. Sometimes I allow myself to get brought into the tone of these boards. That's on me.

And, again, I wasn't singling you out. I was speaking in general to the negative views of PM based on folks that probably haven't even seen him play. I think it's safe to say some of that is based on his name and the growing anti-McCaffery (and Ferentz) sentiment on these boards. It's tiring.

I sure would like to interact more around here and have intelligent. I just don't find it desirable with a certain segment of the board pounding the same drum every day. It's a competition. It's stale.

There are a few of us that fight it all day long Rob and when Iowa doesn't win, or has what has transpired so far this season, it peaks and just brings out unreasonable takes on the program.

There are a few of us that fight it all day long Rob and when Iowa doesn't win, or has what has transpired so far this season, it peaks and just brings out unreasonable takes on the program.
Stop playing the victim. Jesus.

Debating is one thing, but acting like you're some sort of martyr defending the Hawkeyes and this board against the evil empire is a bit dramatic. At the end of the day this is an anonymous board which exists for amusement. If it didn't amuse people they wouldn't come here. By default you're going to have half people who can't stand the coaches when they lose, and half who would fall on a grenade for Kirk or Fran. Both sides are equally ridiculous and if you can't hack it then maybe a pay board is for you.

The posters here (you and I included) are not normal Hawkeye fans. It's a very, very small percentage of the Iowa population who not only like the Hawks but can rattle off the entire basketball roster top to bottom or the complete 2-deeps at the drop of a hat. Because they're so emotionally invested in it, you get people on the boards who get fired up and have strong opinions. Where you and a bunch of other posters on both sides fail is by taking it seriously and getting sucked in by trolls. Either ignore it like Rob or have fun. But don't act like you're some sort of upstanding voice of reason around here who gets beat up for trying to be a good citizen.

Stop playing the victim. Jesus.

Debating is one thing, but acting like you're some sort of martyr defending the Hawkeyes and this board against the evil empire is a bit dramatic. At the end of the day this is an anonymous board which exists for amusement. If it didn't amuse people they wouldn't come here. By default you're going to have half people who can't stand the coaches when they lose, and half who would fall on a grenade for Kirk or Fran. Both sides are equally ridiculous and if you can't hack it then maybe a pay board is for you.

The posters here (you and I included) are not normal Hawkeye fans. It's a very, very small percentage of the Iowa population who not only like the Hawks but can rattle off the entire basketball roster top to bottom or the complete 2-deeps at the drop of a hat. Because they're so emotionally invested in it, you get people on the boards who get fired up and have strong opinions. Where you and a bunch of other posters on both sides fail is by taking it seriously and getting sucked in by trolls. Either ignore it like Rob or have fun. But don't act like you're some sort of upstanding voice of reason around here who gets beat up for trying to be a good citizen.

I am not playing a victim, nor do I take any of this too seriously. How do you think you know any of that about me? You don't. Should I tell you who are, what you think or how to be a fan? This is one of the dumbest things you've typed to me. I am 100% in Rob's camp and I told him as such. There aint a damn thing wrong with that.

I am not playing a victim, nor do I take any of this too seriously.
Your constant posts complaining about everyone else’s negative opinions would suggest otherwise.

You’re failing to see that you’re the exact same as the Debbie downers, only you fart rainbows and unicorns instead of doom and gloom. It’s equally ridiculous.

Although your case is a little more ridiculous because you seem to have taken on some vigilante job fighting crime in the form of people who don’t like Fran or Kirk.

I like Fran, btw.

Your constant posts complaining about everyone else’s negative opinions would suggest otherwise.

You’re failing to see that you’re the exact same as the Debbie downers, only you fart rainbows and unicorns instead of doom and gloom. It’s equally ridiculous.

Although your case is a little more ridiculous because you seem to have taken on some vigilante job fighting crime in the form of people who don’t like Fran or Kirk.

I like Fran, btw.
Come on Good! Change your avatar:

788502_1.jpg

I like Fran, btw.

I do complain when I think something is unfair or unwarranted. I give my opinion just like everyone else. I take issue with someone who says Cook isn't a D1 player. I take issue with someone who says Fran should be fired right now. I take issue with someone who says Iowa played cream puffs this season in football (like you did earlier in the year before it was clear they didn't) - Doesn't mean I'm right. Doesn't mean that everyone else should be pulling my direction. It's just the line of the fence that I am on. I agreed with Rob, that's all I did. And you put on me on blast and said all of the assumptions about who and what I do on this site. Seems personal.

Where have I been farting rainbows and unicorns? Please, tell me. I would like to see it. I would also like to see where you point out where I am not fair about things with my view? If I am being unfair, I'll definitely cop to it. Typically, when I am wrong about something, and someone points it out... and I am wrong, I admit it. .... but somehow you cracked the code & put together that I am "playing a victim", take things too seriously & fart rainbows.

Last edited:
Having not seen him play live (per Rob), it's really hard to tell the quickness speed of that game. It's easy to be "loose and comfortable" against marginal speed/quickness. Like the moves on dribbling but that likely isn't going to work in the Big.

Found this video of Patrick:

2019 Small Forward Patrick McCaffery Highlights from NBPA Top 100 Camp

He seems to be playing well against top competition. Looks quick to the ball and basket. With improvement this season and next, he looks capable of playing for the Hawks. Hopefully, Patrick will add some weight. Going to need a few pounds to bang in the Big.....

In this video from a high school in IC, I was impressed by his passing ability. Granted it is against smaller Iowa hs players, but he seems alert and quick with the pass to teammates for a score.....

The Iowa Hawkeye commit, Patrick McCaffrey scored 23 points in a win for Iowa City West over 6 time defending Minnesota state champs DeLaSalle

This game was supposedly played one month ago.....

I like what I see. Do believe he will be an asset for the Hawks.....

:cool:

Found this video of Patrick:

2019 Small Forward Patrick McCaffery Highlights from NBPA Top 100 Camp

I like what I see. Do believe he will be an asset for the Hawks.....

I know several will jump all over from several aspects, but here goes. My youngest son played on a pretty high level team and got to play against some very good competition. I saw a number of these guys develop through junior high. I do have high school coaching experience and I've done volunteer work with a high level assistant coach. I'm not suggesting I'm an expert. One of my son's team's player was recruited by Iowa. I don't know why he didn't go to Iowa. I think it was because FM signed Pemsyl as they were a lot alike except that this kid was more athletic on the high side, a bit taller and not as strong. The kid's father played for an SEC school when that school was pretty good and his mom played D1 volleyball. The kid I talked about is Mo Valley. A number of players their team played are Big players and some
have been top scorers the past few years.

The video's are nice. What is glaring is what the video's leave out. Not much on d or rebounding position. His ball handling skills aren't what I would think are to 100 for a tall guy.

The problem is that these videos are meant to showcase. One really needs to see a whole game at a wide angle to really get a feel.

I see a lot of potential as he doesn't look developed physically.
He see's the court very well and passes well. He has a finesse nose for the hoop. He is not a 4 or a 5 at this point and likely never will be.

It looks like his mom taught he and Conner to shoot. That's not a masculine shot.
I don't like players to bring the ball down on ft's, however, he has a nice release point on ft's.

He's about Michael Finke quick and fast. Finke was stronger.

At a school size of 1000 kids and up, players of his caliber are not that uncommon for upper conference teams if they are playing like schools including inner city schools. What is noticeable is his body size potential. It is apparent he has some tall teammates which could be masking his real skill set. In the videos he isn't getting hacked and swiped at by "little guys". I would guess he's a little raw on that type of pressure. He dribbling I don't think will work in the Big without major improvement.

He, like his bro I think are getting bonus recruiting points by name recognition. I would feel more comfortable if he was a soph or a young junior. I don't know his age.

What I see in PM is a lot of potential and another player likely won't block out by nature, bang hard and not get flustered, and see the court very well.

Typical Fran guy.

I know several will jump all over from several aspects, but here goes. My youngest son played on a pretty high level team and got to play against some very good competition. I saw a number of these guys develop through junior high. I do have high school coaching experience and I've done volunteer work with a high level assistant coach. I'm not suggesting I'm an expert. One of my son's team's player was recruited by Iowa. I don't know why he didn't go to Iowa. I think it was because FM signed Pemsyl as they were a lot alike except that this kid was more athletic on the high side, a bit taller and not as strong. The kid's father played for an SEC school when that school was pretty good and his mom played D1 volleyball. The kid I talked about is Mo Valley. A number of players their team played are Big players and some
have been top scorers the past few years.

The video's are nice. What is glaring is what the video's leave out. Not much on d or rebounding position. His ball handling skills aren't what I would think are to 100 for a tall guy.

The problem is that these videos are meant to showcase. One really needs to see a whole game at a wide angle to really get a feel.

I see a lot of potential as he doesn't look developed physically.
He see's the court very well and passes well. He has a finesse nose for the hoop. He is not a 4 or a 5 at this point and likely never will be.

It looks like his mom taught he and Conner to shoot. That's not a masculine shot.
I don't like players to bring the ball down on ft's, however, he has a nice release point on ft's.

He's about Michael Finke quick and fast. Finke was stronger.

At a school size of 1000 kids and up, players of his caliber are not that uncommon for upper conference teams if they are playing like schools including inner city schools. What is noticeable is his body size potential. It is apparent he has some tall teammates which could be masking his real skill set. In the videos he isn't getting hacked and swiped at by "little guys". I would guess he's a little raw on that type of pressure. He dribbling I don't think will work in the Big without major improvement.

He, like his bro I think are getting bonus recruiting points by name recognition. I would feel more comfortable if he was a soph or a young junior. I don't know his age.

What I see in PM is a lot of potential and another player likely won't block out by nature, bang hard and not get flustered, and see the court very well.

Typical Fran guy.

His shot is probably that way now because he doesn't have the strength in his arms right now to use proper form in getting the ball up to the rim, probably because he went through a huge growth spurt. That's something that should improve with natural growth and weight training.

How do you know he would get flustered, if that's what you meant to say? I'm pretty sure there's no film on that happening.

His shot is probably that way now because he doesn't have the strength in his arms right now to use proper form in getting the ball up to the rim, probably because he went through a huge growth spurt. That's something that should improve with natural growth and weight training.

How do you know he would get flustered, if that's what you meant to say? I'm pretty sure there's no film on that happening.

I was kind of making the point that he would fit into what Iowa already has a lot of. This team isn't consistently mentally tough. I doubt he would change a lot and become a banger, but who knows. Few kids are going to change their shot much at this stage. Wonder if he lifts?

I do complain when I think something is unfair or unwarranted. I give my opinion just like everyone else. I take issue with someone who says Cook isn't a D1 player. I take issue with someone who says Fran should be fired right now. I take issue with someone who says Iowa played cream puffs this season in football (like you did earlier in the year before it was clear they didn't) - Doesn't mean I'm right. Doesn't mean that everyone else should be pulling my direction. It's just the line of the fence that I am on. I agreed with Rob, that's all I did. And you put on me on blast and said all of the assumptions about who and what I do on this site. Seems personal.

Where have I been farting rainbows and unicorns? Please, tell me. I would like to see it. I would also like to see where you point out where I am not fair about things with my view? If I am being unfair, I'll definitely cop to it. Typically, when I am wrong about something, and someone points it out... and I am wrong, I admit it. .... but somehow you cracked the code & put together that I am "playing a victim", take things too seriously & fart rainbows.

So for clarification purposes you don't fart rainbows and unicorns? Consider me disappointed. That'd be a cool "gift" to have.

I was kind of making the point that he would fit into what Iowa already has a lot of. This team isn't consistently mentally tough. I doubt he would change a lot and become a banger, but who knows. Few kids are going to change their shot much at this stage. Wonder if he lifts?

Thank you for sharing your opinion, appreciate it......

My personal opinion is that Patrick is going to be a solid player for the Hawks. He has very nice offensive skills, quick to the basket, no hesitation, able to score in traffic, and also has court awareness, passing the ball to teammates very well.....

His defense, at these early stages, reminds me of Nicholas Baer last season.....

I also am looking forward to the Hawks having 3 players on the floor who can create their own shots. Tyler Cook, Joe Weiskamp and Patrick McCaffrey. The Hawks should benefit from that aspect......

Luka Garza seems to have the ability to create his own shot in the paint. He is adjusting to the brutal play in the Big, and working on his footwork quite nicely. Moss has the ability to create his own shot, and also appears to be more accurate shooting the three when there is no hesitation.....

As far as Patrick's top thirty ranking is concerned, I trust the opinion of the professionals who are paid for their evaluation of high school players. Rivals.....

https://247sports.com/Player/Pat-McCaffery-45572992

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/221109/patrick-mccaffery

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/patrick-mccaffery-9787

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/patrick-mccaffery-9787

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...tball-recruiting-nbpa-top-100-camp/409907001/

Excerpt from the HawkCentral article.....

Eric Bossi, a national basketball analyst for Rivals, was on hand at the Top 100 Camp. He said McCaffery proved he belonged.

"Athletically and skill-wise and just overall ability, he looked more than at home and in his element," Bossi said. "Traditionally, the rising juniors at that camp struggle a little bit just because they’re younger and not as experienced at these things. But he did a good job. He ran the floor, he filled lanes, had a few really nice dunks, weaving through traffic. Certainly proved he’s a guy that if you leave him alone outside, he can make you pay for that.

"He looks like a legitimate top-25 player in the country at this point.”

That is good enough for me, in addition, to my personal observations.....

Looking forward to a solid game at Rutgers tonight.....

Merely personal observations, nothing more.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts