Game Film & Evaluation: '19 Hawkeye Commit Patrick McCaffery

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s only 6’7? I thought he was 6’9.

I’m more skeptical on him than many others. I certainly hope he is a top 30 type kid who comes in and makes an instant impact. I just don’t see it.

If I had to guess I would say he never plays here. He'll follow Fran to his next school or end up at Notre Dame or some place similar.

The thing is people talk about his skills (dribbling, passing, ball handling) for a guy his size. But in reality if he’s only 6’7, same height as Maishe Dailey, is he really that elite of a prospect?

Look at Joe Weiskamp. What is he 6’6? He can handle the ball, pass, and shoot 3s at a very high clip. Not to mention he’s much more athletic than Pat.

Is Pat really that high end of a talent? If he was 6’9/6’10 and could shoot that might be one thing. I think you guys are in for a major dissapointment if you think this kid is a program changer.

I completely share all of the concerns about Patrick. However, all the major recruiting outlets have him as a top 50 prospect (247 composite has him 39th overall, Rivals has him 31st overall, ESPN has him 30th overall). Now, he is only a Junior and sometimes the recruiting services don't get a good handle on all the top prospects until they are all seniors. But obviously the experts agree that he's an elite level player right now.

The ONLY reason people have these concerns about Patrick is that his dad is Fran and they've seen him play a few times. If he lived in California, nobody had seen him play a high school play, and we only know that Eric Bossi thinks he's awesome and his 247 ranking was #39 people would be having their minds blown about him.

The ONLY reason people have these concerns about Patrick is that his dad is Fran and they've seen him play a few times. If he lived in California, nobody had seen him play a high school play, and we only know that Eric Bossi thinks he's awesome and his 247 ranking was #39 people would be having their minds blown about him.
If you were to evaluate a 6’7 forward prospect prior to looking at his recruting rating and the report read like so:

Very skilled for a guy his height, average athletically, needs to get bigger and stronger, and needs to put a lot of work into developing his jump shot.

What would you think about said recruit?

The thing is people talk about his skills (dribbling, passing, ball handling) for a guy his size. But in reality if he’s only 6’7, same height as Maishe Dailey, is he really that elite of a prospect?

Look at Joe Weiskamp. What is he 6’6? He can handle the ball, pass, and shoot 3s at a very high clip. Not to mention he’s much more athletic than Pat.

Is Pat really that high end of a talent? If he was 6’9/6’10 and could shoot that might be one thing. I think you guys are in for a major dissapointment if you think this kid is a program changer.
I'll add that he's only averaging 28.6% from three and he doesn't get many rebounds or blocks. I'm not quite sure what his game is at this point.

Last edited:
Seems like another Baer only maybe a little more skilled. Not top 50 but still fairly solid.
Well he is listed at 6'8 on rivals but only shooting 29 percent from downtown this season if Iowa quik stats is accurate.On paper and on film he looks like another Kreiner, Nunge or Garza type which is what we don't need unless he lands 4 five star recruits to go with him to get us a top 25 class but usually we are recruiting at the bottom half of the conference under Fran

Last edited:
Well he is listed at 6'8 on rivals but only shooting 29 percent from downtown this season if Iowa quik stats is accurate.On paper and on film he looks like another Kreiner, Nunge or Garza type which is what we don't need unless he lands 4 five star recruits to go with him to get us a top 25 class but usually we are recruiting at the bottom half of the conference under Fran
That quickstats site is a lil tricky sometimes. Just a little bit ago, it said 26.7% from three. Somebody just recently updated it to 28.6%

I don't put much stock in recruiting rankings. Outside of the top 20, it's guess work.Educated guess work but guess work none the less. A lot of their work comes down to "offers list" but not every program offers for the same reasons. I've seen Patrick play many times in high school and the AAU circuit. He has a lot of skills. I don't see his skills transferring to the BIG level unless he gets a lot stronger. His jump shot is U.G.L.Y. But he's long, it's a high release and it seems to work pretty well for him. I don't know how well it will work for him when he has another 6'6-6'7 athlete guarding him each night. He's not a good enough shooter to live beyond the 3pt arc.
The good news is, he has time to gain strength before he gets here. Weiskamp is by far the more BIG ready physically. He'll contribute right away. It might take Patrick a couple of years to contribute.

I don't put much stock in recruiting rankings. Outside of the top 20, it's guess work.Educated guess work but guess work none the less. A lot of their work comes down to "offers list" but not every program offers for the same reasons. I've seen Patrick play many times in high school and the AAU circuit. He has a lot of skills. I don't see his skills transferring to the BIG level unless he gets a lot stronger. His jump shot is U.G.L.Y. But he's long, it's a high release and it seems to work pretty well for him. I don't know how well it will work for him when he has another 6'6-6'7 athlete guarding him each night. He's not a good enough shooter to live beyond the 3pt arc.
The good news is, he has time to gain strength before he gets here. Weiskamp is by far the more BIG ready physically. He'll contribute right away. It might take Patrick a couple of years to contribute.
That’s my thing. If you’re bringing in a top 30 recruit, normally you expect him to be an instant impact on your team. I’m with you, I don’t see that with Pat even after another year in high school.

I can’t really put a finger on why they recruting “experts” are getting this one so wrong. I just believe that they are.

You know what they say about a chickenwing shooter. Very streaky, he could make 10 in a row or miss 10 in a row. 29% percent from downtown yikes. Disturbing his dad who is a DIV 1 coach let him get away with that bad habit when he was younger

That’s my thing. If you’re bringing in a top 30 recruit, normally you expect him to be an instant impact on your team. I’m with you, I don’t see that with Pat even after another year in high school.

I can’t really put a finger on why they recruting “experts” are getting this one so wrong. I just believe that they are.
I think they believe he'll fill out and gain strength. He will. Just like Uthoff did. The only question is, how long will it take? I think he has a top 50 skill set. But a skinny 6'7 forward is gonna get beat up in conference play. I say with because that's exactly what I would do to him, if I was an opposing coach. Beat him up if he steps inside the arc. Live with his 3pt shot outside the arc. I doubt he'll ever beat a team with his 3 pt shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts