Fran's Raise

I can't understand why FRAN would do this. Use the "extra" scholly to strengthen your roster.
What I don't understand is why the University of Iowa is giving a scholarship to his son when his son is only a part time basketball player. You would think that he should devote his time to either basketball or baseball. The guy is gifted, but he isn't that gifted. Using a full time scholarship on a part time player is just robbing some other guy of the opportunity.
How quickly do you guys forgot. Last year’s debacle was in part caused by Fran trying to get a bunch of equal level players minutes, like way too long of a rotation. If you recall Cmac was a walk on as a freshman he didn’t count as a scholarship guy.

Williams transferred at the beginning of the year, Ellingson and Wagner transferred after the year. If you follow recruiting that’s pretty late in the cycle to be bringing guys in. Many of us would have liked to go the grad transfer route and look at a guard, but that’s a pretty competitive market. No point to just take flyers on guys just to do it.

My issue isn’t giving Connor a scholarship it’s not having any other PG options, which I think was part of the plan. Fran loaded up on Bigs to create room for Connor at the guard spot. The money scholarship issue isn’t that big of deal, I’m pretty sure that because he’s on scholarship for baseball he has to count against the basketball limit anyway.

I'm not anywhere near the "Fire Fran" crowd but $400K just for reaching the NCAA tournament is a tad excessive. I could see if he won the Big Ten or something but just for REACHING the tournament at this stage of his contract?

That just kind of proves where the Iowa program has been, doesn't it.

I think all college coaches should be paid on just incentives, reaching goals, etc.. It would really weed out the bad ones fast. They should get so much for certain finishes in conference, making the NCAA and where they finish in the NCAA.

Do it that way, and Fran would have his teams playing defense.

Pertaining to both UofI basketball and football.

You pay for mediocrity, you get mediocrity.

Now I'm not going to feel too bad in my university office not getting anything done today as I fill my NCAA bracket out. For the $$ that gets thrown around this place, I'm not gunna feel bad at all for having non-productive days.

Just terrible. No hate on Fran, get paid dude. But whomever signed off on this contract from the school’s side should be termed.
A lot like kirks contract for beating six tomato cans and waving at the hospital and passing “go” while collecting another mill for his brood

I’m pretty sure that because he’s on scholarship for baseball he has to count against the basketball limit anyway.
Correct. Other wise Alabama and Clemson would have baseball, rowing, and golf teams made up of 325 lb kids who could lift up the ass end of a Chevy Malibu

Tom Davis was forced out because he was "only making the tournament" most every year and not advancing....now its a $400k raise for "only making the tournament".
No. Davis was let go for making us watch skinner loookingbill tubbs angle reed webb and other assorted hs phenoms

Has anyone else noticed that these forums can get pretty negative sometimes? I'm beginning to think most posters are off their antidepressants and just vent.
Nah bro, the Fran lovers just cannot admit that Iowa needs change. Everyone wants to hand out participation trophies so everybody feels good about themselves. I do take an antidepressant and have never miss a day. I'm doing just fine.

Last edited:
Those 4 with Dean Oliver running the point and Tom Davis coaching would beat this team.
I don’t think so. Many of you have revisionist history when it comes to the sawed off coach. He inherited the best talent in Iowa history and then immediately started recruiting a bunch of fieldhouse specials. He had just enough talent around them to hide them but most of his teams resembled kirks in that they didn’t go out after dark. They built up artificial records by playing the Washington generals, never competed in conference and flamed in the tourney after beating another tomato can in the first round. Sound familiar? This is iowa. Our coaches are afraid of the boogeyman

I don’t think so. Many of you have revisionist history when it comes to the sawed off coach. He inherited the best talent in Iowa history and then immediately started recruiting a bunch of fieldhouse specials. He had just enough talent around them to hide them but most of his teams resembled kirks in that they didn’t go out after dark. They built up artificial records by playing the Washington generals, never competed in conference and flamed in the tourney after beating another tomato can in the first round. Sound familiar? This is iowa. Our coaches are afraid of the boogeyman
No, actually that doesn’t sound familiar. When can we schedule tomato cans again?

Come on dude, seriously? Connor earned that scholarship and it playing full time with the basketball team even though it's probably in his best interest to play baseball full time. He has earned that scholarship.
Your saying that McCaffery is more valuable than another division one player that will devote all his time to the basketball team. It seems that the McCaffery scholarship is going to make Iowa less not more. I'm not trying to knock the guy. I think he is pretty talented, but he isn't that talented.

I may well be in the minority, but I have never in my long lifetime spent any energy on how much $$ someone else makes. Just do not care.

I only care in this instance because Iowa doesn’t like to pay coaches to not coach so the more he makes the less likely he will get fired. I don’t like having a coach because he’s too expensive to fire.

Your saying that McCaffery is more valuable than another division one player that will devote all his time to the basketball team. It seems that the McCaffery scholarship is going to make Iowa less not more. I'm not trying to knock the guy. I think he is pretty talented, but he isn't that talented.

All I'm saying is that McCaffery deserves his scholarship and bitching about it because you don't like his dad as our coach is stupid.

Latest posts