Fran's Raise

I'm not anywhere near the "Fire Fran" crowd but $400K just for reaching the NCAA tournament is a tad excessive. I could see if he won the Big Ten or something but just for REACHING the tournament at this stage of his contract?

IIRC Tom Davis made 380,000 his final YEAR at Iowa. Yeah, that was his salary for the year.
Moral to the story? Barta=congress (hint, the story doesn't end well)

So this isn’t even a bonus? This is an annual raise that he will get every year remaining, regardless of un-tremendous results?

What I don't understand is why the University of Iowa is giving a scholarship to his son when his son is only a part time basketball player. You would think that he should devote his time to either basketball or baseball. The guy is gifted, but he isn't that gifted. Using a full time scholarship on a part time player is just robbing some other guy of the opportunity.

What I don't understand is why the University of Iowa is giving a scholarship to his son when his son is only a part time basketball player. You would think that he should devote his time to either basketball or baseball. The guy is gifted, but he isn't that gifted. Using a full time scholarship on a part time player is just robbing some other guy of the opportunity.
It's not out of the question that Fran and Margaret endowed the scholarship.

IIRC Tom Davis made 380,000 his final YEAR at Iowa. Yeah, that was his salary for the year.
Moral to the story? Barta=congress (hint, the story doesn't end well)

To be fair that was 20 years ago but, yeah, that bonus is excessive even at today's standards. I could see giving Fran a bonus like that when he first took over the program but not in his 9th year of his contract. I'm all about not setting the expectations for Iowa sports too high but you gotta raise the bar a little. Big Ten title (regular season or tournament), Sweet 16, Elite 8, something more than just a NCAA appearance for $400K.

You cant be serious

Come on dude, seriously? Connor earned that scholarship and it playing full time with the basketball team even though it's probably in his best interest to play baseball full time. He has earned that scholarship.

REALLY, Rob?! After all we've been through the past 10 games (on top of most of the last 9 years)?!o_O

Either you're a closet Fran hater and wanted to throw some gas or you're an evil sadist who's favorite torture is lemon juice in open wounds.:eek::(;)

7-5 in football and a 10 seed in basketball are now considered successful seasons at Iowa. Much like society in general, slightly above average is the new tremendous.

To be fair to Fran and Barta though, aren't most coaches' contracts similar these days?

I can't understand why FRAN would do this. Use the "extra" scholly to strengthen your roster.

REALLY, Rob?! After all we've been through the past 10 games (on top of most of the last 9 years)?!o_O

Either you're a closet Fran hater and wanted to throw some gas or you're an evil sadist who's favorite torture is lemon juice in open wounds.:eek::(;)

I was just sharing news. How it’s received here is out of my hands. ;)

Latest posts