Fran's postgame

------It's Fran's job to recognize how poor Gesell has been at the end of games and stop giving him the ball in those situations

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Think? Truest statement ever!!!

I don't think the problem is with the assistants. This is a coaching problem for better and worse.

Dumb question, but don't our assistants qualify as coaching?

All I know is two late season melt downs the past 3 years, and three straight losses in the BTT, as a heavy favorite, to double digit seeds.

I'm sick of it.

Oh, and tack on one more "close loss".

Dumb questions, but aren't our assistants coaches?

All I know is two late season melt downs the past 3 years, and three straight losses in the BTT, as a heavy favorite, to double digit seeds.

I'm sick of it.

Oh, and tack on one more "close loss".
Amen brother.

------It's Fran's job to recognize how poor Gesell has been at the end of games and stop giving him the ball in those situations

I do agree it's past time for this. He needs to keep the ball at half court until about 7 seconds. Then Uthoff needs to come get it and live with what happens.

At the end of the half no one was moving without the ball at all. Just complete choke artists in every aspect of the game.

Yeah why we don't have the ball in Uthoff's hands in the last 15 seconds is the dumbest thing ever. It's really really simple. Clear one side of the floor. Tell Mike to stand at half court or something, somewhere where he can't pee down is leg. Have Uthoff go one on one and tell him don't give it up unless there is someone wide open under the basket (not named Woodbury) that can finish. Instead dip **** dribbles it around loses it, gets lucky to get a jump ball called, and then makes a ridiculous inbound pass to lose the game. What a freaking joke.

I don't blame Fran for getting chippy, I would too if I was in his shoes.

I am sure he is very disappointed with his team. His seniors were poor today except Uhtoff but JU couldnt get the one basket we needed in the last few minutes. Woody misses two big FTs

Clemmons looked like a freshman again.

Pretty stupid tbh.

Now is not the time to become panicky/defensive/accusatory. Your players are standing right there next to you. What do you think they are thinking right there? Answer the question, credit Illinois, and move on the real tournament.

Agreed. It's gotta be brutal to have to answer those questions after another heartbreak, but ya gotta do it.

Love Fran and what he's done, but that's not the answer you give.

I do agree it's past time for this. He needs to keep the ball at half court until about 7 seconds. Then Uthoff needs to come get it and live with what happens.

At the end of the half no one was moving without the ball at all. Just complete choke artists in every aspect of the game.

The one harsh criticism of Fran that I can't defend against is the end of half/game strategy. He did the same thing with Marble and that I can understand, but it clearly doesn’t work with MG, who I like a lot, but a shot creator he is not.

I think Fran needs a hand written letter from Mr. Davis. Remember how players loved playing for him...

About the bubble comment - yes, I'm serious. A few years ago we lost two more games and went to the NIT. This team is a 7 - 12 seed and will be out in the first round.

The one harsh criticism of Fran that I can't defend against is the end of half/game strategy. He did the same thing with Marble and that I can understand, but it clearly doesn’t work with MG, who I like a lot, but a shot creator he is not.

^^^^^. Yes! Yes! And Yes!!

Fran just loves him some isolation. He lives and dies by it.

About the bubble comment - yes, I'm serious. A few years ago we lost two more games and went to the NIT. This team is a 7 - 12 seed and will be out in the first round.

Whatever dude saying they are a 7 - 12 seed is the most asinine thing to say and just shows everyone that you are just being a Troll. Go sleep the loss off you bring nothing to the discussion.

Dude, at worst we are an 8 or 9 seed. We very possibly could still get a 7 seed, although less likely.

We very well may lose the first round but we are in Zero danger of the bubble.

A few years ago our sos and RPI was wayyyy lower, that matters a lot. Not all 20+ wins seasons are created equal.

I don't blame Fran for getting chippy, I would too if I was in his shoes.

He's gotta be better than that. It wasn't a pointed question, the reporter didn't have any sort of accusatory tone. It was a perfectly reasonable question, and one that Fran would happily answer or allow his players to answer if the play had worked. If you'd answer it when the play works, you damn well better answer it in some form when the play blows up in your face. If it's "none of [our] business" when the play fails, then nothing that happens on the floor is ever any of our business, so why don't we all just pack up and let you play by yourselves?

It wouldn't have been hard to answer the question without throwing anyone under the bus, either.

"We wanted to get the ball to Jarrod, but they put a tough double on him, we were out of timeouts and Mike knew he had to get the ball in to someone. He did the only thing he could do in that spot, and Illinois just made a play."

It's simple, doesn't throw Gesell or Uhl under the bus, and also has the benefit of being true (maybe not the getting it to JU part, but there wasn't anyone open for Gesell to inbound to and he put up a prayer because not doing so would have been a certain 5-second call).

I would hope he's trolling. If not....yikes.

Not a troll. Been here a while, check my history. No, not all 20 win sessions are equal, but this year Iowa hasn't beaten anyone with a pulse for two months. Haven't been drinking, either, just very upset at the way Fran's teams play in the final ten games of every year.

He needs to be renamed from Fighting Fran to Fading Fran.

I don't think the plays are meant to be iso's for Mike. But I do agree the ball shouldn't be in Mikes hands at all.

Not a troll. Been here a while, check my history. No, not all 20 win sessions are equal, but this year Iowa hasn't beaten anyone with a pulse for two months. Haven't been drinking, either, just very upset at the way Fran's teams play in the final ten games of every year.

He needs to be renamed from Fighting Fran to Fading Fran.

We are all upset and have good reason. The last 5 weeks have sucked. Be upset, be critical. But if you don't understand why we are not on the bubble, I can't help you.

Luckily for the Hawks, total body of work matters, even when your last 9 games have been brutal.

Again, we very well may take an early exit, today verified that possibility strongly.

But if you are still seriously worried about Iowa being a 10, 11, 12 seed or on the bubble...well...stop being worried, cause they're probably a 7 or 8.

Word.

I don't think the plays are meant to be iso's for Mike. But I do agree the ball shouldn't be in Mikes hands at all.

I have no problem with him bringing the ball up and getting it to Uthoff, Jok, helll even Sap on a good day.

If they aren't iso's meant for him then I agree, no reason he should have it past mid court.

And I personally think MG has been a great Hawkeye, just glaringly not in this particular role.

If they are iso's for him...Fran's lost me in this instance.