Fran's postgame

I don't think the problem is with the assistants. This is a coaching problem for better and worse.

This is exactly the problem. Watch big time coaches, they have one assistant who calls plays, is in charge of what is going to happen strategy-wise. He does not have one or won't allow them too.

I hope Fran is frustrated... And I couldn't care less how he deals with media, I don't care about his recruiting results... I care about 1 thing... Results.

I feel his results are solid and show continuous improvement.

Ya'll can jump off the bandwagon but Im riding a little longer before I jump off.

You gotta wonder if he is just tired of covering pizz poor play by his seniors. That couldn't have been the inbound play Fran was wanting, but that is where Mike threw the ball.

He lets his players play, and honestly he puts way too much trust in guys who haven't earned that trust honestly. Clemmons killed this team today, Mike kills us at crunch time, McCabe was awful at the end of games, and so on and so on.

I don't like to single players out, for the most part but Clemmons grades out the worst of all of the starters. In most advanced stats. And for all of the talk about his defense, it doesn't grade out that well either. I like him. He plays hard. Gives good effort.

I am ready for and want to reserve judgement until I see Fran's next set of players play the next 2 years. If they continue to struggle in the end of half / late game situations and play poorly in February & March then it will point back to the coach.

I like these seniors personally but they have been involved in a lot of the issues as well as some successes. They are also the common dominator here. If they were sick of what happens do you not think one of them would say screw it, I want the ball and will win this game? I never see that. JU seems to run away from the ball in those situations. The only guy I trust is Jok because he has no conscious. He'll take the shot win or lose.

I am beginning to think Fran is in over his head at this level. Could it be he is just not up to the pressure of playing top level teams/talent over the course of a conference season? That his talent level and coaching are more fitting to the mid-majors than in a major conference?

I am beginning to think Fran is in over his head at this level. Could it be he is just not up to the pressure of playing top level teams/talent over the course of a conference season? That his talent level and coaching are more fitting to the mid-majors than in a major conference?

Tying for 3rd in the Big 10 two years in a row may not be good enough for fans to want to keep him around. But it definitely proves he can coach at this level.

I personally liked that Fran stepped in. It is none of their business. The only reason you ask that kind of question is the light the kid up either in a follow up or in your writing. Fran was sticking up for his guys. That's what I want. Who gives a crap if he was rude or someone's feelers got hurt because Fran stepped in. I loved it. That's an emotional situation immediately after the game and more times than not, that's what you get. I love that Fran has our kids backs.

I personally liked that Fran stepped in. It is none of their business. The only reason you ask that kind of question is the light the kid up either in a follow up or in your writing. Fran was sticking up for his guys. That's what I want. Who gives a crap if he was rude or someone's feelers got hurt because Fran stepped in. I loved it. That's an emotional situation immediately after the game and more times than not, that's what you get. I love that Fran has our kids backs.
We are all mad and have a forum to express our displeasure in the heat of the moment. That's a luxury for fans. Fran does not have that luxury, he has the media that is only going to fuel the fire. I get sticking up for players, but in general, after all these meltdowns, he is coming off as a cry baby, a sore loser, and someone who has no real answers. He doesn't come off as a tough guy who cares about is players to most of the people out there. My fear is that we may have seen the height of Iowa basketball under Fran and we are about to take a trip the other way. I really want to be wrong.

We are all mad and have a forum to express our displeasure in the heat of the moment. That's a luxury for fans. Fran does not have that luxury, he has the media that is only going to fuel the fire. I get sticking up for players, but in general, after all these meltdowns, he is coming off as a cry baby, a sore loser, and someone who has no real answers. He doesn't come off as a tough guy who cares about is players to most of the people out there. My fear is that we may have seen the height of Iowa basketball under Fran and we are about to take a trip the other way. I really want to be wrong.

Couldn't disagree more ... I honestly think and wouldn't hesitate to say that Fran's future teams will be better than any of his first 6 seasons. Next season, we may take a dip but when you graduate a core like that, it's expected. I still think we'll be a bubble team at worse next season, so I don't think the bottom completely falls out. We have better classes coming in, better caliber of players IMO than Fran was able to get when he first arrived in IC. I don't understand why everyone thinks Fran has peaked with his first few classes he brought to Iowa back when we were the joke of college basketball. But, it's hard to look at it with perspective in lieu of what has happened this season.

I've flipped on Fran. I'm tired of his antics, I'm tired of his teams' late season swoons and poor performance in tournaments. I'm done with this guy and I refuse to watch Iowa in the NCAA tournament, strictly because of Fran.

He can't handle adversity and his players eventually turn into a bunch of chokers.

This tag needs to trend on Twitter: #firefran

There's nothing worse in sports than a GDF choker. They reel you in and then kick you in the junk.

It's especially repugnant at this level of competition. Chokers shouldn't have made it this far. They should have been culled from the herd by now. But somehow, Iowa is like sh!t for choker flies.

Couldn't disagree more ... I honestly think and wouldn't hesitate to say that Fran's future teams will be better than any of his first 6 seasons. Next season, we may take a dip but when you graduate a core like that, it's expected. I still think we'll be a bubble team at worse next season, so I don't think the bottom completely falls out. We have better classes coming in, better caliber of players IMO than Fran was able to get when he first arrived in IC. I don't understand why everyone thinks Fran has peaked with his first few classes he brought to Iowa back when we were the joke of college basketball. But, it's hard to look at it with perspective in lieu of what has happened this season.

The perspective here is that Franny Mac had a team positioned to snag a #1 seed and play two home games in the NCAA tournament, and they pi$$3d it all away absent any catalyst for their demise. Nobody got hurt, nobody threw a grenade in the locker room. They out of nowhere started sucking and choking, just because.

I look forward to the brackets coming out so I can pick against these choking chumps.

I am ready for and want to reserve judgement until I see Fran's next set of players play the next 2 years. If they continue to struggle in the end of half / late game situations and play poorly in February & March then it will point back to the coach.

I like these seniors personally but they have been involved in a lot of the issues as well as some successes. They are also the common dominator here. If they were sick of what happens do you not think one of them would say screw it, I want the ball and will win this game? I never see that. JU seems to run away from the ball in those situations. The only guy I trust is Jok because he has no conscious. He'll take the shot win or lose.

The common Denominator here is the CLUELESS coach Iowa has

The perspective here is that Franny Mac had a team positioned to snag a #1 seed and play two home games in the NCAA tournament, and they pi$$3d it all away absent any catalyst for their demise. Nobody got hurt, nobody threw a grenade in the locker room. They out of nowhere started sucking and choking, just because.

I look forward to the brackets coming out so I can pick against these choking chumps.

The perspective here is that Fran had a team that was picked 9th in the conference by nearly everyone in position to snag a #1 seed and in the 2nd half of the season they came back to pack. They finished tied for 3rd in the B1G.

I am not arguing that Iowa blew a huge opportunity, but perspective is perspective. From a grand scheme of things, Iowa has played above expectations this season and there's no other way to look at it.

From a short term look, they flat out sucked down the stretch and that's disturbing and disappointing, but not nearly as disturbing as a Hawk fan looking forward to and enjoying filling out a bracket just to pick against his team cause they are choking chumps. Worst Hawk Fan Ever.

Tying for 3rd in the Big 10 two years in a row may not be good enough for fans to want to keep him around. But it definitely proves he can coach at this level.

Um we might have tied for 3rd, but in reality with the tie breakers were were 5th.. and have YET to beat anybody for the last month plus worth a crap.

The perspective here is that Fran had a team that was picked 9th in the conference by nearly everyone in position to snag a #1 seed and in the 2nd half of the season they came back to pack. They finished tied for 3rd in the B1G.

I am not arguing that Iowa blew a huge opportunity, but perspective is perspective. From a grand scheme of things, Iowa has played above expectations this season and there's no other way to look at it.

From a short term look, they flat out sucked down the stretch and that's disturbing and disappointing, but not nearly as disturbing as a Hawk fan looking forward to and enjoying filling out a bracket just to pick against his team cause they are choking chumps. Worst Hawk Fan Ever.

Granted, it's hard to be a true fanatic when one's entire existence revolves around rational critical thinking.

So you got me there.

I wouldn't say I'm the "worst Hawk fan ever" though, as I actually give the nut punchers a fair amount of financial support.

Granted, it's hard to be a true fanatic when one's entire existence revolves around rational critical thinking.

So you got me there.

I wouldn't say I'm the "worst Hawk fan ever" though, as I actually give the nut punchers a fair amount of financial support.

Ha... I understand. I am extremely disappointed in how this year has played out. They are nut punchers, I can't argue that point.

But I'll NEVER want Iowa to lose. Or worse, look FORWARD to it. I'll never pick against my team in spite. I will cheer the team on if they win 11 games or 25 (i have). Again, I think looking back...these will be the building blocks for Fran, not the heights.

Ha... I understand. I am extremely disappointed in how this year has played out. They are nut punchers, I can't argue that point.

But I'll NEVER want Iowa to lose. Or worse, look FORWARD to it. I'll never pick against my team in spite. I will cheer the team on if they win 11 games or 25 (i have). Again, I think looking back...these will be the building blocks for Fran, not the heights.

I don't WANT them to lose. I EXPECT them to lose. So I've got to pick against them, lest I refute my own logic and allow them to nut punch me whilst screwing my bracket. That's be getting PWN3D twice for no good reason.

I think it's hard to hang this choking on the coach. He's not the one on the floor doing the choking. I suppose we can transfer blame to him for recruiting chokers, but Franny Mac ain't the one missing FTs or clanging shots or throwing the ball away. I've seen stupid coaching before, and this ain't it. These guys are in a position to win and just give it away. I doubt any orders he gives them during crunch time are going to be competently executed.

Frankly, if I were him, I'd look upon my team with a fair amount of loathing right about now.

Yeah I don't mind Fran trying to develop Gesell as a last second scorer earlier on in his development or in games in January or earlier. But enough is enough, he's a senior now, and need to move on from that idea. You just have to get the ball to your best player. Uthoff has given up the ball at times, but Fran has to correct this kind of mistake and tell him to take contested shots regardless of defense. Think we'd be better having sapp dish it off a screen to Uthoff or just Jared iso it.

Latest posts