Fran's name getting thrown out

InGoodCo

For the Mizzou job - also hearing speculation his name is going to be pretty high on a lot of teams lists this off season. I hope IA can hold on to him. I think they are pretty happy here, but he's moved around a lot through out the years, you never are quite sure. Now I think the whole Conner will walk on - no he won't - no he'll take a scholly - no his dad can pay nonsense is kind of crazy. I say Iowa should do whatever Fran wants to do in that regards.

I think there are a lot of clueless Iowa fans when it comes to Fran and the program as far as how it's viewed outside the state. But that's just my opinion.

Dumb. Fran finally got his team built the way he wanted to with his players (albeit missing on a few key PG's). I'm not sure why he would leave right before realizing the fruits of all his hard work.

Also I'm not sure why Fran would drag his kids out of Iowa City West and haul them off to Columbia, Missouri. Especially Patrick going into his Junior year

From a purely basketball perspective why would you walk from this young potential to take another rebuild? I doubt Missouri pays much more

You could be right

Maybe that's what Fran enjoys doing? Rebuilding - maybe he doesn't like to stay anywhere too long? He hasn't in the past? I don't know - I cant pretend that I know what someone else that I've never met is thinking. I would say that our house has been over 1/2 empty all season after 3 straight NCAA appearances. What more can he do to get people to care about Iowa basketball? It's not like Fran has it made here and he should just be thankful to have a gig. He's a proven winner and re-builder and a hot commodity in the coaching ranks.

Also - please note that I don't think he will leave Iowa - I am just bringing up that his name showed up in a MO paper yesterday as a possible candidate. That doesn't mean anything and I think it's horrible timing with his kids so that keeps him here, but really, how do I know? I don't.

You could be right

Maybe that's what Fran enjoys doing? Rebuilding - maybe he doesn't like to stay anywhere too long? He hasn't in the past? I don't know - I cant pretend that I know what someone else that I've never met is thinking. I would say that our house has been over 1/2 empty all season after 3 straight NCAA appearances. What more can he do to get people to care about Iowa basketball? It's not like Fran has it made here and he should just be thankful to have a gig. He's a proven winner and re-builder and a hot commodity in the coaching ranks.

Fran moved UP through the ranks to get to Iowa. Sure, he could still go up from Iowa to a blue blood, but Mizzou is not moving up. If anything it might be a slight downgrade...the SEC sucks at bball outside of kentucky and Florida.

Also he didn't have kids in school when he was moving up the ranks. Connor would have been in elementary school when Fran left Sienna for iowa.

Also, Fran is 57 years old. Why go to another rebuild when you're making a ton of money at Iowa.

Also, this is dumb.

Maybe he wants the record for number of teams a coach took to the tourney. I see that stat all the time with hime.

If Indiana fires Tom Crean after Iowa beats them tomorrow, I bet he is scooped up by Mizzou within a week's time.

You could be right

Lehigh
UNC Greensboro
Siena
Iowa

Comparing those 3 mid-major stops to Iowa and the Big 10 is ridiculous. This thread is ridiculous. I'm not wasting anymore of my time with this nonsense.

Listening to Fran during interviews...he really seems to enjoy this group of players, loves coaching them and seeing them improve, and is pleasantly surprised by their success and work ethic, and smiles when talking about them.

He is a father first and who wouldn't want their kids to play with this group of players?

I would be stunned if he leaves at this point...now, if he leads Iowa to the final four or national title...he might consider other options...

Also, this is dumb.

I agree - I am just passing on info and bringing up some conversation- his name was on this list - and Barta commented on it. So dumb or not it's message board worthy. IMO there's no way he would take that job - but there are gonna be others and again Iowa's barn is 1/2 full after 3 straight NCAA appearances while on the cusp of it's 4th - coaches notice that kind of stuff. Weather it bothers him or not, I couldn't say.

touchy bunch around here. jeez, I was honestly just bringing up something that got brought up today in the Iowa press. Sorry guys.

I've heard NC State is interested.We won't know anything until it actually happens and/or it gets to be April 15 and nothing has happened.

What makes me a bit concerned is that Connor has not signed his LOI. Dad might have said "Let's see what the end of the season brings."

I'm hoping the way this team has played lately that Fran will stay and turn Iowa into one of those blue bloods ala Mark Few.

GO HAWKS!!!

EDIT: I know Few didn't bring Gonzaga to prominence, but IIRC he has turned down a few offers to move on to stay where he is and keep Gonzo playing at a high level.

I dont think its unrealistic that eventually Fran might take another job, but its not going to be for Missouri.

Fran is from out east, but his wife is from St Paul. The one job I always thought Fran might take over Iowa would be Notre Dame, but Mike Brey isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He's the exact same age as Fran and signed through 2022.

You realize I didn't just make this up right? I am not trolling - Iowa's AD commented on it. http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...eriment-friday-spring-football-game/98847690/

I don't see this as a troll at all. The Iowa job is a good gig, but not a great gig, nowhere near a blue blood. This is still a football school and likely will always be. and that being he case, I'd never dismiss another school's interest in Fran. He's built this program up from hell. Good programs will come calling.

For the Mizzou job - also hearing speculation his name is going to be pretty high on a lot of teams lists this off season. I hope IA can hold on to him. I think they are pretty happy here, but he's moved around a lot through out the years, you never are quite sure. Now I think the whole Conner will walk on - no he won't - no he'll take a scholly - no his dad can pay nonsense is kind of crazy. I say Iowa should do whatever Fran wants to do in that regards.

I think there are a lot of clueless Iowa fans when it comes to Fran and the program as far as how it's viewed outside the state. But that's just my opinion.

My thought at the time of the hire was, "How long will this guy want to be here?" Plus, when he came on board, he took one of his Siena recruits (Basabe) as a "poach". Hawk fans were excited, Siena fans sure weren't.

IF he should decide to leave Iowa, the questions become:
1) Aside from the obvious (Connor, Patrick), what recruits might be swayed to go with him? What existing players might decide to go?
2) Who do we get for next coach? (Personally, I would hope we stay in the mode of "running/active". "Hoosiers Part 2" didn't do much for me, and did even less for the program in general)

Latest posts