Fran's name getting thrown out

Just got inside info from my source inside the Iowa athletic department.

Barta's contacting schools and has a donor that will help pay some of Fran's salary at his new school to get rid of him. Hoiberg's going to get fired from Chicago and will be Iowa's next coach. Just a few t's to dot and eyes to cross.

Never going to happen (I know it's sarcasm). But if fran ever moves on, this would be the GREATEST THING EVER!!!! The look on Clown fans would be so so tastey...

The donors give a crap and that's what an AD in a P5 school pays attention to before anything else. Unfortunately once you give someone priveledge in exchange for money it's almost impossible to take it away.

Can you imagine if Barta approached a few million dollars worth of donors and said, "Sorry guys, were gonna have to move you up a ways to make room for the new student section." Zero chance of that conversation taking place. I agree with your point of view but it's never going to happen.

Why yes I can imagine it. Keep the front few rows by the team for the big big donors. Move the rest back 10-15 rows or so. Big deal. They'd get over it. Put the students up front all the way around. The positives would far outweigh the negatives in the long run.

Based on your thinking how does Michigan State possibly survive without giving their old ass donors close seats all around the court? They are doing just fine. It wouldn't be that big of a deal. They'd get over it and ultimately I think a lot of them would understand if you simply made it clear that your goal is to make Carver a better atmosphere.

Last edited:
Never going to happen (I know it's sarcasm). But if fran ever moves on, this would be the GREATEST THING EVER!!!! The look on Clown fans would be so so tastey...

Except that I don't want a clown anywhere near campus..(Gable was a glorious exception, a man that great was destined to be at IOWA) especially one that plays the thug-for-hire angle in recruiting

If by "our house" you mean Carver Hawkeye Arena I'd have to see some official attendance numbers to believe that. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying I find it hard to believe. That would be fewer than 7200 for every game. I'm just not buying that.

Hang on a minute...

OK... Just as I thought... pure nonsense. According to the chart at this site there hasn't been a single game at CHA this season that came anywhere close to being only half full.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Iowa_Hawkeyes_men's_basketball_team

You get that seats sold aren't seats filled right? Or do you think Nebraska has had over 90K at every football game for 54 years during their "sell out" streak? I've personally been to a couple of games where the place looked over half empty this season. So, yeah, the over inflated #'s of seats sold doesn't mean that many showed up. I am not trolling here, it was a legit deal that Fran's name was brought up in a MO paper and the fan support for games at Iowa has been an issue and if you don't see that when you go or flip on the game at night you're just telling lies to yourself.

I love Fran - I love Iowa - make no mistake of it. You guys are also touchy man. Sorry.

Except that I don't want a clown anywhere near campus..(Gable was a glorious exception, a man that great was destined to be at IOWA) especially one that plays the thug-for-hire angle in recruiting

I'm sorry but I disagree. As far as I know hoiberg is nothing but a class act. And of all the "thug" recruits that he brought in, one got in any kind of trouble. I'm no clone (hope them to lose every game) but Hoiberg would be successful here (or most places).

I'm an unapologetic Franamaniac so don't take this wrong, but to me an NIT appearance is a failure for a P5 school with the facilities and budget of an Iowa. It's like being 5-7 and making the Foster Farms Bowl. Yeah, you made a bowl game, but people still laugh at you.

A 1 seed in the NIT means theoretically you're the 65th~ish best team in the country which isn't acceptable. I know it's glass half empty but we need to be in the dance 8 out of every 10 years. With Alford and Douche-liter out of the picture there's no reason it can't happen.

Playing to be the best of the worst. That's the way I look at it.

I'm sorry but I disagree. As far as I know hoiberg is nothing but a class act. And of all the "thug" recruits that he brought in, one got in any kind of trouble. I'm no clone (hope them to lose every game) but Hoiberg would be successful here (or most places).

No doubt, Hoiberg is a good guy. But there's something about that clone stench... you just can't shower it off.

Fran's name is certainly going to get tossed around. He has a track record of building/re-building programs, he gets them to the tournament, he has a history of moving around, and he's been clean at every place. I have no doubt he'll get some looks.

I also have no doubt that Barta will properly compensate him if we are able to make our 4th straight NCAAs. I also have no doubt that with the ages of Fran's kids that he isn't too interested in moving at this time. I also have no doubt that, given his age, he probably is less inclined to take a rebuilding job than he was before.

Assuming he stays successful for the forseeable future, I'm pretty certain that he'll probably retire here....

Disagree. Given that both ESPN and BTN can't seem to find a way to do a full, two-hour production dedicated to CMS40, hiring Hoiberg and "thugging up" the program is our best chance at a 30-for-30 feature. You don't waste an opportunity like that. Ever.