Fran's name getting thrown out

Just got inside info from my source inside the Iowa athletic department.

Barta's contacting schools and has a donor that will help pay some of Fran's salary at his new school to get rid of him. Hoiberg's going to get fired from Chicago and will be Iowa's next coach. Just a few t's to dot and eyes to cross.

I assume this is a joke since your dotting T's and crossing "eyes". If it is a joke it was funny, but you may want to spice up the sarcasm. I wasn't 100% sure lol.

I assume this is a joke since your dotting T's and crossing "eyes". If it is a joke it was funny, but you may want to spice up the sarcasm. I wasn't 100% sure lol.

Total sarcasm. The dot t's and cross i's is from Jimmy Fallon's NFL superlatives:

lynch-122014-ftr-youtubejpg_l9vktacoaqyx1m69h05j6tnf8.jpg

If Indiana fires Tom Crean after Iowa beats them tomorrow, I bet he is scooped up by Mizzou within a week's time.

Boy Wonder has UCLA looking better.
Maybe, it's time that Indiana welcomes their Golden Boy, back.

If we are talking SEC schools, I might be more worried about Georgia. Their coach is on the hot seat. Although it's a "football school", there is a ridiculous amount of talent in the state. If they got the right guy in there, Georgia could become very good, very quickly.

Wouldn't Mizzou be a lateral move at this point. It isn't exactly Kansas, NC or UCLA for that matter? I suppose $$$$$ always talks.

Dumb. Fran finally got his team built the way he wanted to with his players (albeit missing on a few key PG's). I'm not sure why he would leave right before realizing the fruits of all his hard work.

Also I'm not sure why Fran would drag his kids out of Iowa City West and haul them off to Columbia, Missouri. Especially Patrick going into his Junior year

Agree on both parts. What the hell is the point of building teams or programs to never reap the benefits. Doesn't make sense. Add into the fact the stud recruits coming in to play alongside his sons in the future. He's not going to take a rebuilding job to have his sons a part of chitty teams. He's not going anywhere for the next several years while his boys are still in school. Not the best time to yank them out and move them and start over.

Iowa will prob up his contract and $$$$ though, which is fine.

. I say Iowa should do whatever Fran wants to do in that regards.

I think there are a lot of clueless Iowa fans when it comes to Fran and the program as far as how it's viewed outside the state. But that's just my opinion.

I agree. He needs a lifetime contract. 5 million/yr. And all of his staff should have his last name.

Last edited:
I dont think its unrealistic that eventually Fran might take another job, but its not going to be for Missouri.

Fran is from out east, but his wife is from St Paul. The one job I always thought Fran might take over Iowa would be Notre Dame, but Mike Brey isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He's the exact same age as Fran and signed through 2022.

Pure speculation but my guess his dream job could be Villanova but again Jay Wright isn't going anywhere anytime soon and I don't see him going to Mizzou.

Wouldn't Mizzou be a lateral move at this point. It isn't exactly Kansas, NC or UCLA for that matter? I suppose $$$$$ always talks.

Have you seen them the last 3 yrs? In no way would it be a lateral move. They lost 13 in a row at one point this yr and lost 6 in a row to finish the season. They got swept by Bama, Aub, Texas A&M and Ole Miss. That is awful in football but basketball? They also lost to Eastern IL, North Carolina Central and Lipscombe....Unacceptable.

How did Missouri hoops get so bad so quickly? They've always been solid to very good most of my lifetime. Those Iowa/Missouri border war games in the late 90's and 2000's were always pretty hotly contested - kinda miss the series.

That said, I'm not real worried about Fran leaving Iowa for another total rebuild job.. If I was his age, making pretty good money, and had a program that appears primed to be pretty darned good the next few years, I don't think I'd leave to take THAT job. But, that's just me.

If he does, well.. At least this program is in pretty good shape and I'd have to think it'd be an easier sell to the next coach than it was in 2010, and that we could land someone. Not sure if I trust Barta to do it - he did find Fran, but he's also the guy that hired Todd Lickliter.

How did Missouri hoops get so bad so quickly? They've always been solid to very good most of my lifetime. Those Iowa/Missouri border war games in the late 90's and 2000's were always pretty hotly contested - kinda miss the series.

That said, I'm not real worried about Fran leaving Iowa for another total rebuild job.. If I was his age, making pretty good money, and had a program that appears primed to be pretty darned good the next few years, I don't think I'd leave to take THAT job. But, that's just me.

If he does, well.. At least this program is in pretty good shape and I'd have to think it'd be an easier sell to the next coach than it was in 2010, and that we could land someone. Not sure if I trust Barta to do it - he did find Fran, but he's also the guy that hired Todd Lickliter.

Yea, I'm not sure. They did kind of fall off the face of the earth. Since going to the SEC, you never really hear of them. Weird when thinking about it. They had a good run when Norm Stewert coached them. They are not even relevant now.

Mizzou basketball wasnt a quick drop off. It has been coming for awhile. They did win games, but they had hoodlums in the lockerroom. Esp. under the last coach.
Anderson I thought would be a great hire. But it turns out he is clueless coaching offense and his practices are a mind numbing waste of time. Also, he got stuck when the racial strife hit. He had a group of players that only wanted to smoke weed and play xbox. But Anderson could not get rid of them until the offseason.

Anderson won at the D2 level because he was able to get D1 castoffs and out athlete everyone.

But he is a not a good coach.

Crean will be successful because he will be able to hang in the top 5 in the SEC for as long he is at Mizzou. And that will be sufficient.