Fran's name getting thrown out

Wow what a few Ws can do to create a 180 on the message boards! :) maybe now the "How long does Fran get?" thread can finally go in the dumpster where it belongs...

Missouri is the show me state, and they want Fran to show them how to dribble, psss, shoot....you get the point

Mizzou is not a place for Fran....

I've seen several names mentioned as candidates they want and all lead me to believe Missouri h
Mizzou admin leaked to players parents that they are offering Crean a 7 yr 2.5 mil/year deal

Why would Crean accept that? Unless of course he thinks he will be canned at Indiana.

The only job Fran would leave the Hawkeyes for would be the Chicago Bulls

:D

He is out at Indiana. It is already a done deal.
Don't get me wrong .. I'm not trying to slam or anything .. but you know this how? Indiana won the B1G regular season last year. They had a bump in the road with injuries and the like. Why would they can him? Just curious .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

The one thing that has always worried me about the potential for another school to come in and snag Fran is fan support. The game atmosphere at Carver has been awful. It certainly hasn't been what Fran and his team deserves, and Barta has shown little interest in improving it. If I were Fran that would piss me off. Why would you not do everything in your power to improve the atmosphere inside Carver as an AD? Maybe it costs you a few donor dollars initially because you tell them they have to move to accomodate the student section, but in the long run a better atmosphere benefits every single person involved. Who gives a crap if the donors have to sit a little further back. Let the students surround the court the same way Michigan State does. That's an easy step that would go a long ways.

This. If he takes off that will be a huge factor. Roll your eyes all you want if you have to acquiesce to millennials so be it . You have create an atmosphere where kids want to show up .

You could be right

I would say that our house has been over 1/2 empty all season after 3 straight NCAA appearances.

If by "our house" you mean Carver Hawkeye Arena I'd have to see some official attendance numbers to believe that. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying I find it hard to believe. That would be fewer than 7200 for every game. I'm just not buying that.

Hang on a minute...

OK... Just as I thought... pure nonsense. According to the chart at this site there hasn't been a single game at CHA this season that came anywhere close to being only half full.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Iowa_Hawkeyes_men's_basketball_team

Fran is not going anywhere. He talks about how much he loves it here. He has been successful and the future is bright. His boys will play at Iowa. He has two younger children and will be 65 years old when his youngest graduates from high school. He's done moving in my opinion, but it isn't hard to see why other schools might want him.

Wouldn't Mizzou be a lateral move at this point. It isn't exactly Kansas, NC or UCLA for that matter? I suppose $$$$$ always talks.

At this moment I wouldn't even rate it a lateral move. Mizzou isn't anywhere close to being in the league of what Fran has built here. This program is on an upward trajectory. Mizzou... not so much.

Just wanted to mention on the coaching in the Big10 right now. Good coaching throughout, but some past their prime and others unproven, Fran has a shot to cement his name in Big10 coaching hierarchy with a good showing for the next few years.

Don't get me wrong .. I'm not trying to slam or anything .. but you know this how? Indiana won the B1G regular season last year. They had a bump in the road with injuries and the like. Why would they can him? Just curious .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

All over the IU boards.He hasnt taken IU to the next level. And he has run his course. The Iowa loss will be his last game.

Also, rumors are circulating that Alford may land at IU. Esp. now that Donovan has said no way.

Fran is going NoWhere. He has turned perhaps the worst team in PowerFive basketball into a tournament team, NIT and NCAA. A rather impossible feat to achieve in his second year.....

Fran's second season we made the NIT.....

Third year we made the NIT finals.....

Followed by three years in a row in the NCAA Tounament......

This season he has the team he has been waiting to coach, and is on the NCAA Bubble with one of the youngest teams in college ball. Lose to Indiana and we will have a one or two seed in the NIT with 2/3 games at Carver......

This is remarkable and makes me question those who wanted this to be his last season at Iowa. At least that is what quite a few thought at the beginning of this season.....

Iowa City is one of the best cities to raise children in America. Missouri is a troubled university with a history of racial intolerence in a state that has a city called Ferguson. Things are much better in IC.....

Fran is building one of the very best Hawkeye basketball teams in history. The improvement and attitude of this team is remarkable, and there is more to come. He has excellent recruits coming that will, with his Freshman and Sophomores, made a deep impact in the Dance for years to come.....

He is not going to leave this team behind. These are his guys and he is very proud of them. As mentioned many times, the future is very bright. Fran's game composure is very good this season. He knew the youth of this team would make many mistakes, and we have seen this over and over again, but improvement always has followed. The team's progress under Fran's leadership is almost miraculous. A miracle that is.....!

Fran only has one losing season at Iowa, his first year. Since then we have won 20 games in a season 4 times. His third year and this one we have won 18 games. Not too shabby at all.....

Fran's The Man.....

:cool:

Last edited:
All over the IU boards.He hasnt taken IU to the next level. And he has run his course. The Iowa loss will be his last game.

Also, rumors are circulating that Alford may land at IU. Esp. now that Donovan has said no way.
Kewl .. and thanx!! Given that he won the regular season last year, I'd be surprised, but given the IU fan base, I'm not surprised.

GO HAWKS!!!

Who gives a crap if the donors have to sit a little further back.
The donors give a crap and that's what an AD in a P5 school pays attention to before anything else. Unfortunately once you give someone priveledge in exchange for money it's almost impossible to take it away.

Can you imagine if Barta approached a few million dollars worth of donors and said, "Sorry guys, were gonna have to move you up a ways to make room for the new student section." Zero chance of that conversation taking place. I agree with your point of view but it's never going to happen.

Last edited:
Lose to Indiana and we will have a one or two seed in the NIT.
I'm an unapologetic Franamaniac so don't take this wrong, but to me an NIT appearance is a failure for a P5 school with the facilities and budget of an Iowa. It's like being 5-7 and making the Foster Farms Bowl. Yeah, you made a bowl game, but people still laugh at you.

A 1 seed in the NIT means theoretically you're the 65th~ish best team in the country which isn't acceptable. I know it's glass half empty but we need to be in the dance 8 out of every 10 years. With Alford and Douche-liter out of the picture there's no reason it can't happen.

I'm an unapologetic Franamaniac so don't take this wrong, but to me an NIT appearance is a failure for a P5 school with the facilities and budget of an Iowa. It's like being 5-7 and making the Foster Farms Bowl. Yeah, you made a bowl game, but people still laugh at you.

A 1 seed in the NIT means theoretically you're the 65th~ish best team in the country which isn't acceptable. I know it's glass half empty but we need to be in the dance 8 out of every 10 years. With Alford and Douche-liter out of the picture there's no reason it can't happen.

Yeah, but making the NIT after Lick was somewhat remarkable.....

And nobody Really expected the Lads to even have a mention about the NIT at the beginning of the season.....

But I am with you and believe we should decline the disgrace of playing in the NIT this season if we happen to lose to the hoosiers.....

:cool:

For the Mizzou job - also hearing speculation his name is going to be pretty high on a lot of teams lists this off season. I hope IA can hold on to him. I think they are pretty happy here, but he's moved around a lot through out the years, you never are quite sure. Now I think the whole Conner will walk on - no he won't - no he'll take a scholly - no his dad can pay nonsense is kind of crazy. I say Iowa should do whatever Fran wants to do in that regards.

I think there are a lot of clueless Iowa fans when it comes to Fran and the program as far as how it's viewed outside the state. But that's just my opinion.

I call total and complete BS on this. Post valid links backing up what you've written or GTFO, troll.