Fran McCaffrey deserves to be fired

The loss really, really sucks. But it's crazy the leaps in judgement people have after an emotional game. Iowa got blown out by iSu last year and still had a good season.

He's light years better than our previous two coaches. Yes, we should have won. Yes, that sucked.

But step back from the ledge.

You're absolutely right. However, that's an awfully low bar you've set there. As I said in a previous thread, Fran is a great rebuilder of programs....his resume speaks for itself. However, he just doesn't have what it takes to take a team further. His best chance to make that statement was two years ago when we were Top 10 and leading the B1G, but crapped the bed down the stretch. He doesn't know how to manage success in a big time environment on a consistent basis. In basketball, it shouldn't ever take this long to get back. If he hasn't done it yet, it ain't happening....

This isn't an isolated incident. This is a trend. Frans teams go through extended periods of time where they don't look like they know basketball at all.

Prohm is already the best basketball coach in Iowa. It took him seven games to overcome Fran's six years. That's a pretty sad statement about the state of your program.

Terrible loss, not good end of game coaching, and not good execution by the players. Just looked straight up scared and lost in that last 60 seconds.

That said, No, Fran does not deserve to be fired. If anyone seriously believes this, they're wrong.

I'm pisssed as well, and this was bad. Fran would probably be the first to admit fault.

But come on. Not sure what this season holds quite yet, but I'm still very pleased with Fran (but yes, this was bad)

That's message boards.

Fran coached us to being up 8 in a game like that. You guys realize that it takes good coaching to do that right? Then out of bowhere he becomes a terrible coach and has them turn the ball over repeatedly. If he would have only used that last timeout we would have won for sure.

I'm ****** and going to bed, Prohm was handed this team, he hasn't shown anything, wait until he starts to recruit D2 players, oh wait, Iowa can't even beat those guys, well, ya'all know what I mean....Iowa had this game, choked & jizzed down their leg, they have no spine to finish, for 4 seniors this is pathetic, unacceptable, and Fran knows it, bad night for everyone involved, ISU blows period, they didn't win it, we blew it

You're absolutely right. However, that's an awfully low bar you've set there. As I said in a previous thread, Fran is a great rebuilder of programs....his resume speaks for itself. However, he just doesn't have what it takes to take a team further. His best chance to make that statement was two years ago when we were Top 10 and leading the B1G, but crapped the bed down the stretch. He doesn't know how to manage success in a big time environment on a consistent basis. In basketball, it shouldn't ever take this long to get back. If he hasn't done it yet, it ain't happening....

You may be correct, but get back to where? Pretty much everyone believed we'd take a step back this year, and it looks like that might be the case.

This was an epic meltdown, but I still think Fran is a good coach. Our large lead in the the first half was largely due to shooting lights out. That said, that ending was...ugly.

Tough damnn last 5 days for us Hawk fans.

Yep, we all definitely have low expectations.

Or it could be that the season is long and everything is still in front of the team.

Four seniors can't hold a 20 point lead or an eight point lead with under two to play.

I'd take "a step back" if it were with freshmen and sophomores. But it isn't. None of the youth are getting much time, and the seniors are the same crap they were as freshmen. I could accept this with a young team. But a senior-dominated team that can't finish is completely unacceptable, and I wish the media would start calling him on it. I won't hold my breath.

There was not a single person in the world outside of the team and a few fans thought Iowa was going to win. Fran takes his unranked team into a very difficult venue to play, and loses by one point. And now some of you whiners want him fired. Haven't any of you hysterical beeyotches learned from the FIRE FERRENTZ crowd to shut your stupid mouths? Obviously not. Learn some loyalty. Spineless nags like you are 90% of everything that's wrong with this country.

You may be correct, but get back to where? Pretty much everyone believed we'd take a step back this year, and it looks like that might be the case.

This was an epic meltdown, but I still think Fran is a good coach. Our large lead in the the first half was largely due to shooting lights out. That said, that ending was...ugly.

Tough damnn last 5 days for us Hawk fans.

Don't count me in that. I thought we would take a step forward having 4 seniors & a junior that were essentially all starters....

Fran coached us to being up 8 in a game like that. You guys realize that it takes good coaching to do that right? Then out of bowhere he becomes a terrible coach and has them turn the ball over repeatedly. If he would have only used that last timeout we would have won for sure.

Fran is the master of game planning....the guy really is a basketball genius in this regard. However, when the noose tightens at the end of games, he's completely lost and always has been. He doesn't have the ability to strategize and deal with the "unknown" when things start going off-****** or off-game plan. His leadership in end game situations is consistently non-existent and its those situations that separate great coaches from avg ones.

Four starting/playing seniors no way, shape, or form should be unable to break a press.

I just don't get it.

Latest posts