Fran McCaffrey deserves to be fired

I was in and out following the game on a tracker. I saw we were up six with a minute to go. Then I come in and find we lost by one point. WTF happened?

We have a bad coach and heartless seniors. Next question.

Fran did exacty what he was supposed to do to win the game barring not being able to get the ball inbounds. The only problem I have with Fran is when we were up 1 and he thinks we will get a good shot like that. Get the fricking ball inbounds!

I was in and out following the game on a tracker. I saw we were up six with a minute to go. Then I come in and find we lost by one point. WTF happened?
ISU pressed so we panicked and threw the ball inbounds to out best ballhandler, Woodbury. Then ran our patented stand around and run the shot clock down then have Gesell throw something up.

Watched the first half. Had a bad feeling about the second half. FF the second half. Saw they lost. What happened? I can read about the blow by blow, just didn't care to watch it. Just the facts, please, if anyone is stable enough to recount it yet.

Watched the first half. Had a bad feeling about the second half. FF the second half. Saw they lost. What happened? I can read about the blow by blow, just didn't care to watch it. Just the facts, please, if anyone is stable enough to recount it yet.

Coaching was simply inexcusable in the second half. Just horrid. Iowa State inevitably makes a floater with less than 10 seconds left to go up by 1. Iowa still has a timeout but Fran doesn't use it, lets Iowa try to force something, finally Uthoff, who Iowa State has shut down in the second half, tries a falling away three from beyond the arc that comes nowhere close to going in.

All you need to know is they were up six with the ball with a minute to go. Trying to inbound and crapping their pants they thow the ball right to an ISU player who makes a pass for a wide open three point shot. Still cleaning up feces from his shorts and the ensuing inbound pass he fails to get the ball in before a 5 second call. Then Niang hits two freethrows to get them within one. Then Iowa goes into their patented dribble around and do nothing offense for a shotclock violation giving ISU the ball with 22 seconds left down 1. Morris drives in for an easy two pointer and ISU is up one with 9 seconds left. Iowa then dribbles around like idiots, takes a prayer three and misses, game over.

Oh and Fran gets to take his timeout home with him, because obviously there was never a time in all that where he could have used one.:mad:

It happens all the time in college (and pro) basketball. A team gets a big lead against a team that is supposed to beat them and they tighten up and no one wants to take a shot cuz they might miss. McCaffrey should have called a TO when ISU started pressing the inbounds at the end but didn't. The game ended just like I figured it would.

When will coaches figure out that you need to start your play for the shot with 12 seconds left on the shot clock instead of 8. That is not enough time to get a good shot off. McCaffrey isn't the only one that coaches that way.

Objectively - Iowa was red hot, including start of the second half. Then ISU started playing defense (and stopped turning the ball over). Meanwhile, ISU was scoring at will, mainly in the paint. And, Iowa choked away a lead in the last minute for the second straight trip to Ames.

Coaching was simply inexcusable in the second half. Just horrid. Iowa State inevitably makes a floater with less than 10 seconds left to go up by 1. Iowa still has a timeout but Fran doesn't use it, lets Iowa try to force something, finally Uthoff, who Iowa State has shut down in the second half, tries a falling away three from beyond the arc that comes nowhere close to going in.

I think what is most frustrating to folks is that it is hard to accept the loss the way it happened especially after playing so well in the first half, and the kids really did play quite well for the first 30 minutes and executed the game plan vet well. Just really hard to stomach that finish.

Thanks. My night is so much better for not having seen that. I'd love to hear Fran's explanation for not calling the timeout.

larrydavid.gif

I'm not surprised. Didn't watch it yet but I saw the score at half time. Fran loses more games when we lead at the half, than any coach I can recall. Oh well.

Latest posts