Fran McCaffery Says Hawkeyes Will Rebound from Down Season

Sorry. Not getting caught up in the psychobabble with you, Dr. Phil.

I agree with Fran on his point, plain and simple. I disagree with your points on the players being discussed and pretty much all of your points about the program. And we’ve already had these discussions. It’s tiring and unnecessary.

Where am I wrong about defensive posture and foot work. Where am I wrong in allowing a slow team to be aggressive on transition makes where Iowa can't stop teams. Where I am wrong on the 1/2 court. Where am I wrong about not having the quickness to compete. Where am I wrong on his court side demeanor being a problem.

Sorry. Not getting caught up in the psychobabble with you, Dr. Phil.

I agree with Fran on his point, plain and simple. I disagree with your points on the players being discussed and pretty much all of your points about the program. And we’ve already had these discussions. It’s tiring and unnecessary.

Do you ever question what the UofI athletic department ever says or does? Serious question.

It's not that easy. Jok could get his shot up when needed. We won 5 close games in the BIG last season where Jok scored 25 (MICH - OT), 18 (RUT), 29 (PUR), 35 (IND - OT) and 8 (which was a 59 - 57 game against Wisconsin). 4 of those 5 close wins were at CHA. When you can't play defense, you better have a guy that can get his shot at the end of games. We didn't have that this year. Having that guy isn't enough to to get to the NCAA tournament when your team doesn't play defense but it can be the difference between a few close wins and close losses. I saw that team play defense in the 16-17 season and it wasn't good. At all.
I find it hard to point to giving up .6 fewer PPG as being the reason for winning 5 more games but I've been wrong before.

l'ning, don't necessarily disagree with your points. but listening with a fine-toothed comb, he essentially said that our defense lacked discipline and a commitment to discipline. that was the point he was making with the comparison to the previous season. The "commitment" he's looking for is for a season long, sustained commitment to discipline; meaning, hustle, effort, execution and accountability. I didn't take it as Fran saying our defense was so much better the previous season; but there were far less breakdowns in assignments and with the scoring we had, we won more games.

He called the people that didn’t appreciate what Woodbury, Gesell, Clemmons and Uthoff did for the program idiots and morons.

I tend to agree with him.

Yep, count me among those who provided critical commentary, but also gave applause when earned; but always, always appreciated the effort. effort is all you can give. you're born with a given talent and those players optimized their talent with effort. it's all you can ask for.

OK, you carry the bigger stick. You win. There was nothing wrong with my points. I'm actually pretty balanced. You don't have to be a jerk about it.

Sorry if you feel that way. I didn’t say there was anything wrong with your points. I said I don’t agree with them and the psychoanalysis in many of your posts is tiring, including this one. I’m guessing you don’t like things about me on here.

Based on our interactions on these message boards, we don’t agree on much and probably wouldn’t hang out in “real life.” That’s fine.

Monitoring these boards is part of my job. It’s one a don’t care for, for the most part, because it’s overwhelmingly a cesspool of negativity, like social media.

I went to journalism school way back when to become a sports writer. I enjoy covering games and writing features about people in sports.

I wasn’t expecting to be spending time interacting with anonymous people electronically. It’s why I mostly read and monitor instead of gettimg involved in conversation on here or Twitter.

I honestly don’t know what some of you guys get out of it. It’s depressing. But, to each his own.

Do you ever question what the UofI athletic department ever says or does? Serious question.

No. I’m afraid of losing my access. It’s one of my favorite narratives on here. It’s very insightful.

That’s it for me on this one, boys. Peace out.

Exactly. One of the things Kirk definitely does right; his players don't get caught up in the outside noise. I'm not sure if Kirk's ever called a portion of his fanbase names like morons and idiots, either. And you know I'm not big KF fan, so that's saying something...

personally, i don't mind the language. and personally, i cannot stand kirk at a microphone doing his best Stan Laurel look-alike routine, speaking words and saying nothing. i'll take Fran's approach.

personally, i don't mind the language. and personally, i cannot stand kirk at a microphone doing his best Stan Laurel look-alike routine, speaking words and saying nothing. i'll take Fran's approach.
Im not the biggest kirk fan but he's a good guy, Fran is a hot head. I see where his kids get off tweeting the stuff they do and I have the feeling next year could be very entertaining with 3 Mc's together

Im not the biggest kirk fan but he's a good guy, Fran is a hot head. I see where his kids get off tweeting the stuff they do and I have the feeling next year could be very entertaining with 3 Mc's together

a hot head is: a person who is impetuous or who easily becomes angry and violent. Fran is not a hot head.

don't confuse Fran periodically showing emotion as being hot headed. because if you do, then you need to also call kirk a hot head because he HAS shown emotion on the field. He's even thrown f-bombs are officials. Fran and kirk have quite similar demeanor off the field.

a hot head is: a person who is impetuous or who easily becomes angry and violent. Fran is not a hot head.

don't confuse Fran periodically showing emotion as being hot headed. because if you do, then you need to also call kirk a hot head because he HAS shown emotion on the field. He's even thrown f-bombs are officials. Fran and kirk have quite similar demeanor off the field.
Couldn't be more wrong

gu0m2.jpg

Sorry if you feel that way. I didn’t say there was anything wrong with your points. I said I don’t agree with them and the psychoanalysis in many of your posts is tiring, including this one. I’m guessing you don’t like things about me on here.

Based on our interactions on these message boards, we don’t agree on much and probably wouldn’t hang out in “real life.” That’s fine.

Monitoring these boards is part of my job. It’s one a don’t care for, for the most part, because it’s overwhelmingly a cesspool of negativity, like social media.

I went to journalism school way back when to become a sports writer. I enjoy covering games and writing features about people in sports.

I wasn’t expecting to be spending time interacting with anonymous people electronically. It’s why I mostly read and monitor instead of gettimg involved in conversation on here or Twitter.

I honestly don’t know what some of you guys get out of it. It’s depressing. But, to each his own.

It just seems you think I'm an easier target because in general I do try and be polite and make reasonable comments even if they are negative.

I don't want to keep this up either. You did in a passive way tell people not to criticize your article rather than engaging. You obviously also selectively target my posts which overall aren't that negative. I have coached HS sports. Almost any decent HS coach and good rec coach can spot some of Iowa's weak spots. The weaknesses are often very basic. Something that collegiate coaches should know.

My biggest pet peeve was Woodbury's hand movements. It's very basic to teach to a big man with limited quickness and it got in in trouble repeatedly and indirectly cost him a step in foot quickness.

What we get out of it is that some of us have been Hawk fans even longer than you. Some previous coaches including Davis brought in a high amount of class. Fran just doesn't bring that in my opinion. He embarrasses this prideful Hawk fan. Living in another state near a Big campus, I get the slack. Losing is one thing. Losing and being a nut is another. I don't get Iowa's lack of fundamentals...I just don't. It was difficult on this long time Hawk fan who got the nickname Hawkeye on his out of state campus because of my loyalty and pride in the program. It's hard to be proud of this and it's not just the losing. It's the style. It's the lack of real fundamentals on most phases. You've certainly heard me say that Cook and JBo are two of the best players in the Big. Of the thread on Moss, you've certainly heard me say that not very many players could ever put up 30 in a Big game. Fran has some talent. Some pretty good talent. He just can't put that together. This far in he probably never will. Woody's senior year was likely his best shot. It was a nice season. Clean up some fundamentals and it's much better.

Latest posts