Fran McCaffery Says Hawkeyes Will Rebound from Down Season

What he should be learning from Jay Wright is how to target the right kind of player.

When you watch 'Nova teams, there is one consistency - mental toughness and resolve. His players are focused, tough, and battle-ready. Some of that probably is coaching, but I would propose that a lot of it is the make up of the players he recruits. He looks for that "certain something" that's hard to define, but he knows it when he sees it. His players never hang their heads, and they never wilt under pressure.

Fran is not as bad as many fans make him out to be, but I do think a fair criticism is that perhaps he needs to adjust how he prioritizes traits he looks for in recruits. The passive nice guy wallflower types are never going to put us over the top, and we consistently have too many of them.

He made the relevation 5 or 6 years ago that he needed to get tougher minded kids. And he has stated as such on numerous occasions. It started with the Archiano(sp?) class. The Brunson kid will be a marginal pro at best, but he is as tough as nails and a leader.

Last edited:
based on the defense played, the season before last, the record was better.
It's not that easy. Jok could get his shot up when needed. We won 5 close games in the BIG last season where Jok scored 25 (MICH - OT), 18 (RUT), 29 (PUR), 35 (IND - OT) and 8 (which was a 59 - 57 game against Wisconsin). 4 of those 5 close wins were at CHA. When you can't play defense, you better have a guy that can get his shot at the end of games. We didn't have that this year. Having that guy isn't enough to to get to the NCAA tournament when your team doesn't play defense but it can be the difference between a few close wins and close losses. I saw that team play defense in the 16-17 season and it wasn't good. At all.
I find it hard to point to giving up .6 fewer PPG as being the reason for winning 5 more games but I've been wrong before.

Calling a small group of fans morons at this level still shows mental weakness. Guess this current team learns from the poor example!! This entire Basketball Program from top to bottom appears it’s in need of some Therapy sessions..
I don't have a problem with Fran expressing that opinion. It's in direct defense of his players.

Agreed. He has his players’ backs like Mr. Davis. Alford and Lickliter threw guys under the bus

Many players consistently digress? Something not right about that picture. In addition he throws them under the bus during coaching in games and no defensive coaching.

Not having good game coaching is throwing players under the bus. Continually putting your team at odds against officials is throwing them under the bus.

Calling a small group of fans morons at this level still shows mental weakness. Guess this current team learns from the poor example!! This entire Basketball Program from top to bottom appears it’s in need of some Therapy sessions..
Exactly. One of the things Kirk definitely does right; his players don't get caught up in the outside noise. I'm not sure if Kirk's ever called a portion of his fanbase names like morons and idiots, either. And you know I'm not big KF fan, so that's saying something...

He called the people that didn’t appreciate what Woodbury, Gesell, Clemmons and Uthoff did for the program idiots and morons.

I tend to agree with him.

At face value for sure. However, given the talent level, many think that Woodbury and Clemmons under performed, but not because of the player.

The Woodbury/Uthoff teams when he was upper class under performed and went out with a terrible wimper. They struggled early against good but not great teams, made a nice run against MSU and Purdue and faded at the end.

Gesell I don't think ever under performed. Like J Bo he has his strengths and weaknesses. Clemmons seemed to under perform, but again, no blame on the player.

This discussion seems like a Fran deflection of getting to the heart of the matter. The real issues are; lack of game coaching, recruiting, and his demeanor. The issues aren't fan opinions of those players.

I know most people probably won't see it this way, but it's probably not very smart to call a portion of your fanbase as morons & idiots ever, let alone just after one of your school's worst seasons in a long time.
Just when i thought Fran couldnt go and make me think less of him he goes and totally redeems himself! Man he is the biggest tool in the shed

We’ve had all these discussions ad neuseum, fellas. No new thoughts or ideas here even if they’re presented through tiring psychoanalysis generated from observing a small part of the picture.

If you’re done with Fran, you’re done with him. If he sucks like you think, he’ll be gone eventually.

If he sucks like you think, he’ll be gone eventually.
I'm not so sure about that.

bartabeatup.0.jpg

no blame on the player.
We’ve had all these discussions ad neuseum, fellas. No new thoughts or ideas here even if they’re presented through tiring psychoanalysis generated from observing a small part of the picture.

If you’re done with Fran, you’re done with him. If he sucks like you think, he’ll be gone eventually.

In all fairness, you threw it out there. Now you are taking the high road?

He called the people that didn’t appreciate what Woodbury, Gesell, Clemmons and Uthoff did for the program idiots and morons.

I guess he doesn't want to discuss now?

Sorry. Not getting caught up in the psychobabble with you, Dr. Phil.

I agree with Fran on his point, plain and simple. I disagree with your points on the players being discussed and pretty much all of your points about the program. And we’ve already had these discussions. It’s tiring and unnecessary.

Sorry. Not getting caught up in the psychobabble with you, Dr. Phil.

I agree with Fran on his point, plain and simple. I disagree with your points on the players being discussed and pretty much all of your points about the program. And we’ve already had these discussions. It’s tiring and unnecessary.

OK, you carry the bigger stick. You win. There was nothing wrong with my points. I'm actually pretty balanced. You don't have to be a jerk about it.

Latest posts