Fran McCaffery Says Hawkeyes Will Rebound from Down Season

So basically according to Fran,

images

And if you are an Iowa fan and question the machine, "you are a moron or an idiot and I don't care." Nice Fran. :confused:

He called Hawkeye fans morons. Lol

That really rubbed me the wrong way. If it were not for the money, Fran would be out of Iowa yesterday. The money is holding this thing together.

I lost more respect for Fran after hearing that. Smells like a "rank amateur" like comment, but even more directly off putting to the fan base.

Last edited:
It makes sense to me that if you are a fan you are a moron or idiot. Personally, I'm an idiot in a lot of ways which is probably pretty normal. Being a fan of college basketball doesn't require a lot of intellectual effort. If you think about it, cheering on guys you probably will never know is kind of strange. The three Michigan state basketball players accused of raping the 18 year old girl probably has a lot of Michigan state fans. It does all sound pretty idiotic.

He called the people that didn’t appreciate what Woodbury, Gesell, Clemmons and Uthoff did for the program idiots and morons.

I tend to agree with him.

But that is not something the head coach should be saying publically ever to a fan base. Not like that.

It is just BAD PR. It should not be said like that....especially after a deflating season like this. Between twitter and now Fran talking smack at his own fan base..well it is not wise to bite the hands that feed your program.

Thin skin coach. Thin skin program at the moment.

Agreed. He has his players’ backs like Mr. Davis. Alford and Lickliter threw guys under the bus

He can stick up for this players other ways without bashing the fan base (portions of it or whatever). He has a higher bar as a head coach (or he should). It just comes off bad. It could be as simple as I disagree with the assessments of others with my players and here is why.............

Iowa really needs to hire a PR firm.

Im not the biggest kirk fan but he's a good guy, Fran is a hot head. I see where his kids get off tweeting the stuff they do and I have the feeling next year could be very entertaining with 3 Mc's together

I think both have egos to a certain degree. But, one is a bit more wiser when it comes to commenting in public and overseeing his players on social media. One of these guys certainly has a better resume in his respective sport. I think also one of these guys is a lot more Iowa than the other.

how so? you've never seen kirk erupt on the sidelines? i have. many times. you've never watched kirk yelling and screaming at officials? i have. many times. you've never had the occasion to lip read kirk yelling "that's f---ing bullsh-t" at officials? i have. and by the way, yelling "that's f---ing bullsh-t" is very easy to lip read.

have you ever seen kirk blow up and yell and scream in a press conference? i have not. have you ever seen fran blow up and yell and scream in a press conference? i have not.

so again, how so?

Both have certainly cursed....but I don't recall Kirk ever calling the fan base "morons or idiots" and don't recall Kirk ever slamming down a chair on the playing field.

Kirk does give a boring press conference, but boring was always be better than calling the fan base morons or idiots....especially if you are coming off a miserable season and flip that back at the fan base.

If Fran was the maniac people thought he was, his kids would have found an excuse not to come here. He just takes "having his player's back" to the extreme. It's clearly very important to him.

Also, watch the chair slamming video. Anyone who has any ability to read body language can see he's trying to motivate the players. That wasn't uncontrollable rage like a lot of people think.

The kids don't mind their father's abhorrent behavior...sometimes they even follow in his footsteps and lash out on Twitter.

I listened to the pod cast and I'm an Iowa fan, yet I never got the impression that he was calling me an Idiot or a moron. It just amazes me how some (fans?) on here can take anything that is said or done and twist it around to met their agenda.

images

And if you are an Iowa fan and question the machine, "you are a moron or an idiot and I don't care." Nice Fran. :confused:
If Animal House came out today, or anytime after the 1990's, no way would Kevin Bacon have been a Beta. He would have been a rebel rousing Delta with Bluto and Boon and Otter and the rest.

If Fran was the maniac people thought he was, his kids would have found an excuse not to come here. He just takes "having his player's back" to the extreme. It's clearly very important to him.

Also, watch the chair slamming video. Anyone who has any ability to read body language can see he's trying to motivate the players. That wasn't uncontrollable rage like a lot of people think.

Did you go to PSU or Baylor and get a "Stick my Head in the Sand Degree"?

There is so much in this post. Several things I don't get.

1. Having players backs. upload_2018-4-10_8-20-18.jpeg

2. Motivating players upload_2018-4-10_8-21-25.jpeg
images

3. Not uncontrollable rage.
images
upload_2018-4-10_8-25-26.jpeg
chairslam_medium.jpg

OK we get it.upload_2018-4-10_8-25-56.jpeg

Both have certainly cursed....but I don't recall Kirk ever calling the fan base "morons or idiots" and don't recall Kirk ever slamming down a chair on the playing field.

Kirk does give a boring press conference, but boring was always be better than calling the fan base morons or idiots....especially if you are coming off a miserable season and flip that back at the fan base.

neither has fran. the question was regarding how he felt about those who didn't appreciate Woodbury, Gesell, Clemons and Uthoff's efforts on the defensive end and what that meant to the team. Remember, Fran had to publicly defend Woody multiple times because "fans" were mercilessly (and incorrectly) attacking him for four years. Why? because he couldn't dunk. because he never developed a 15 ft jumper. THOSE fans he called morons...and idiots. And the parallel he drew was how Jay Wright (after 1st final 4) was able to recruit a higher level of talent, but they were not good teammates. So the "morons" and "idiots" were to those (actually fans and non-fans) who crucify players and don't understand what their true value is to the team.

Kirk HAS done that. we all know he has defended his players in that fashion.

Did you go to PSU or Baylor and get a "Stick my Head in the Sand Degree"?

There is so much in this post. Several things I don't get.

1. Having players backs. View attachment 3245

2. Motivating players View attachment 3246
images

3. Not uncontrollable rage.
images
View attachment 3247
chairslam_medium.jpg

OK we get it.View attachment 3248

Go ahead and recount the exact context for each pic and then we can talk.

I would say that the very last pic of Iowa at MSU when fran threw the chair we all applauded him for it. we related that to Hayden Fry threatening his players after the OU loss that if he sees anyone smiling after a close loss that he would punch them in the mouth. Hayden was trying to change the culture. Fran was doing the same thing in that photo.

in the photo second from bottom, i could very easily tell you Fran was only exhorting his players to get into their defensive stances and the ref was simply making sure Fran didn't step onto the court. So, um, that's coaching up his players.

Go ahead and recount the exact context for each pic and then we can talk.

I would say that the very last pic of Iowa at MSU when fran threw the chair we all applauded him for it. we related that to Hayden Fry threatening his players after the OU loss that if he sees anyone smiling after a close loss that he would punch them in the mouth. Hayden was trying to change the culture. Fran was doing the same thing in that photo.

in the photo second from bottom, i could very easily tell you Fran was only exhorting his players to get into their defensive stances and the ref was simply making sure Fran didn't step onto the court. So, um, that's coaching up his players.

Iowa fans were desperate at that time. The fact is that it's not an act for Fran. You can't act a red face. That is the problem. Nobody took HF seriously on that, but hung on every word. Fran coaching up players?

Why did he bring up the past in the interview. Is it to protect the honor of former players? More like covering his own behind.

To compare the two is a huge insult to a Hawkeye great.

images

Some poster said that Fran called fans morons who don’t appreciate what Woodbury, Uthoff, Clemons, and Gesell did for the program.

If that’s true, then props to Fran for calling it; he’s right. They are idiots.

I listened to the pod cast and I'm an Iowa fan, yet I never got the impression that he was calling me an Idiot or a moron. It just amazes me how some (fans?) on here can take anything that is said or done and twist it around to met their agenda.

Bingo.

He said those fans that didn't appreciate Woodbury, Gesell, Clemmons and Uthoff were idiots and morons, to which I agreed. He didn't even say they were above criticism, just under appreciated.

Then it gets turned into he's calling all Iowa fans names.

Bingo.

He said those fans that didn't appreciate Woodbury, Gesell, Clemmons and Uthoff were idiots and morons, to which I agreed. He didn't even say they were above criticism, just under appreciated.

Context, context context. It's everything. If it's not the way it's being reported it's the way in which the person reading interpreted it.

Bingo.

He called certain idiots. How hard is that for you to wrap your mind around? JFC

Latest posts