Fran Is Quantitatively Steve Alford Now

Fryowa

Administrator
I like Fran. I think he's a player's coach and that's huge. He sticks up for his players, and he's outspoken about calling out cheating shit stains like Calipari and Pitino.

But...

If we're being honest, he's a carbon copy of Alford after 8 years.

--Alford was .589 overall and .477 in B1G

--Fran is .586 overall and .481 in B1G.

--Alford took 3 teams to the NIT and 3 teams to the NCAA, getting past the first round once and making the E8.

--After 8 years Fran has taken 3 teams to the NIT and made 2 NCAAs getting to the 2nd round twice (that play in game doesn't count; I don't give a F what anyone says). Alford didn't get that joke of a chance at a play-in, so regardless, it's getting wiped out for this.

I'm sorry, I know Alford was a dick and everyone hated him, but if the Hawks don't got to the dance and win a couple games (not gonna happen), he's officially worse than the 'Fraud and it's time to go. While I think Daddy Warbucks is untouchable on the football side of things, I don't think Fran has quite as much security. Either way, it's up to the donors, not, Farta.

Let's go donors...tell Gary where the bear shits.

I like Fran. I think he's a player's coach and that's huge. He sticks up for his players, and he's outspoken about calling out cheating shit stains like Calipari and Pitino.

But...

--Alford took 3 teams to the NIT and 3 teams to the NCAA, getting past the first round once and making the E8.

--After 8 years Fran has taken 3 teams to the NIT and made 2 NCAAs getting to the 2nd round twice (that play in game doesn't count; I don't give a F what anyone says). Alford didn't get that joke of a chance at a play-in, so regardless, it's getting wiped out for this.

I'm sorry, I know Alford was a dick and everyone hated him, but if the Hawks don't got to the dance and win a couple games (not gonna happen), he's officially worse than the 'Fraud and it's time to go. While I think Daddy Warbucks is untouchable on the football side of things, I don't think Fran has quite as much security. Either way, it's up to the donors, not, Farta.

I'll give you that both coaches have had similar numbers, there's no question about that.

I understand your stance on the so called "play in game" not counting. I for one dislike that stance, just go ask Tennessee and Syracuse if they want to give back their sweet sixteens.

But...

I become more convinced with every passing year, and I feel this way regardless of how this year goes, that any destination coach we hire is eventually going to stagnate like Alford or Fran or the last four or five years of Tom Davis. Even when it's a little successful, it feels tired and uninspired.

I would like to see Iowa hire a hot up and comer even if he is using us as a stepping stone and will be somewhere else in five years. I guarantee they will stay hungry and not come off as complacent. Ralph Miller and Lute Olson come to mind and those eras are probably our most successful in the past half century, with the exception of early Mr. Davis with someone else's players. Good luck getting Barta to hire that.

I know Fran wants to win. But where is the urgency to have to win? When you are locked in through the middle of the next decade with a huge buyout.

But...

But...

.....but the real question is.............did McCaffery steal a lawnmower?

Alford took the 2003 team to the elite 8-of the NIT. That's the equivalent of playing the "any number" game game on the Price Is Right and getting the money in the piggy bank instead of the car.

No he didn't, he took them to the final 16. The NIT expanded to 40 teams that season, we beat Valpo in a "play in" game, then beat ISU in the round of 32. Lost to Georgia Tech in the round of 16.

And I still can't figure out why folks think the "first four" game in the NCAA doesn't count either. When you are the 34th at large team in, you made the dance every single year whether they had 64, 65, or 68 teams.

But...

There are no play in games for the NCAA tournament.

And I still can't figure out why folks think the "first four" game in the NCAA doesn't count either. When you are the 34th at large team in, you made the dance every single year whether they had 64, 65, or 68 teams.
One reason is that you can't compare it apples/apples to previous years.

By your logic we should should maybe count the conference championship games as part of the tournament because if you win them you get into the field of 64?

Maybe we should count any games that have to be won in order to get into the conference championship games? Where do you stop?

Last edited:
The "first four" are ridiculous play-in games.

I'm guessing you think the Hawks have 4 national football titles because Wikipedia says we do?

You skipped over my comments, so you think Tennessee and Syracuse should give back their Sweet 16s? :)

Alfraud vs Fran is all anyone needs to know, to understand Gutless Gary's version of running an AD. Results don't mean jack shit to Gutless Gary. If they did, there's no way in hell that he could run Alfraud off and give Fran an extension.
This is the AD that some of you fools continue to support.

You skipped over my comments, so you think Tennessee and Syracuse should give back their Sweet 16s? :)
If i'm sticking to my guns then I guess I have to. I would say they shouldn't have been there, yeah.

I guess, where do you stop?

Just like in my Fran post, I didn't bring up average conference finish because Fran plays in a 14 team and Alford played in an 11 team league. They're not the same.

I struggle with a play in game being counted when for the previous 26 years that same scenario wouldn't have resulted in a tournament berth.