Fran is banking extra ship until 2019.

Fran couldn't or wouldn't recruit a grad or juco guard to back up our backcourt screams loud and clear to me either delusional or confusional.
If he couldn’t why would that scream loud and clear to you that he is delusional or confusional?

If we fail to make at least the NIT next year, the U might be willing to pay the $$, especially if Forbes and/or Jans have another successful season.
Won't happen. Even if we fail to make the NIT. I think we WILL make the NIT, but even if we don't, he won't fire Fran.

I don't think even the biggest Fran apologist would think he'd be here another 6 years without having some NCAA success.
I'm talking about Fran's buyout removing the urge for him to make appropriate changes over the next 6 years. If you have no fear of the consequences, what's the motivation to change your behavior? If Gutless was to fire Fran, he'd pay him 10 million and Fran would be coaching another mid-major program one year later. That sounds like a recipe to reward failure, not success.

I'd expect Gary to be fired first.
I expected Gutless to be fired after the 6 million he cost Iowa in the lawsuit. For some reason, that didn't happen. Gutless Gary will "retire" when the BTN contract money takes a big hit and he is forced to deal with the consequences of his actions. By then, the damage will be too extensive to repair.

I'm talking about Fran's buyout removing the urge for him to make appropriate changes over the next 6 years. If you have no fear of the consequences, what's the motivation to change your behavior? If Gutless was to fire Fran, he'd pay him 10 million and Fran would be coaching another mid-major program one year later. That sounds like a recipe to reward failure, not success.

The motivation is being better. All of these coaches have an ego and all want to be thought of successful. Granted, Fran thinks he has a good 'body of work' at this point. We can disagree with this. But to think that these coaches are not motivated to be as good as they can be is not correct, IMO. It's why they take the job in the 1st place.

Now, should Fran be doing some things differently (grad transfer, defensive changes, etc.) to be more successful? Maybe. But these coaches who have been successful (he was a success at other stops) think their way is successful. I wish he would change things up (possibly a change in the coaching staff) to have a different set of eyes/ears in the program, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

The motivation is being better. All of these coaches have an ego and all want to be thought of successful. Granted, Fran thinks he has a good 'body of work' at this point. We can disagree with this. But to think that these coaches are not motivated to be as good as they can be is not correct, IMO. It's why they take the job in the 1st place.

Now, should Fran be doing some things differently (grad transfer, defensive changes, etc.) to be more successful? Maybe. But these coaches who have been successful (he was a success at other stops) think their way is successful. I wish he would change things up (possibly a change in the coaching staff) to have a different set of eyes/ears in the program, but it doesn't look like that will happen.
That's it. The motivation to change has to outweigh his ego. Lots of good coaches can't look inside themselves, recognize failures and make the necessary changes to improve. Hell, a lot of adults can't do it in any aspect of their personal or professional lives.

I expected Gutless to be fired after the 6 million he cost Iowa in the lawsuit. For some reason, that didn't happen. Gutless Gary will "retire" when the BTN contract money takes a big hit and he is forced to deal with the consequences of his actions. By then, the damage will be too extensive to repair.
The huuge Tv contract/MONEY hurts in Win column.Us fans want wins but the "Bosses" luv what GOLD can do.Wins a distant second till money/runs on empty.Simple but Hawk players try hard still.....

I don't know what motivates Fran...but some things are pretty clear and simple.

For 99% of fans, even "idiots and morons" one glance at this latest season shows you a team in disarray, and fundamentally unsound, and... leaderless on the court and court-side.

We have coaches paid millions of dollars a season to fix such problems...fix it...

If you can't fix it...well...don't blame the fans who witness your body of work, or lack thereof...and are frustrated.

If he couldn’t why would that scream loud and clear to you that he is delusional or confusional?
Delusional to think he can stand pat with this team and improve, confusional because he can't manage to recruit a point guard, or should I say inept?

You know you are kind of likable sometimes.
sometimes. But it’s winter still. And when you’ve come through a health crisis I’ve heard that can happen.

I just don’t remember if I saw that on Dr. Phil’s show or on Cheers.