Forum redesign to roll out soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mouse hover for forum list does not work for Opera Mini 6 or Webkit, both on blackberry. I fully realize that mobile devices aren't your primary audience, but I miss the old static forum list on my BB (which I am on at the moment).

Mouse hover for forum list does not work for Opera Mini 6 or Webkit, both on blackberry. I fully realize that mobile devices aren't your primary audience, but I miss the old static forum list on my BB (which I am on at the moment).

Not working for me at work either.

CAN'T.GET.TO.P/C.FORUM.:eek:

I have a lot of blank white space on the right side. (using Chrome)

The longer the threads go, there will be some empty space below the ad slots. I could cram that full of widgets and the like, but it I think we have achieved a balance of speed vs features/ads for right now. In another year or two, as connection speeds increase, we can always look at things...if there is a way to slide something aesthetically pleasing in there that is 40KB or less on weight, such as Hawkeye wallpaper, that is something to think about.

But the more we put in, the longer it takes to load and performance in that area is very important.

Works fine with the App on my Android. :)

Also appears to be working on IE9.

Out of over 300K total visits to the site the last month, less than 1000 were via Opera Mini an 641 were Opera....1850 visits came via one of the numerous Blackberry versions.

Those added up combine for around 3200 visits...or roughly .01% of the total visitors to the site.

96% of the traffic comes from IE, FF, Safari or Chrome.

Not working for me at work either.

CAN'T.GET.TO.P/C.FORUM.:eek:

The forum landing page, from the front page of the site or hawkeyenation.com/forum should show recent posts...some of those posts are from the PC board. Click on the link that shows you the name of the forum the topic is posted in, then bookmark that if you want.

Just noticed we still have quirks when you click on 'Post Reply' icons vs just using the quick reply function.

Yes, change happening now and there are a few things that need ironed out....bear with us while we get a look at what needs to be tweaked...going from a staging/development site to the real thing always seems to include an ironing out process and clearly we have some work to do once you get inside the body of a thread.

The ad bar at the bottom of the page looks like crap. There are more ads on the screen than there is room to type.

Why is it after I have signed in and click on the Forums header it shows that I am not signed in. But if I click on Recent Threads - it recognizes me as being signed in? Using Chrome by the way.

What's cool is now I can make my window smaller from the right side and not miss anything on the left! More efficient for the workday!! Great job Jon!

The ad bar at the bottom of the page looks like crap. There are more ads on the screen than there is room to type.

It will be staying, and there is plenty of room to type. In fact, the forums space is nearly identical to what it was before the change. There are fewer ads on the page right now than there were before the change, too

Also, there are a few tweaks to be made yet tonight that will boost loading speed back to what it was before the change.

It will be staying, and there is plenty of room to type. In fact, the forums space is nearly identical to what it was before the change. There are fewer ads on the page right now than there were before the change, too

Also, there are a few tweaks to be made yet tonight that will boost loading speed back to what it was before the change.

Oh I don't expect you to move it. I'm just saying it looks awful. Hideous is not too strong of a word.

JD, I can forgive you for screwing up my HN BlackBerry experience, because the various font size/color/type options now work for me on Chrome.

What cracks me up is the advertisements that show up on here. I am not shopping anytime soon at ideeli and I doubt anyone else it here.

I chose a way to provide eyeball value foe local advertisers while letting me maximize above the fold third party inventory. Without a background color, the footer toolbar would get lost. We probably can ad some opacity to it however.

Many of the third party ads display companies based upon either the region you are in or they can tell where u have been online lately and they show companies based on that. With indecent channels being filtered of course.

Any way to get the page centered instead of left-justified? I'm not talking about centering the text between the ads or anything... I'm just talking about centering the page so it looks better on widescreen monitors. Here's what it looks like on 1920x1200 in FF5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts