For those of you that don't remember re: Stoops

C'mon I didn't see Bill-o anywhere near Hayden during all of those HULA Bowls. Just Hayden and his playbook.:D

So would you rather have Hayden or KOK running your offense?

hayden ran the offense in the 2nd half of his tenure at iowa (the oc was just a figurehead during this time). check out his record during that time........he had some carry over to 90/91 with contemporary player from the pre 1990 timeframe, but after those guys left and the offensive coaches left - yes, including the lowly KF, Fry ran a lot of 3rd down draws........

do the droid hawk, go get some rest my friend. your out of your league here.

I didn't mean to downplay Fry's coaching job that year in any way. It was terrific, and for where the program had been, it was unbelievable. But at the end of the day, Stoops' Sooners had a better 2000 season than Fry's '81 Hawkeyes.

stating the obvious is somewhat hard for many who frequent and post on this board. but you are right on. what would an 8-3 record get you in the modern day big 10/ncaa? certainly not a trip to pasadena........heck, KF couldn't even get that with his 2002 team......

PJ and CecilB nice job. Do you also remember how long it took before KF signed his initial contract. I will stand by my initial statement Bowlsby is a idiot, and agree he wanted Terry Allen the entire time. I'm very happy it has worked out for most people involved.

So let me get this straight......Bowlsby had Stoops asking multiple times for the job offer when he had a candidate pool of Patterson, Long and Allen and he still didnt give it to him? And then at the last minute Ferentz applied after it being suggested he do so by a former Fry staff memeber?

I knew some of the details of the Ferentz hire but this stuff is incredible. Thanks for all the info!!

During the head coach search process after Fry announced he was retiring, several candidates were interviewed for the job.

Its fairly well known that Bob Stoops was one of those interviewed. What is less well known is that during the meeting between Bob Stoops and the 'search committee (Bob Bowlsby and a few others), Bob Stoops told our beloved AD that he wanted the job and he wanted to leave the meeting assured that he had the job. Our AD told him that he would make no such guarantee and wanted to complete the entire interview process before making his decision. Later in the week (may have been within a day or two), Bob Stoops announced he was taking the HC job at Oklahoma.

I bring this up because we had our shot at the Stoops family and ****** it down our leg. Don't think for a second that Bob, Mike or Mark are going to just forget that happened.

Old news...most of us already knew this.

Its fairly well known that Bob Stoops was one of those interviewed. What is less well known is that during the meeting between Bob Stoops and the 'search committee (Bob Bowlsby and a few others), Bob Stoops told our beloved AD that he wanted the job and he wanted to leave the meeting assured that he had the job. Our AD told him that he would make no such guarantee and wanted to complete the entire interview process before making his decision. Later in the week (may have been within a day or two), Bob Stoops announced he was taking the HC job at Oklahoma.

I bring this up because we had our shot at the Stoops family and ****** it down our leg. Don't think for a second that Bob, Mike or Mark are going to just forget that happened.

It’s quite well-known how the interview process went. Don’t act like you had inside information. Bob was told that they had one more person to interview and were going to follow through with that. That’s called keeping your word in case you aren’t aware. Don’t think for a second that Bobby wouldn’t have appreciated that kind of integrity if he had been the LAST candidate to get interviewed. Yet you’re bitter because they didn’t offer the job on the spot to a guy with no HC experience whose only link was having played at Iowa and then been a GA. How could we have possibly been so stupid as to do the due diligence of finding out what a guy with just a strong of a resume had to say?!?! Oh the humanity!

stating the obvious is somewhat hard for many who frequent and post on this board. but you are right on. what would an 8-3 record get you in the modern day big 10/ncaa? certainly not a trip to pasadena........heck, KF couldn't even get that with his 2002 team......

For the most part you're right, but Illinois did go to the 2007 season Rose Bowl with a 9-3 record and was not the Big Ten champion nor co-champ.

I believe Bob Stoops has also home on record how his whole family, sans him, wears their iowa jerseys on Saturdays. Also, he has indicated that he would prefer to Never play against an Iowa team.

I believe Bob Stoops has also home on record how his whole family, sans him, wears their iowa jerseys on Saturdays. Also, he has indicated that he would prefer to Never play against an Iowa team.

Ive never liked Oklahoma, still don't. Im happy for Bob and the success he has had but I will never cheer for Oklahoma. Last week vs ISU I just wanted one side to pound the other. I would love to see Bob coach the Hawks for sure and if it happens I hope KF is moving on to something he wants to move on to. I have my qualms about KF and his style but never would say he needs to be shown the door. Hes done enough to decide if he wants to move on or have it be a professional mutual decision/discussion. I guess a good question could be, does anyone know Bobs NFL dreams? I never hear his name in NFL talk like KF. I have to say if the above is true...his family still wearing black and gold on Saturdays he would take the job someday. With all the success at OK and KFs success it may have indeed been the best way for things to have gone down some 13 years ago......Have to take steps to get to the Stoops :)

Stoops is an arrogant *****. To demand that he be told he has the job during the interview process? I've never played that card before and dont think it would turn out that well if I did. I wonder if KF demanded that, prob not.

Newsflash, the stoops brothers didnt invent football and they aren't the only ones that can coach it. And I would be a lot of coaches could win at Oklahoma, KF included.

Very solid point, but I think a part of success at this level is believing you can and showing the world you believe you can. This does come off as arrogant and KF is no different just listen to him talk in his pressers.

Stoops is an arrogant *****. To demand that he be told he has the job during the interview process? I've never played that card before and dont think it would turn out that well if I did. I wonder if KF demanded that, prob not.

Newsflash, the stoops brothers didnt invent football and they aren't the only ones that can coach it. And I would be a lot of coaches could win at Oklahoma, KF included.

I thought i read that Oklahoma needed to know if he was taking the job right then. If that's true then it wasn't being arrogant as much as not wanting to lose out on both jobs. The way i see it, anyone who wants the Iowa job over the Oklahoma job is alright in my book

I love when people speculate and post comments like they were a fly on the wall during meetings/conversations ... Bob Stoops has been back to Iowa City many times for different charity events, etc. I highly doubt any of them are holding "grudges" against the U of I ...

Latest posts