For those of you that don't remember re: Stoops

LOL @ Duff. Stoops took over an Oklahoma program that had gone 12-22 in the three years prior to him arriving. He has a national championship and several conference championships under his belt. That could have theoretically been Iowa's.

Sure, and if my aunt had a wang she could be plowing your wife, you know, theoretically.

So what......if someone said as much to us during an interview, we'd let him walk for sure. At least until we finished our search and that is what good management does. We got a good coach and so did OU. Although ironically they want him fired for his losses as well, funny how that works.

On a side note, it really is amazing the amount of anguish Iowa fans, or maybe all fans can seemingly muster over not hiring someone whose defenses never lived up to what ours already have. But that’s what being a fan*atic is I guess….

Chad

My experience is that good management typically knows who they want and goes out and gets them.

During the head coach search process after Fry announced he was retiring, several candidates were interviewed for the job.

Its fairly well known that Bob Stoops was one of those interviewed. What is less well known is that during the meeting between Bob Stoops and the 'search committee (Bob Bowlsby and a few others), Bob Stoops told our beloved AD that he wanted the job and he wanted to leave the meeting assured that he had the job. Our AD told him that he would make no such guarantee and wanted to complete the entire interview process before making his decision. Later in the week (may have been within a day or two), Bob Stoops announced he was taking the HC job at Oklahoma.

I bring this up because we had our shot at the Stoops family and ****** it down our leg. Don't think for a second that Bob, Mike or Mark are going to just forget that happened.

Common negotiating tactic at upper levels of management. Stoops likely came to the Iowa interview certain of the Okie offer. If Iowa had said yes on the spot, his price likely would have jumped considerably. If Iowa balked at the number, he still could jump to Okie. No doubt he used the Iowa interview as leverage at Okie.

Stoops simply played the game to win. Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

I can't honestly say whether I think Iowa lost out here. I will say I would take Stoops' record over Kirk's any day.

Last edited:
Common negotiating tactic at upper levels of management. Stoops likely came to the Iowa interview certain of the Okie offer. If Iowa had said yes on the spot, his price likely would have jumped considerably. If Iowa balked at the number, he still could jump to Okie. No doubt he used the Iowa interview as leverage at Okie.

I can't honestly say whether Iowa lost out here. I would take Stoops' record over Kirk's any day.

Oklahoma draws from a completely different talent pool than Iowa, and it's always been that way. Add in their tradition, and it's no doubt Stoops made the right choice.
This horsesh!t about "the Stoops family holds a grudge against Iowa!!" is ridiculous. But then, consider the source.:rolleyes:

LOL @ Duff. Stoops took over an Oklahoma program that had gone 12-22 in the three years prior to him arriving. He has a national championship and several conference championships under his belt. That could have theoretically been Iowa's.
The reason they went 12-22 is because their head coach was John Blake. Blake has a history of being one of the best recruitors (albeit by illegal means) but not a good coach.

There was a very wide gap between the talent on Stoops' first OU team compared to KF's first team.

So your theory is weak.

I saw an interview awhile back where Bob was asked if he would ever want to coach one of his kids. He said he would not want to do that, and would encourage them to go play for Kirk, or his brother out in the desert. If he had a grudge I doubt he would have mentioned Kirk before his own brother, or at all.

I can't honestly say whether I think Iowa lost out here. I will say I would take Stoops' record over Kirk's any day.

Stoops hadn't interviewed with Oklahoma prior to his meeting with Iowa.

Bob Stoops and his family were in the stands or a private box watching the Hawks at the Insight Bowl so yeah he probably holds a hell of a big grudge on Iowa. Bowlsby was not at Iowa when the stoops brothers were so he didnt have that connection.

Bowlsby is gone. I said when this happened that stoops made the right choice to go to OU rather than Iowa just because of the recruits you can get. Stoops just needs to be less aggressive in big games and he might stop blowing some games.

Stoops aggression and Kirk's conservatism mixed might be the perfect combination.

Duff, LOL

The biggest problem with the entire hiring process of Stoop was the search committee. What a joke that was, they take a bunch of people to make things politically correct, including a Quarterback on the team. They interview him and tell him they will think it over and get back to him. I don't blame the guy for telling Iowa to pound sand. Bowlsby was a clown. Bump Elliot and even Pollard at ISU wouldn't throw together some silly ad hoc committee to hire a coach. If I'm the guy running the Athletic Dept. I'm making the decision and not some QB and others telling me who to hire.

Bottom line is we got Ferentz and they got Stoops. I would prefer to have an Iowa guy at the helm but that is not how it turned out and we will pay for it at least until 2020. Lets just pray we keep getting to bowls in the meantime. Love the Bowls and Love March Madness... Its a great time to be alive!

My experience is that good management typically knows who they want and goes out and gets them.

Well I guess I could wax poetic here and provide you examples of what I've seen done and how it worked or I could ask for yours, but is seems futile. Few state entities now just say yeah sure...especially when they are are, well....unsure.

And neither do we or most good companies I've seen.

Chad

Bottom line is we got Ferentz and they got Stoops. I would prefer to have an Iowa guy at the helm but that is not how it turned out and we will pay for it at least until 2020. Lets just pray we keep getting to bowls in the meantime. Love the Bowls and Love March Madness... Its a great time to be alive!

KF is really an Iowa guy wouldn't you say....20 years here now, 8 as a young coach. And we'll pay for it...what's that mean and I suppose you are aware if Stoops left ( just like many of our very "bright" fans would be if KF left)....the would be ecstatic. They are convinced they should have won about 3 more NC's and they can't figure out how he keeps blowing game after game....

Just more of that perspective I keep talking about. That so few people have...

Chad

Stoops hadn't interviewed with Oklahoma prior to his meeting with Iowa.

That is not true, but this is:

"I heard this version of events from someone who had a source on the selection committee and was in the room when Bowlsby interviewed Stoops. This source said that there was some miscommunication with Stoops and he thought he was going to be offered the job then and there.

Bowlsby informed him that this was only an interview. Stoops wasn't happy about that and informed Bowlsby of his offer from OU, which he had interviewed with on the previous Saturday. Stoops apparently needed to give OU an answer but was giving Iowa a chance to make an offer first. Bowlsby again said this was only an interview and he couldn't offer Stoops the job without discussing it with the committee first. Stoops then told Bowlsby that if he got up and walked out of the room without being offered the Iowa job he would accept the OU offer and that would be that. Stoops gave this ultimatum twice before leaving the room but Bowlsby wouldn't budge.

Supposedly if Bowlsby would have relented and offered right there Stoops would have taken the Iowa job. I tend to believe that after Stoops was offered the job at OU he used Iowa as leverage to get a better contract. Bobby could have had the job at Iowa, the selection committee was just a formality and he knew it. I think in reality Bobby Stoops had no interest in coming to Iowa because he knew what a rebuilding job it would be as compared to OU."

Perhaps not officially. But no doubt he had a pretty good idea of where things stood through his agent.

He indeed did have an interview and offer prior to the Iowa interview.

He indeed left the meeting, called OU, re entered and said to thehe just accepted the ou job.

Ferentz was interviewing the next day.

Patterson, long and Allen were already interviewed the previous week (thanks giving week)

Allen had a players only meeting scheduled at 3pm the day after the Ferentz intetview.

Booster outcry occurred (after stoops to OU).

Marv and Mark Jennings (search comm. Members) Put their foot down.

Players only meeting became a I love KU press conference. FWIW KU canned Allen the next season.

Bowlsby hired someone he didn't intend to(Ferentz).

Bowlsby then gripes to Coleman and Rhoads about being constrained by a committee.

A few months later he got his wish...no committee during the BB search. He picked Alford.

Search committee did not prevent hiring Stoopsie. Terry Allen did. search committee averted disaster.

Yes, I how it went down... At that point in life I spoke regularly with Marc, Jennings, members of Fry's staff, a member of the stooped family, and Bob Stools the summer before Fry retired...he was in IC networking with search committee members.

During the head coach search process after Fry announced he was retiring, several candidates were interviewed for the job.

Its fairly well known that Bob Stoops was one of those interviewed. What is less well known is that during the meeting between Bob Stoops and the 'search committee (Bob Bowlsby and a few others), Bob Stoops told our beloved AD that he wanted the job and he wanted to leave the meeting assured that he had the job. Our AD told him that he would make no such guarantee and wanted to complete the entire interview process before making his decision. Later in the week (may have been within a day or two), Bob Stoops announced he was taking the HC job at Oklahoma.

I bring this up because we had our shot at the Stoops family and ****** it down our leg. Don't think for a second that Bob, Mike or Mark are going to just forget that happened.[/QUOTE

That was Bob Bowlsby, not the U of I. Stoops knows that. Bowlsby had his guy and was minutes away from announcing the hire. Lucky for us, some big money donors stepped up prior to Terry Allen being announced as the next head coach at Iowa and squashed the hire.

Last edited:

Latest posts