For the Vandenberg Bashers

RUDDOCK WOULD HAVE THROWN FOR 5000 YARDS AND 55 TD'S AND ONLY 4 INTERCEPTIONS AND HE WOULD HAVE WON THE HEISMAN AND HE WOULD HAVE WON THE DAVEY O BRIEN AWARD AND HE WOULD HAVE WON THE MAXWELL AWARD FIRST TIME A TRUE FRESHMAN DID ALL THAT IN HISTORY. FIRE VANDENBERG WE WANT RUDDOCK!!!

Hey dumb###, you don't fire a QB. Everything else is right on.

a starter as a 4th year JR vs a 3rd year soph, 7-5 for JVB O-1 in A bowl 7-6 overall
Stanzi 6-3 regular season 1-0 1st bowl 7-3 overall
i can sure tell Stanzi is a bad QB compared to JVB
Stanzi soph and jr 18-5 with a Orange bowl win
yup Stanzi was a lousy QB
oh wait the Stanzi haters will give the credit to someone else
only the JVB lovers will continue to talk about his Greatness

What I really enjoy is fellow hawk "Fans" calling our guys names....I mean, that really makes potential recruits want to come to Iowa. JVB is better physically than Stanzi could hope to be. The numbers dont lie. To use the arguement that JVB had McNutt, and thats who made him is nuts. Stanzi had DJK AND McNutt. Tate had Ed Hinkle. Every QB has "Their guy". Stanzi had Greene so I'd say he "Had a running game" and had worse stats by far than JVB when you look at the TD vs INT ratio. So Stanzi had a better running game and a far better defense than JVB and STILL had a worse season.

Secondly, you hate that people call them "kids"? They ARE kids, because at 17 you are a kid and 2 years later your a man? really? Theres not one poster on here that has the skills to play D1 ball, but we all sure can talk a heck of a talk.

McNutt the best reciever in Iowa history? I dont think so....The record books may say so yes.....But the fact is, this year when he actually played against a good corner he didnt produce. Is he a good reciever and a great Hawkeye? Heck yes. I like how you guys use "Stats" to back up your arguement making McNutt the best reciever in Iowa history but when Jon uses the "stat" arguement to say that JVB isnt as bad as you folks say, well then "Stats" do not make you a good QB....But they DO make you the best reciever in Iowa history.

Id actually go as far to say as the recievers were the biggest disapointment this year. We EXPECTED a sub par Iowa defense, we EXPECTED average line play, we EXPECTED JVB to struggle at times, but we EXPECTED the recievers to be outstanding.....Id say that didnt happen, they were average at best. Im not so sure Ive ever seen so many dropped balls in clutch situations in my 20 years of watching hawkeye football.....QB's are going to miss throws, WR's are going to drop balls, RB's are going to miss holes, OL's going to miss blocks, DL's are going to miss tackles as are LB's and DB's are going to give up big plays at times. That IS football....to not understand that, well thats comming from someone that never really played the game....

a starter as a 4th year JR vs a 3rd year soph, 7-5 for JVB O-1 in A bowl 7-6 overall

I have tried to decipher this and failed miserably.

Stanzi's best winning season stats
171-304 attp/comp
56.3 % completion
8.0 yards per attempts
17 TD
15 INT's
131.0 rating

last year as a senior and worst record
221-345
64.1% completion
3004 yards
8.7 yards per attempt
25 TD's
6 INT's
157.6 rating
you want to try and explain who's at fault on how that season ended so badly
he had the same defense that you try to give the 2009 season credit for the wins
so how did he lose all those games
also Stanzi 3-0 in bowl games
JVB O-1 in Bowl games
good to nfl type qb's QB's win
bad QB's lose

Last edited:
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1000035-iowa-hawkeyes-qb-james-vandenberg-deserves-more-respect
I agree with this article.

Stanzi also had one of the best defenses of Ferentz's tenure at Iowa and a running back named Shonn Greene behind him in his first year.

On the other hand, I will concede that Vandenberg had some good WRs, a good RB, and a good OL but he put up solid numbers as Jon eluded to. He also had one of the worst defenses in Ferentz's tenure.

Still, this season IMO was screwed mainly by consistently poor offensive play-calling and a rebuilding defense with some key injuries along the way.

What I really enjoy is fellow hawk "Fans" calling our guys names....I mean, that really makes potential recruits want to come to Iowa. JVB is better physically than Stanzi could hope to be. The numbers dont lie. To use the arguement that JVB had McNutt, and thats who made him is nuts. Stanzi had DJK AND McNutt. Tate had Ed Hinkle. Every QB has "Their guy". Stanzi had Greene so I'd say he "Had a running game" and had worse stats by far than JVB when you look at the TD vs INT ratio. So Stanzi had a better running game and a far better defense than JVB and STILL had a worse season.

Secondly, you hate that people call them "kids"? They ARE kids, because at 17 you are a kid and 2 years later your a man? really? Theres not one poster on here that has the skills to play D1 ball, but we all sure can talk a heck of a talk.

McNutt the best reciever in Iowa history? I dont think so....The record books may say so yes.....But the fact is, this year when he actually played against a good corner he didnt produce. Is he a good reciever and a great Hawkeye? Heck yes. I like how you guys use "Stats" to back up your arguement making McNutt the best reciever in Iowa history but when Jon uses the "stat" arguement to say that JVB isnt as bad as you folks say, well then "Stats" do not make you a good QB....But they DO make you the best reciever in Iowa history.

Id actually go as far to say as the recievers were the biggest disapointment this year. We EXPECTED a sub par Iowa defense, we EXPECTED average line play, we EXPECTED JVB to struggle at times, but we EXPECTED the recievers to be outstanding.....Id say that didnt happen, they were average at best. Im not so sure Ive ever seen so many dropped balls in clutch situations in my 20 years of watching hawkeye football.....QB's are going to miss throws, WR's are going to drop balls, RB's are going to miss holes, OL's going to miss blocks, DL's are going to miss tackles as are LB's and DB's are going to give up big plays at times. That IS football....to not understand that, well thats comming from someone that never really played the game....

Great post +1

This is what amazes me. Adults trying to live vicariously through kids because they weren't good at sports when they were younger.

It's called a game for a reason. It's not life or death.

One of those things he doesn't have that Stanzi had all three of his years as a starter is a Top 20 national defense. Chandler had that too. Tate had that in 2004. Banks had that in 2002.

So you're saying our QB is only as good as our D??? Wow.....RG3 disagrees with you heavily. How many times have you and Deace said that the one position you can't hide in CFB is QB? Get a good QB and the wins will come. JVB isn't good right now, plain and simple.

If Vandenburg doesn't learn how to be comfortable in the pocket, next season will be a long year.

Personally, I don't hold out much hope for him. His problems aren't something you can teach. He didn't improve throughout the season which leads me to believe he is what he is. And what he is isn't good enough to win many games with a mediocre defense.

Iowa averaged 3.9 yards per carry this year. Last year they averaged 4.3.

2002 was the 2nd best rushing defense in Iowa football history

Would you trade last year's rushing O for this year's?

Also, c'mon, were you watching the 02 D? How was that 2002 pass D?

Hes outstanding if you only play Indiana, Louisiana Monroe and Northwestern in Iowa City. Show me a win on the road and him not crapping his pants against a team with a pulse away from IC and Ill give him all of that credit.

One of those things he doesn't have that Stanzi had all three of his years as a starter is a Top 20 national defense. Chandler had that too. Tate had that in 2004. Banks had that in 2002.

Yeah, and next season's D is going to be much worse. And next year's O is going to be worse.

Vandy has got to stop his 'deer in the headlights' behavior while in the pocket. If he can't stop, put him in the shotgun so he can be more comfortable and see the field before the rushers get to him.

IMO, he's not a good QB right now - unless we play Indiana every week.

I'm sorry, I guess I just repeated what others had already said. You guys are geniuses

Last edited:

Latest posts