For the Vandenberg Bashers

I realize he was not up to snuff on the road the his year, and he has to improve on his consistency.

But he threw for over 3000 yards this year, the 4th highest total in a single season in Iowa history...25 touchdowns to 6 interceptions.

The kid has ability...top shelf ability. He just wasn't consistent..and he also had a lot of dropped balls this year. He needs to calm down a bit more on the road.

He has the skill..there is no doubt about that. Now, he has a season of starting under his belt.

Some are acting like he is the second coming of Jake Christensen, which is just not the case.

He definitely has the ability. I don't think anyone would dispute that Jon. But those stats don't mean much if they don't come against the best teams on your schedule. And add to that he is the QB in losses to ISU and Minny, and that is where a lot of criticism is coming from. There doesn't seem to be a "cool customer" factor with JVB, and that is what is most troubling to me. As I said in the chat tonight, I do think the staff would be better served to put JVB in an "up-tempo" mode more often, and out of the shotgun more often. This is where he is most effective, and that is what coaches are supposed to do...put their players in the best position to succeed. JVB is capable yes. But he has to be better in big games, and games on the road.

I am a fan of JVB for several reasons- he has a great arm, doesn't turn the ball over and when he is hot is as good as any college passer. Think back to last season. Iowa lost DJK- one of the best receivers in Iowa history. Mcnutt and who were coming back? Reisner caught 40 passes at least. Iowa had a lot of skill talent issues coming into this season, but assuming Coker will be back, we already know that we have two talented receivers in Davis and KMM. Canzeri wasn't awful tonight and several backs had catches out of the backrfield. The biggest loss of last season was Adam Robinson- he was great at blocking and was a weapon out of the backfield. Going into next season the big question on offense will be offensive line. A lot of talent in the wings regardless of the losses. Given the schedule Iowa faces they should bring a potent offensive attack and Ferentz an company need to lean on their strength, something they seemed to begin to do tonight.

I thought Vandy came out nervous in the first quarter. AFter he settled down he did well. There were a couple of bullets that he threw that reminded me of the OSU 09 game. The4 or5 dropped passes were hard to take.

I think if the OKlahoma player that was off sides running back onto the field to cover Mcnutt on the first drive could have changed the whole complextion of the game. If it would have been called we would have had first and goal from the 4 yard line and probably would have scored. The refs missed that play big time.

About Chandler......Vandy maybe a better passer....but I think Chandler brought more physical tools and was underrated in his one starting year. He showed scrambling ability and could fall forward for a first down and inches (where Vandy seems to get called for off-sides and what not...not all us fault though).

I am hopeful he will improve next year. Right now, it seems like he has very little pocket awareness, can't feel where the pressure is coming from, and gets anxious and scrambles into a defender who was being blocked.

Completely agree with this. JVB is horrible under pressure and even worse when he is on the run. That type of composure isn't necessarily something that can be taught or learned. It's his glaring weakness.

Drew Tate THRIVED under pressure. It was just a natural ability of his. Not so much for JVB.

Jon, he might have great stats, but lets take into account the teams he went against to get them. Pretty soft schedule and his best games were against the softest teams. When he played a tough defense that consistently put pressure on him, he folded pretty badly. When he faced a tough defense on the road, he typically didn't show up at all.

JVB is most likely a very good kid, but he's not a very good QB. I hope he improves and has an awesome year next year, but I have my doubts.

I realize he was not up to snuff on the road the his year, and he has to improve on his consistency.

But he threw for over 3000 yards this year, the 4th highest total in a single season in Iowa history...25 touchdowns to 6 interceptions.

The kid has ability...top shelf ability. He just wasn't consistent..and he also had a lot of dropped balls this year. He needs to calm down a bit more on the road.

He has the skill..there is no doubt about that. Now, he has a season of starting under his belt.

Some are acting like he is the second coming of Jake Christensen, which is just not the case.

Pretty impressive numbers, no? I know we all want everything right now, but give the kid some slack. Who would do better right now?

RUDDOCK WOULD HAVE THROWN FOR 5000 YARDS AND 55 TD'S AND ONLY 4 INTERCEPTIONS AND HE WOULD HAVE WON THE HEISMAN AND HE WOULD HAVE WON THE DAVEY O BRIEN AWARD AND HE WOULD HAVE WON THE MAXWELL AWARD FIRST TIME A TRUE FRESHMAN DID ALL THAT IN HISTORY. FIRE VANDENBERG WE WANT RUDDOCK!!!

Given the schedule Iowa faces they should bring a potent offensive attack and Ferentz an company need to lean on their strength, something they seemed to begin to do tonight.
How many years of evidence do you need? KF/KOK are incapable of producing a potent offense. 2002 was basically the only year they ever did.

Perhaps KF will use another QB when Iowa plays on the road and Vandy will only play at home. But then we all know another QB will have no chance to play next year and with the ultra conservative system that Iowa plays, Iowa will get to go into the 2013 season with a new QB who has had maybe five snaps and all of those snaps were in the first game of the season.

Maybe what Iowa really needs is a new offensive coordinator. Since people are quitting or retiring, might just as well add some more old wood and get rid of KOK and his seven play playbook. But then KF doesn't get rid of his best friends does he.

Or maybe what Iowa needs is just a lot of period...

How? That was an excellent counterpoint. Vandy clearly has the physical skill set. But there are other, more important attributes that he has yet to demonstrate he possesses.

One of those things he doesn't have that Stanzi had all three of his years as a starter is a Top 20 national defense. Chandler had that too. Tate had that in 2004. Banks had that in 2002.

You just made his point even more...
How? That was an excellent counterpoint. Vandy clearly has the physical skill set. But there are other, more important attributes that he has yet to demonstrate he possesses.

That it's not always about skill set. With JVB he has the skill set but yet not between the ears what is needed to slow the game down when facing good teams.
As point was made that Ryan Leaf had the skill set but didn't have it between the ears like Joe Montana. There was a reason his nickname was Joe Cool.

Latest posts