For the Vandenberg Bashers

With our coaching staff, does anyone really feel the least bit confident that JVB will improve next year and utilize this talent we claim he has?!? KOK does not seem to foster talent over the course of a QB's career.

One thing was glaringly obvious last night: we need to upgrade our talent pool big time. We were playing against a lot of OU reserves, as they were INJ plagued. They were far and away more talented than us and I highly doubt Stoops for one second was the least bit worried about Iowa's ability to come back and win the game.

Last edited:
Not a very good QB? Wow shows you know nothing of the position at all...[/QUOT

I'm not comparing him to me. I'm comparing him to very good college QB's. He's not there. If you can't see that, then you know nothing of the position at all....

Go back and look at how Big Ten teams were built in 2002. Most all of them were built to establish a run game and go from there. Teams couldn't run on Iowa, so they were forced to throw. Norm Parker's defense tries to make you one dimensional in its best years. Mission accomplished that year, and most years.

Well, I remember ISU, Penn St., Purdue, and USC throwing the ball all over the field against us, so.... Like I said, that D was serviceable, but it was nothing special. The offense was the dominate unit, and our special teams kicked a$$.

Anyway, your original point was that JVB didn't have a defense (which is debatable, especially the last few games) like Banks and other did. My assumption is that you meant to imply JVB could have been similar in success as Banks if in the same situation. (Ir)regardless of our 2002 D argument, I think this implication is false.

leaders finds way to win
JVB is not a leader
he is a QB with skills, just does not have the confidence of his team like Stanzi did

You can manipulate numbers to fit any scenario you wish to create. You can even make Jake Christensen look "good" with some cherry-picking, just as one can make JVB "appear" to be a better QB than Ricky Stanzi or Drew Tate with number "crunching".

But here are the facts:

--JVB is not a good leader/motivator. The same way WRs used to OPENLY get on Christensen's case, we saw it with WRs being OPENLY frustrated with JVB.

--One can point to Stanzi's high numbers of INTs, pick-6's, etc., say JVB makes better throws and has better numbers (conveniently leaving out that Stanzi's best year, statistically, saw him let down by defensive lapses). Yet, Stanzi had wins over Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Georgia Tech, Arizona, South Carolina, Missouri. JVB has Stanzi beat in that he has beaten NW (Stanzi never did, although he left with a lead, followed by a JVB INT that lead to a NW lead-taking drive). Then again, Jake beat NW. Stanzi also had two wins over Wisconsin. I shudder at the the thought of JVB playing Wisconsin anywhere other than Kinnick Stadium. And even Kinnick wouldn't make me all that comfortable.

--It's hard to argue JVBs great effort in the comeback win against Pitt. But for special teams, missed kicks and a pick-6 off McNutt's hands, Stanzi had a pretty good comeback in the works ON THE ROAD against Arizona.

--One can point to JVB having receivers drop balls. Hello. Name a QB that never had to deal with that? DJK routinely quit on routes, both with Stanzi and Jake. Even Jake had to deal with player loss in the form of Douglas and Bowman. That stuff happens.

In short, Stanzi won. Sure, he had SG, but he also won with two freshman RBs, as well as the mercifully-short-lived Paki experiment. JVB walked into this season with Coker and McNutt. Did he need more? Maybe. Herman and Z Derby certainly didn't set the college football world on fire. Again, what Iowa QB hasn't had those issues?

JVB, W-L wise, "quality win"wise and, most importantly, poise-wise, is not in the league of Stanzi, Tate, Nate Chandler, Brad Banks, et. al.

He has the skills. Lots of guys arrive at school with that. He's had two years to "learn" behind Stanzi. He has some more learning to do.

Those are not FACTS hater, those are nothing more than your opinion as even as shallow as it is. That is the truth...and that is a FACT.

One thing about JVB that has bugged me all season and I wonder if it plays into all the dropped balls by our receivers. What has bugged me is that all short to intermediate passes out of his hands are on a downward plane. I am not talking about the deep ball because I think he throws a nice deep ball but when he has to really put some zip on it, the ball always seems to be heading straight into the group.

As a receiver I think that would be tougher to catch than a pass with the nose of the ball more parallel to the ground. Anyone notice that too?

This is not a complete excuse for the receivers especially the passes that hit them between the numbers but I do see them having to reach down for alot of passes.

Also, I really have no reason whatsoever to believe he'll get much better next year.

He didn't get any better from the beginning to the end of this season, and he's going to lose his best target in McNutt.

Not to mention, IMO, with KOK as QB coach, QBs at Iowa just do not improve a whole lot.

The fact that Iowa's offenses are routinely bad, regardless of the quality of the players, says a lot, as well.

Last edited:
You know who else had top shelf ability? JaMarcus Russel.... Just cause you have a power arm doesn't make you a good QB. JVB will fall between Jake C. & Nathan Chandler of KF QB's.... He's 8-8 in games he played the majority of, and only one road game win.

Time to face the facts, JVB sucks. Sadest thing is I have another year to watch this god awful QB.

oh wait the Stanzi haters will give the credit to someone else
only the JVB lovers will continue to talk about his Greatness
You don't have to be a Stanzi hater to see he wasn't winning those games. Look at a game like the 2009 game at Penn State...Stanzi was terrible in that game (worse than JVB was this year, actually), but because he got 160 rushing yards out of A-Rob/Wegher, AC blocked the punt and returned it for a TD, and the defense made Darryl Clark look like a JV quarterback, Stanzi gets another win in his belt as a starting QB. That's why his record as a starter is overblown...you simply can't overlook the fact that he had Shonn Greene and two of the best defenses (2008 and 2009) in recent memory.

James was great....against the weaker part of our schedule. Against the 4 non bowl teams Iowa played he was 62-93 919 yards 10 TD's 0 INT's. His numbers are pretty pedestrian against the better teams, and heck that includes teams with crappy defenses like Purdue and NW.

You don't have to be a Stanzi hater to see he wasn't winning those games. Look at a game like the 2009 game at Penn State...Stanzi was terrible in that game (worse than JVB was this year, actually), but because he got 160 rushing yards out of A-Rob/Wegher, AC blocked the punt and returned it for a TD, and the defense made Darryl Clark look like a JV quarterback, Stanzi gets another win in his belt as a starting QB. That's why his record as a starter is overblown...you simply can't overlook the fact that he had Shonn Greene and two of the best defenses (2008 and 2009) in recent memory.

correct,
additionally, how did having all that "moxi" and confidence work for him in the clutch during all those 2010 losses?

I like Stanzi, Stanzi was good, but the degree to which he is over-rated by people who claim to know what they are talking about is astounding.

I rank our QB's that started under KF as such:

1: Banks
2: Tate
3: Stanzi
4: Chandler
5: McCann
6: Vandenberg
7: Mullen
8: Christiansen

He's a nice player, but he has a lot of room for improvement. I don't think he's as bad as some think, nor do I think he's as good as some think. Last night was a snapshot of his play. He killed Iowa in the first half, then made them competitive in the second half. Not all on him, of course, but indicative of the team's play this year. Hence, their record.

Citing to statistics is not a measure of success. Wins, alone, are the measure of success. Right now, his record as a starter is 8-7.

I am a fan of JVB for several reasons- he has a great arm, doesn't turn the ball over and when he is hot is as good as any college passer. Think back to last season. Iowa lost DJK- one of the best receivers in Iowa history. Mcnutt and who were coming back? Reisner caught 40 passes at least. Iowa had a lot of skill talent issues coming into this season, but assuming Coker will be back, we already know that we have two talented receivers in Davis and KMM. Canzeri wasn't awful tonight and several backs had catches out of the backrfield. The biggest loss of last season was Adam Robinson- he was great at blocking and was a weapon out of the backfield. Going into next season the big question on offense will be offensive line. A lot of talent in the wings regardless of the losses. Given the schedule Iowa faces they should bring a potent offensive attack and Ferentz an company need to lean on their strength, something they seemed to begin to do tonight.

Spudhawk really thinks Iowa will have a potent offense next year. Not sure what he has been watching. I seems to have very good offensive players but points on the board-wise most times this offense underperforms. Low third down conversion percentages and no imagination. It is ok to have this strong running game but we need some imagination and better effiiciency in the passing game.

I hope you are right that we have even a top 40 offense. We could use a top 20 offense for a change.

When you look at the schedule for next season and what each defense loses Iowa's offense should be able to average 30 points per game. Personally I feel that Vandenberg will grow from this season. He is a smart kid, from all accounts works hard and had Stanzi as a mentor to help him understand film prep. Next season will really be all on the offensive line. I am confident they will be good.

Be ranked as a high passer in Iowa football history isnt that impressive of a compliment which great passers are you comparing him to ? This day in age throwing for 3000 yards isnt mind blowing at all.

A good reason he was better at home was our nice easy home schedule the offensive scheme is old boring Iowa needs a qb coach and OC that can get kids in rhythm and adjust to defenses.

I rank our QB's that started under KF as such:1: Banks2: Tate3: Stanzi4: Chandler5: McCann6: Vandenberg7: Mullen8: Christiansen

I mean this is just silly. JVB is going to have his name called on draft day, dudes going to make an NFL roster and you have him behind Mccann and Chandler....

I realize he was not up to snuff on the road the his year, and he has to improve on his consistency.

But he threw for over 3000 yards this year, the 4th highest total in a single season in Iowa history...25 touchdowns to 6 interceptions.

The kid has ability...top shelf ability. He just wasn't consistent..and he also had a lot of dropped balls this year. He needs to calm down a bit more on the road.

He has the skill..there is no doubt about that. Now, he has a season of starting under his belt.

Some are acting like he is the second coming of Jake Christensen, which is just not the case.

Not all his fault. His receivers dropped catchable balls Davis dropped at least 4-5, that had he hung on to, could have made a difference in the game. I am not down on vandy at all.

I realize he was not up to snuff on the road the his year, and he has to improve on his consistency.

But he threw for over 3000 yards this year, the 4th highest total in a single season in Iowa history...25 touchdowns to 6 interceptions.

The kid has ability...top shelf ability. He just wasn't consistent..and he also had a lot of dropped balls this year. He needs to calm down a bit more on the road.

He has the skill..there is no doubt about that. Now, he has a season of starting under his belt.

Some are acting like he is the second coming of Jake Christensen, which is just not the case.

I'll take his junior year over Stanzi's. Stanzi lead us back in a number of games but he had a top 10 defense and strong special teams that was keeping us in games while he threw "pick 6's". Vandenberg, really didn't have terrible games he simply looked shaky at times, but played generally well. I'm hoping that JVB has a similar jump in improvement from his junior to senior year like "Love it or leave it" Ricky had.

My concerns and expectations about next season.

OL-I expect this unit will be about the same. A B/B+ group, higher if Reiff surprises and comes back. This is a squad that KF and staff have been stock piling talent. In terms of recruiting hype(usually justified on the OL) the young talent here probably is the best it's been under Ferentz.

QB-I expect Vandenberg will be better in the upcoming season, maybe much better. Iowa is a developmental program and that certainly holds true for the QB's who tend to be their best as seniors.

RB-I expect and hope Coker comes back and new (four stars?) recruits and the returning muscled up freshman add valuable depth here. This group with Coker is probably at least a B+.

TE-Have to have better production here and I think CJF will provide much of it. He really made strides in his blocking and overall approach and dedication to the game this year. More is needed but he's as talented a TE as we've had since Clark. Derby should be an adequate back up, and Zack Hamilton could be the next star TE at Iowa.

WR's-some concern in losing McNutt, but Davis should grow into "the-go-to-guy" like McNutt did and I like KMM. Some decent depth guys should be available. Not seeing real game breakers unless they come from the true freshman ranks. The TE will get a lot more receptions next year.

Overall, even without Reiff I expect the offense to be better. More experience for a QB is invaluable, and my guess is that the jinx on Iowa RB's is broken with Coker positioned to have a Shonn Greene like junior elig. year.

Defensively a lot more question marks.

DL-A scary year. This unit could be really bad, I guess the good news is most of the year Mike Daniel was hurt and so even with a lot of youth playing early the DL's production won't likely be significant drop off from what we had most of this year(*fingers crossed*). The good news here is that we have AT LEAST one redshirt freshmen four star DT(Cooper) and two true freshmen four stars in Faith E. and JJ. So, we'll likely have a serious influx of RAW talent. Hopefully Alvis is back and takes a step forward. He seemed to settle in to that DE spot when he was injured.

LB-I feel good about where we're at here. The weakest aspect of this group is a lack of size and that Mr. Doyle can take care of. Kirksey, and Morris look very solid and Hitchens played pretty well in relief. I think this group is a little stronger next year.

DB-The loss of Berstein and Prater hurts. I like BJ Lowery but he won't likely be all-conference right out of the starting gate. We need Law to step up and Hyde to take a leadership role. I like the young talent we've recruited the last two years here but expect some drop off.

My guess is this team overall is a little better than 2011. About the same as the team finished with one defense this year, but better offensively. A senior QB is a very good thing. Without breaking down the schedule I'd think we'll go around 8-4 pre-bowl. Similar, but better than this year, and a year away from being a BCS bowl contender in 2013.

Latest posts