For everyone who said McCabe brought nothing..

Just so we are clear, people think that McCabe will be unseated from the starting lineup next year by a true freshman?

I guess I'll give some of you the benefit of the doubt, we haven't seen many players stick around and improve over the last three years because they usually transfer prior to their Jr year.

McCabe will continue to get better. We've seen the top side, next year he should display that on a much more consistent basis.

Dude, I'm a McCabe guy relax. Just bustin' your chops.

Just so we are clear, people think that McCabe will be unseated from the starting lineup next year by a true freshman?

I guess I'll give some of you the benefit of the doubt, we haven't seen many players stick around and improve over the last three years because they usually transfer prior to their Jr year.

McCabe will continue to get better. We've seen the top side, next year he should display that on a much more consistent basis.

I can see it happening his senior year if Woodbury comes along well. But I don't see Woodbury starting next year unless he's just all-world. Odds are he would be better off coming off the bench as a freshman, at least.

If McCabe is starting and playing starter minutes over the next 2 years then Iowa is in trouble. The kid has had one good game (we lost to a Purdure team we should have beaten) and couple of other decent ones the entire year. How do you forget about all his horrible decisions and play from past games? He's like a black hole when he gets the ball anywhere near the lane. He has ZERO athletic abilty, he's slow and he's 6'7" and plays like he's 6'2". He's an extremely poor man's Jess Settles, no disrespect to Settles. I've never seen a player get his shot blocked so many times. I've never seen so many posts by Kool-Aid drinkers. I really want to like McCabe but he's nothing more than a role player off the bench. You people act like he's Greg Brunner. I know he's an Iowa boy, he plays hard, he gives a 100%, etc and people want to cheer him on because of that but most of these posts aren't rational. People want to rip the Basabe fans from last year but at least he looked good for an entire season as opposed to two games like McCabe.

Last edited:
If McCabe is starting and playing starter minutes over the next 2 years then Iowa is in trouble. The kid has had one good game (we lost to a Purdure team we should have beaten) and couple of other decent ones the entire year. How do you forget about all his horrible decisions and play from past games? He's like a black hole when he gets the ball anywhere near the lane. He has ZERO athletic abilty, he's slow and he's 6'7" and plays like he's 6'2". He's an extremely poor man's Jess Settles, no disrespect to Settles. I've never seen a player get his shot blocked so many times. I've never seen so many post by Kool-Aid drinkers. I really want to like McCabe but he's nothing more than a role player off the bench. You people act like he's Greg Brunner. I know he's an Iowa boy, he plays hard, he gives a 100%, etc and people want to cheer him on because of that but most of these posts aren't rationale. People want to rip the Basabe fans from last year but at least he looked good for an entire season as opposed to two games like McCabe.

If you think McCabe has only looked good in two games, you haven't been paying attention.

FFWD to 2:27 on this video that I shot - McCabe is willing to do whatever the staff needs him to do and he has the drive and intensity to do it...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=199HHRrPy4s"]MBB: Iowa at Minnesota - Zach McCabe Post Game - YouTube[/ame]

I like that the refs let him play during the PU game, in games past he would have been on the bench after 4 minutes. When he is allowed to play aggressive, he is very effective even though he is undersized at the 5.

Can you give me some of your Kool-Aid to wash that sandwich down?

Is he all-Big Ten? Certainly not. But he has value, and to suggest otherwise (and the people who have are the ones Duff was calling out) is foolish.

Is he all-Big Ten? Certainly not. But he has value, and to suggest otherwise (and the people who have are the ones Duff was calling out) is foolish.
He can be an All B1G hm at some point in his career. He'll be a guy that played significant minutes for all four years at a high major school. That's worth something.

Zach might be starting next year for a lot of reasons, including Experience and Toughness. He is turning into a threat around the basket, and usually scores at the beginning of the game. He rebounds, hustles like Aaron White, and has seemingly cured his tendency to acquire fouls like Worley.....

Some players are better off the bench rather than starting. In Fran's system I don't think there is that much discord concerning who starts. The team knows that in Fran's system all worthy contributors will get playing time. Cartwright is certainly better coming off the bench this season. Basabe can be very good at the beginning of the game, sometimes doing most of his scoring in the first ten minutes.

If he doesn't start next season, I am fairly certain that he will get the same amount of playing time. His tough attitude provides a steadying influence while he is on the floor, something missing early this season, just like Jaryd Cole.....

All that said, Matt Gatens is providing leadership and outstanding floor play and D that has been an essential cog in the works during conference play.....

All comments discount the Ohio State and Michigan State games.....

:)

If McCabe is starting and playing starter minutes over the next 2 years then Iowa is in trouble. The kid has had one good game (we lost to a Purdure team we should have beaten) and couple of other decent ones the entire year. How do you forget about all his horrible decisions and play from past games? He's like a black hole when he gets the ball anywhere near the lane. He has ZERO athletic abilty, he's slow and he's 6'7" and plays like he's 6'2". He's an extremely poor man's Jess Settles, no disrespect to Settles. I've never seen a player get his shot blocked so many times. I've never seen so many posts by Kool-Aid drinkers. I really want to like McCabe but he's nothing more than a role player off the bench. You people act like he's Greg Brunner. I know he's an Iowa boy, he plays hard, he gives a 100%, etc and people want to cheer him on because of that but most of these posts aren't rational. People want to rip the Basabe fans from last year but at least he looked good for an entire season as opposed to two games like McCabe.

What games have you watched? Seriously, you just gave a description that is in no way accurate.

I can't think of any time off hand that Zach has gotten his shot blocked. Im sure its happened but its certainly not a frequent occurrence.

Maybe you are thinking of Gatens, he gets blocked an almost unbelievable amount of times.

McCabe gets his shots off quite well down low and makes a very good percentage.

Yes he is an undersized, fairly unathletic 4 but he makes up for it very well with good skills and physicality. Not to mention he can knock down threes.

Yes ideally he would be a role player on a good team but he is just the kind of role player you need to be successful.

McCabe is the most improved player on this team from last year, and that says allot considering how much Marble has improved.

... and there were a fair amount of you, how does that sh!burger taste?

Been off-line the last due to computer issues and traveling... but I was going to start a similiar thread indicating the exact same thing.

Good job, Zach!

I can see it happening his senior year if Woodbury comes along well. But I don't see Woodbury starting next year unless he's just all-world. Odds are he would be better off coming off the bench as a freshman, at least.

I really hope you are wrong about this as Iowa will desperately need him to step up next year and start at Center. Normally I would never say this about an incoming freshman but Iowa desperately needs a true center and I would not be surprised to see Meyer come in and play significant minutes either.

What games have you watched? Seriously, you just gave a description that is in no way accurate.

I can't think of any time off hand that Zach has gotten his shot blocked. Im sure its happened but its certainly not a frequent occurrence.

Maybe you are thinking of Gatens, he gets blocked an almost unbelievable amount of times.

McCabe gets his shots off quite well down low and makes a very good percentage.

Yes he is an undersized, fairly unathletic 4 but he makes up for it very well with good skills and physicality. Not to mention he can knock down threes.

Yes ideally he would be a role player on a good team but he is just the kind of role player you need to be successful.

McCabe is the most improved player on this team from last year, and that says allot considering how much Marble has improved.

Seriously....you make comments like that and you question whether I have been watching the games??? Most improved player on the team? That has to be a joke. That goes to Marble and it's not even close. End of story.

You McCabe lovers want to say how good he is and then you end up describing something close to the exact player that I said he was. He's a role player that needs to be coming off the bench. I'd love to see a hockey-like +/- breakdown on him.

Gotta disagree here actually. Woodbury needs to start next year for defensive purposes alone.

Unless something changes the last few weeks of this season I would love to see:

PG: Gesell
SG: Marble
SF: White
PF: McCabe
C: Woodbury

Basabe, Meyer, May, Oglesby, Gabe, Clemmons, Ingram available off the bench. That is the most depth Iowa has had in a very long time.

Gotta disagree here actually. Woodbury needs to start next year for defensive purposes alone.

Unless something changes the last few weeks of this season I would love to see:

PG: Gesell
SG: Marble
SF: White
PF: McCabe
C: Woodbury

Basabe, Meyer, May, Oglesby, Gabe, Clemmons, Ingram available off the bench. That is the most depth Iowa has had in a very long time.

I agree with everything about this post minus McCabe at PF (shocker). Basabe has to be the starting 4 man. McCabe is a 2 in a bad 3 or 4 player's body. Basabe is a good 4 and he should that last year with Cole playing the 5. This year he's had to play the 5 and has struggled. I hope, for Iowa's sake, the talk of Basabe being hurt is true. I would hate to think he's digressed that much from last year.

I agree with everything about this post minus McCabe at PF (shocker). Basabe has to be the starting 4 man. McCabe is a 2 in a bad 3 or 4 player's body. Basabe is a good 4 and he should that last year with Cole playing the 5. This year he's had to play the 5 and has struggled. I hope, for Iowa's sake, the talk of Basabe being hurt is true. I would hate to think he's digressed that much from last year.
Actually I think McCabe plays the 5 and has shown more than Basabe has all year. However, I don't care who starts and who comes off the bench as they will be a good sub and production won't drop off much eiterh way.

Seriously....you make comments like that and you question whether I have been watching the games??? Most improved player on the team? That has to be a joke. That goes to Marble and it's not even close. End of story.

You McCabe lovers want to say how good he is and then you end up describing something close to the exact player that I said he was. He's a role player that needs to be coming off the bench. I'd love to see a hockey-like +/- breakdown on him.

Your problem is your arguemnts against McCabes game are absolute horsesh!t. You say he can't get a shot off yet he's shooting over 50% from the field.

He's a role player and shouldn't start. Scotty Pippen was a role player for most of his career and he's in the ******* HOF.

He's a poor man Jess Settles. So what? Jess was an NBA talent before his degenerative back condition ended his career.

Everything that comes out of your mouth is horse ****.

Basabe has not played the 5 this year, McCabe has. And why can McCabe improve so much over last year minus the help of a true big man but Basabe is a shell of the player he was last year?

McCabe has showed he deserves to get more PT this year than Mel. Although there is still a lot of season left for Basabe to turn it around.

Latest posts