Fire Levar Woods

Oh, good. We have just added another name to the long list of people who should be fired! As soon as our entire coaching staff, the AD, and the University President are sent down the road, we will then have a winning football team. Thanks for the great advice! I am so impressed by people who have never played, coached, administrated, done HR work, but can still solve our inability to win lots of football games with the stroke of a pen.

Oh, good. We have just added another name to the long list of people who should be fired! As soon as our entire coaching staff, the AD, and the University President are sent down the road, we will then have a winning football team. Thanks for the great advice! I am so impressed by people who have never played, coached, administrated, done HR work, but can still solve our inability to win lots of football games with the stroke of a pen.
You want to know a difference between Iowa and Wisconsin? Wisconsin will fire underperforming coaches if they suck. Remember 2012? Here's a little story to refresh your recollection: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...dgers-fire-offensive-line-coach-mike-markuson

That team went on to hang 70 on Nebraska in the B1G title game and went to the Rose Bowl.

It all starts at the top, you know where the HC gifted his SON the OC job when he wasn't ready for it at all......and should never even been considered for it...yeah that is the bs they allow to happen at the coach with the most losses in Iowa history....

It all starts at the top, you know where the HC gifted his SON the OC job when he wasn't ready for it at all......and should never even been considered for it...yeah that is the bs they allow to happen at the coach with the most losses in Iowa history....

B. Ferentz wasn't gifted anything. He coached for the Patriots--does Kirk have any connections with the Patriots? No. He coached O-Line at Iowa. Does Kirk have any connections with the Iowa O-Line? No. He fought off many other quality candidates to win the OC position. Was the hiring process completely impartial? Of course! This is Iowa afterall. Give Brian a break, he's earned it.

B. Ferentz wasn't gifted anything. He coached for the Patriots--does Kirk have any connections with the Patriots? No. He coached O-Line at Iowa. Does Kirk have any connections with the Iowa O-Line? No. He fought off many other quality candidates to win the OC position. Was the hiring process completely impartial? Of course! This is Iowa afterall. Give Brian a break, he's earned it.
Ferentz coached O line at Cleveland under Belichick around 1993-94. He may not have connections with the Patriots but he has a long connection with Belichick.

You sound an awful lot like @HuckFinn and I'm not talking about your username.
Don't you agree, @RobHowe ?

Ferentz coached O line at Cleveland under Belichick around 1993-94. He may not have connections with the Patriots but he has a long connection with Belichick.
That is a pure coincidence. Belichick probably doesn't even remember Ferentz. Football coach hiring is the ultimate meritocracy.

and who put those guys on special teams when they can barely score double digits on an IQ test? If you hold Brian Ferentz responsible for his shitty offense the first two weeks and last year aside from OSU then Woods is to blame.

That's ridiculous. The kids at Iowa are plenty smart. Smart kids make mistakes in the heat of competition too. Look no further than the Ivy League or Northwestern for proof.

Beyer's play was just a lack of situational awareness. It was by far the most dumbfounding and maddening mistake of the game. It definitely stands out like a sore thumb, but Beyer is not stupid because of it. Yes even I could not stop myself from calling him a dumb ass during the game, but not after rational thought was resumed.

G-wig isn't stupid either they just need to focus on those ball security drills with him. I bet you he doesn't fumble another return his whole career barring a situation where he gets absolutely smoked. Hard to blame a guy if he drops a ball when getting hit by a truck.

I am not defending a particular coach, but I will say this...

Special teams coaches get sloppy seconds...

Aside from the returner, kicker, and punter, special teams players are made up of kids who couldn't make the offense or defense. It really is as simple as that. I get your point if he didn't choose the right kids from a given group, but there has to be an expectation that if you're a B1G player (or any P5 player) you have the basics down. I coach youth baseball as well as what I'd call a successful varsity team (yes, @HawkGold , I'm a coach, even though you didn't think so) and I run across kids all the time who don't know what an opposite field hit is, or why they should jump on a 3-1 pitch...

These are things that just have to come with the territory and I don't think a guy like Woods should be expected to concern himself with teaching players what to do in 101 situations. If he flops on recruiting, then yep, I'm on the same page as you.

Ya I don't blame Woods. The return blocking has been pretty good this year. Maybe too good when kids are still trying to block when everyone else is standing around. I do however have some concerns about the place kick blocking. If a blocked kick issue arises again this season I will be putting that on Woods.

This isn't on the coach.

Look, I played ball for seven years.
It was taught in 7th grade #1--hang onto the football with both hands when you're going to get hit, and #2--stay AWAY from a bouncing punt (if you're the receiving team).

A fumble I can see. Funny things happen with an odd shaped ball.
But being anywhere's near a punt return is stupid and it's on the player. Period.

Y'know what, honestly curious. What major fuckups has he had recently?

As a current coach, I do understand how hard it is to get kids to actually LISTEN.

That's not an excuse in major college sports. If a coach can't get young men and women to listen or get to them, they're out. You don't get the "Well, they are just kids.". It's a high $$ business and donors are involved.

The punt receiving team did not have a good night. The fumble, the fair catch at the 3, the foot off the ball. They picked a bad game to have a bad game. Of course blame will be cast at Woods for this, and he should take some heat for it, it's his unit that made the multiple mental/physical errors, but I disagree he should lose his job over this, at least, not yet.

It wasn't Woods' goddamn fault; Jesus...

The mistakes the Hawkeyes made on ST were ALL elementary stuff. It was 101.

The best way I can describe it would be a 20 year old not being able to tie his shoes. That's how fucking stupid they were. If Groeneweg and Beyer can't tie their shoes then they need to get shipped out...plain and simple. This isn't intramural, feel-good, everyone plays to be fair--ball.

I'd call it recruiting or depth mistakes, not coaching.

Do we expect Phil Parker to explain to his guys that you can't cross the line of scrimmage until the other team snaps the ball, or Brian to have to explain to his players that they can't tackle defensive lineman??? Because that's how fundamental this shit is. It's the B1G for F's sake...put your big boy shoes on and play ball.

Ironically, the above bold all goes back to coaching or a coaches decision. The players are representing the coaches so if the players are messing up, unfortunately, it goes back to the coaches for not preparing them.

As a coach, I can tell you that when my players make a lot of fundamental mistakes...it always comes down to the fact that we haven't been spending enough practice time on the fundamentals. I took responsibility for that lapse and made the changes in practice.

Yes. My thought is if it's an occasional aberrant play then one could say that's on the player, but if there are multiple bad plays by multiple players you are responsible, then it's on the coach.

The guy returning punts for us is a Division 2 football player. There is a reason he was a division 2 football player. He is our punt returner, let that sink in.

The guy is a good player and has proven can compete at this level. Sometimes players are playing lower division for reasons other than just their ability.

Many of these guys are still maturing during their playing years and some excel at a fast pace and mature.

Exactly, you have to know where you are on the field and where the ball is and stay the hell away. Shouldn't have been near it.
Coaches get heat for that. It has to be grilled into the players heads. Groeneweg should have ran up and tackled him when he saw he was backing into it.... He may or may not have been yelling for him to get away or whatever but when you can see he's got his back to it and don't know exactly where it's at it'd have been the most heads up play ever to have done to physically go hit him from behind and push him away before he came up on that ball. There's no reason to block anyone if your Beyer once that ball had started bouncing...

The punt receiving team did not have a good night. The fumble, the fair catch at the 3, the foot off the ball. They picked a bad game to have a bad game. Of course blame will be cast at Woods for this, and he should take some heat for it, it's his unit that made the multiple mental/physical errors, but I disagree he should lose his job over this, at least, not yet.

^This^.

It was a bad game but not quite to the level of "systemic" yet, but, eyes will be on the S/T units and coach.

Yep, just fire them is the answer. NOT!

Latest posts