Fire Levar Woods

Y'know what, honestly curious. What major fuckups has he had recently?

As a current coach, I do understand how hard it is to get kids to actually LISTEN.

Y'know what, honestly curious. What major fuckups has he had recently?

As a current coach, I do understand how hard it is to get kids to actually LISTEN.

then get a coach in there who can get them to listen or they will have their scholarship yanked.

punting last year. Punt returns last year. This total fucking pooch screw that cost Iowa the division title.
Ok you're right, punting last year was abysmal. PR this year tho? Groeneweg has a decent return taken back due to penalty and 1 fumble. Woods is in charge of them, but last I checked, he doesn't block OR hold the ball for either of them.

I never understood why the guy that had been coaching just the outside LBs didn't start coaching all the LBs after Reid went to BC. I mean Woods was a LB and seemed to have been groomed for it. Now he's our special teams coach.... Well today sure as hell wasn't his finest hour at that. Their were other parts of the game that messed up too but geez he's been less then bad this year overall that's for sure

It wasn't Woods' goddamn fault; Jesus...

The mistakes the Hawkeyes made on ST were ALL elementary stuff. It was 101.

The best way I can describe it would be a 20 year old not being able to tie his shoes. That's how fucking stupid they were. If Groeneweg and Beyer can't tie their shoes then they need to get shipped out...plain and simple. This isn't intramural, feel-good, everyone plays to be fair--ball.

I'd call it recruiting or depth mistakes, not coaching.

Do we expect Phil Parker to explain to his guys that you can't cross the line of scrimmage until the other team snaps the ball, or Brian to have to explain to his players that they can't tackle defensive lineman??? Because that's how fundamental this shit is. It's the B1G for F's sake...put your big boy shoes on and play ball.

The best way I can describe it would be a 20 year old not being able to tie his shoes. That's how fucking stupid they were. If Groeneweg and Beyer can't tie their shoes then they need to get shipped out...plain and simple. This isn't intramural, feel-good, everyone plays to be fair--ball.

and who put those guys on special teams when they can barely score double digits on an IQ test? If you hold Brian Ferentz responsible for his shitty offense the first two weeks and last year aside from OSU then Woods is to blame.

and who put those guys on special teams when they can barely score double digits on an IQ test? If you hold Brian Ferentz responsible for his shitty offense the first two weeks and last year aside from OSU then Woods is to blame.
Yup Beyer shouldn't have been within 10 yards of that bouncing ball frankly..

I am not defending a particular coach, but I will say this...

Special teams coaches get sloppy seconds...

Aside from the returner, kicker, and punter, special teams players are made up of kids who couldn't make the offense or defense. It really is as simple as that. I get your point if he didn't choose the right kids from a given group, but there has to be an expectation that if you're a B1G player (or any P5 player) you have the basics down. I coach youth baseball as well as what I'd call a successful varsity team (yes, @HawkGold , I'm a coach, even though you didn't think so) and I run across kids all the time who don't know what an opposite field hit is, or why they should jump on a 3-1 pitch...

These are things that just have to come with the territory and I don't think a guy like Woods should be expected to concern himself with teaching players what to do in 101 situations. If he flops on recruiting, then yep, I'm on the same page as you.

Ok you're right, punting last year was abysmal. PR this year tho? Groeneweg has a decent return taken back due to penalty and 1 fumble. Woods is in charge of them, but last I checked, he doesn't block OR hold the ball for either of them.
Finally somebody who gets it...

Aside from the returner, kicker, and punter, special teams players are made up of kids who couldn't make the offense or defense. It really is as simple as that. I get your point if he didn't choose the right kids from a given group, but there has to be an expectation that if you're a B1G player (or any P5 player) you have the basics down. I coach youth baseball as well as what I'd call a successful varsity team (yes, @HawkGold , I'm a coach, even though you didn't think so) and I run across kids all the time who don't know what an opposite field hit is, or why they should jump on a 3-1 pitch...

These are things that just have to come with the territory and I don't think a guy like Woods should be expected to concern himself with teaching players what to do in 101 situations. If he flops on recruiting, then yep, I'm on the same page as you.

I don't think I've ever questioned your analysis. I question your delivery. I would say you don't get into spots psychology as much. I react sometimes to your insults to others mostly and also at times towards myself. The latter skill is your most oft used skill, but you at times do tone it down. Seems we agree on opposite field and 3-1.

I'd call it recruiting or depth mistakes, not coaching.

Do we expect Phil Parker to explain to his guys that you can't cross the line of scrimmage until the other team snaps the ball, or Brian to have to explain to his players that they can't tackle defensive lineman??? Because that's how fundamental this shit is. It's the B1G for F's sake...put your big boy shoes on and play ball.
As a coach, I can tell you that when my players make a lot of fundamental mistakes...it always comes down to the fact that we haven't been spending enough practice time on the fundamentals. I took responsibility for that lapse and made the changes in practice.

As a coach, I can tell you that when my players make a lot of fundamental mistakes...it always comes down to the fact that we haven't been spending enough practice time on the fundamentals. I took responsibility for that lapse and made the changes in practice.
finally someone who gets it

The guy returning punts for us is a Division 2 football player. There is a reason he was a division 2 football player. He is our punt returner, let that sink in.