Fire Kirk

Lol. Mr. Davis’s situation was eerily similar to kirk right now. Couldn’t recruit, finding it hard to get assistants, conference got better and he wasn’t keeping top talent home. Non conference schedules were awful. I’m not a big fran guy but he’s been at least the equivalent of Mr. Davis his last several years…take away the late postseason run with emotion his last year. Alford was still learning but wasn’t a total disaster
Funny., think if Fran had some defense and Kirk had some offense where both programs would be. Talk about two different sports with opposite glaring issues creating the same headaches to us fans.

In all honesty the division fell off an absolute cliff. I think the frustration is the extent to which it has become apparent how big of a gulf there is now between Iowa and the big dogs. Back in the day we could hang with the big dogs, but dropped a bunch of games to turds. He's tightened up against the turds, but is a mile behind the big boys now.
I don't disagree that the West stunk for a decade and KF benefitted from that. That has been discussed ad nauseum. That said, KF took advantage of his situation better than the other 6 teams in the division. He also dominated an ISU program during this time period that was competitive in the Little 12. He played the schedule in front of him and did better than his peers.

The question is who is best situated to get Iowa to the next level--a level where there is not such a gap with Michigan and OSU? KF with a dominant D and STs and with a new OC, or random replacement Coach McGee?

WHEN Iowa has had competent QB play and competent offense as a whole, Iowa has been competitive with the big boys. So, I have more faith in KF stumbling into a competent OC than rolling the dice on tearing it all down and starting over with a new and unknown coach.

I don't terribly disagree.
A lot of schools have had success bringing in gunslingers.
Then again, far more have brought in gunslingers and not had success.
So, I also terribly disagree.
those teams like LSU, Oklahoma, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, WSU,

Look nobody is saying to throw the ball the majority of the time. What everyone believes is that new ideas are important.

Playing good D is possible while playing good offense. - not sure Kirk believes that though.

It is just amusing to me. This burn the house down reaction. After tOSU lost, there was a OS forum just like this, maybe a bit worse actually. What we wouldn’t give to have the bucknuts recent record……

I mean, we were what we were this year. Even with Cade version .5 we looked to have a terrible offense. Deacon just wasn’t the answer with the depleted offense. Don’t think he was the answer with a great offense either. Our vaunted defense was not at the previous year level, I think they just had enough. There is no way that our pathetic offense did not have residual effect on the defense.

Our uncertainty at offense is distraction enough. Perhaps the new OC will help. But firing KF? I am not sure that more than a few of the members of this forum will live long enough to see us recover from a drastic overhaul all at once. I am in that group. I was at pre-fry Iowa when we were nearing the end of our 20 year losing streak. Many of you have no idea how bad it can get…..

Does that mean I am happy with the past few years, even with our vaunted 10 wins this year, this was one of the most mind numbing frustrating seasons I have watched in a long time. Maybe there were 10 wins. Felt like half that many to be honest.

But let’s roll with KF for a bit yet…..change is coming at many levels. I sincerely hope it is the change most of us want.

oh god the "look what happened after tom davis argument"?

The galactic excuse for eternal mediocrity.

I watched bout 10 min of the bowl game. 10 min of my life that i wasted.

Exactly. It's not who you fire. It's who you hire to replace the one fired.

Although the jury is still out, Beth Goetz may very well be the best AD at Iowa since Bump Elliott.

those teams like LSU, Oklahoma, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, WSU,

Look nobody is saying to throw the ball the majority of the time. What everyone believes is that new ideas are important.

Playing good D is possible while playing good offense. - not sure Kirk believes that though.

The Missouri Tigers played very good defense and offense this year. It is indeed possible to do as you stated.

But as you also said, you're not sure if KF believes this. By the results of the past 25 years, that belief is pretty much warranted.

Fine, how about Nebraska firing Solich because Nebraska was falling behind Texas. 11 wins a year was not good enough. How did that work out? They went from a national powerhouse to a national joke in a generation. There are a lot more Frosts and Rileys out there than Dabos and Sarks.

And you and I define mediocrity much, much differently. 10 wins is mediocre? Really? Kirk Ferentz has been anything but mediocre in his time at Iowa. He has fallen short of making the playoffs, but beyond that, he has been a consistent winner. If Nattie's are your measuring stick, by a Roll Tide shirt.

Yeah it perplexes me a bit too. Not taking anything away from Michigan but Alabama didn't adjust very well especially in first half.
Kirby and Georgia played the same way against Bama in sec championship. Conservative! I understand stand when a few of your weapons are hurt you adjust your game plan some but when your getting owned at the line of scrimmage like Bama did against Michigan and Georgia did against Bama you would think with experience those coaches have and arsenal you would of tried to spread those defensive lines out some for honesty. Maybe there's some KF in Saban and Kirby too. I know that both games were close and execution probably was more of the fault with in one score games so you weren't going to blow up the whole play book, but both teams are sitting out the championship this year on adjustments and Conservative low risk plays.
Who is winning in the NFL right now duel threat QBs see ravens for example.

My man, KF isn't changing after 25 years of the same ole conservative offense.
I don’t disagree with your statement but KF is 68 and change is coming……maybe he is just waiting until he is 70 so he can max out his SS payment……

The choice of OC may tell us something and then again it may have the same impact as a fart in a windstorm

Fine, how about Nebraska firing Solich because Nebraska was falling behind Texas. 11 wins a year was not good enough. How did that work out? They went from a national powerhouse to a national joke in a generation. There are a lot more Frosts and Rileys out there than Dabos and Sarks.

And you and I define mediocrity much, much differently. 10 wins is mediocre? Really? Kirk Ferentz has been anything but mediocre in his time at Iowa. He has fallen short of making the playoffs, but beyond that, he has been a consistent winner. If Nattie's are your measuring stick, by a Roll Tide shirt.

How about Schembechler retiring?
I believe Kirk was better than .500 against Moeller, Carr, Rodriguez, and Hoke...cumulatively.
Same for Joe Pa's ouster. Kirk was .500 against PSU until this year.
Probably the only coaches with a big enough data set and a winning record against Kirk is Alvarez and effing Pat Fitzgerald.....and any OSU coach.

And don't get me started on "natties" being the measuring stick.
There's only 9 teams that have won more than one national title since 1970 AND have won one in the last 21 years.

Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, OSU, FSU, Florida, Texas, USC

If you go back more than 21 years you can add multiple winners of:
Miami (2001) Oklahoma (2000), Nebraska (1997), Notre Dame (Madonna was still hot?), PSU (1994)
I bet most of us would agree that AT LEAST 2 of these are not like the others.

8 teams have won one. Only Auburn has won one within 20 years..
Tennessee (1998), Michigan (1997), Washington (1991)
I'm tossing out Pitt, GA Tech, BYU, Colorado

So if "natties" and somewhat recent 'natties' paired with year-in year-out consistency is your measureing stick........

Roll Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, OSU, FSU, Florida, Texas, USC

And maybe: Miami, Oklahoma, Tennesse, and Michigan.

Honorable mentions: PSU

There's probably a few in there that could be argued off the list, but most have been pretty consistently involved in top 25 rankings.

That's it. 10-15 teams. Period. And a whole lot that wouldn't even make the non title winning, consistent winner bubble.

"nattie" nah how about just a conference championship?

I think the last won was 20 years ago.

Is 10 wins mediocre? Not typically but it's all relevant to the level of competition you play.

We barely beat average teams - then when we played ranked teams 0-92 score.

I think when you put everything together - yes, we are a medicore team.

If you blindly judge by pure wins and losses that's another thing.

Well if the new OC is a kirk disciple then it will be more of the same old same ole.

Ball control, conservative play calling and sitting out of the big playoff games at the end of the year.

Tell me what Kirk has shown that indicates any desire or hunger to improve upon more than just taking his lunch pale to work and just putting in his time like any factory worker. I have watched this mentality for years. Three damn years of shit offense and what has he done that indicates even the smallest of pulses to show an appetite or hunger for more? This isn’t just a Brian issue. As Fryowa has said nothing will change until Kirk moves on or shows a desire to do more than punch a clock.

I have said I am ok with Kirk staying as long as he shows adaption or effort to change things up to give some hope of improvement. That’s not just spending money and bringing a player in here or there but a change of offensive philosophy.

Good god man, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Penn State, Washington, UCLA, (IOWA or Wisconsin) Purdue, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Maryland, Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers, Indiana. That’s close to how I would rank them.

Finishing 7th, 8th, or 9th every year what’s that do for you? No more so called conference championship games…………. total bullshit. Not even a competant realistic chance in those pretended championships games. The West is dead and the gig is up.

Alabama goes down as I type this. Now listening to a You Tube with Don Patterson and a couple of other guys. It’s been a long, long, long time sinice we had a mind on the offensive side of the ball like Don’s.
With our Deffense/Special Teams the past three years all he needed from his offense was one or two plays a game (Williams long TD run vs Wisconsin for example)

All he needed from the offense was to protect the ball and Hill failed miserably, and was getting worse. Interestingly our D was also way down this year in terms of taking the ball.

Our D and special teams will probably take a step backward next year due to graduation and personnel losses.. With the west coast teams coming in next year scores in the teens won't cut it..

If I can see that as a middle-aged overweight beer guzzling jimoke, someone who is getting paid top dollar for such observations has to see it.

I think off season plans ro improve the offense has been an afterthoughts since Stanley left. It has to be top priority now, even if it pushes the outer boundaries of Kirk's comfort zone.

I'm still kind of shocked at Michigan winning that game. I thought Bama would roll them.....but give Michigan credit...they....I think they wanted it more in the end. Saban playcalling could have been right out of the Brian Ferentz playbook on the last few calls.
Michigan wore them down physically. They had a big edge once it went OT

Lol. Mr. Davis’s situation was eerily similar to kirk right now. Couldn’t recruit, finding it hard to get assistants, conference got better and he wasn’t keeping top talent home. Non conference schedules were awful. I’m not a big fran guy but he’s been at least the equivalent of Mr. Davis his last several years…take away the late postseason run with emotion his last year. Alford was still learning but wasn’t a total disaster
Agree to an extent, especially the top in state talent getting poached by Roy Dub, but not the statement on the conference getting better. B1G was top heavy with Izzo winning it all in 2000 and Davis at Indiana coming close two years later, and Weber at Illinois in 2005. But it bottomed out quickly once you got past two or three very good teams. B1G as a whole was in a major state of Flux during the late Davis/Alford years which is why

1) Iowa was always a threat in the conference tournament under Alford
2) his teams were NIT participants or early NCAA exits.

A lot of legendary conference coaching icons bade farewell from roughly 1995-2005 and some geared their programs back up slower than others. Also, talent from Midwestern metro areas such as Chicago and Detroit was getting scooped up nationally as the AAU era hit the boom stage.

By the way late era Davis non Cons included Kansas, Arkansas, Duke and UConn. Far from awful.

Last edited:

I was in too rough of shape to do much of anything else. Probably deserved it.

Finally worked out at my local gym about 4:30 to salvage something from the day.

I don't terribly disagree.
A lot of schools have had success bringing in gunslingers.
Then again, far more have brought in gunslingers and not had success.
So, I also terribly disagree.
Points well taken, I was thinking it would be nice to wake up and have that "unknown" factor, as compared to you know exactly what you're getting now and taking the temperature of all these posts, it's a little hot. KF is not adaptable in game, and he recruits that way, will not recruit to what's going on, on the field, he recruits to fit his offensive philosophy, e. g. I think I read earlier in the year, the wide receivers coach came out and said, "if you're a wide receiver and you want allot of touches, Iowa is not the place for you", I am in sales, like me saying on the first meeting, "you really don't want to buy this do you?".

Who is winning in the NFL right now duel threat QBs see ravens for example.
No argument there, just surprised Bama ran in the teeth of a stacked Michigan box . But my main point was in both those games I mentioned it seemed like offense for Bama and Georgia was kind of blah. I'm sure game was dictating it though.

Points well taken, I was thinking it would be nice to wake up and have that "unknown" factor, as compared to you know exactly what you're getting now and taking the temperature of all these posts, it's a little hot. KF is not adaptable in game, and he recruits that way, will not recruit to what's going on, on the field, he recruits to fit his offensive philosophy, e. g. I think I read earlier in the year, the wide receivers coach came out and said, "if you're a wide receiver and you want allot of touches, Iowa is not the place for you", I am in sales, like me saying on the first meeting, "you really don't want to buy this do you?".

Why do you even care? You guys are about to run the Big 12 with Oklahoma and Texas leaving.