Fire Kirk

Play was blown up by a low snap. Was supposed to be thrown to the back in motion on bottom of screen that was wide open
No. The play was run as called. Saban said as much after the game. They thought Michigan would be spread out and the middle would be open but they stayed home and killed the play. The low snap didn't help but it wasn't what killed the play.

I think we need to clean house bring in new coaches it’s not all about Xs & Os we need to bring in new young coaches just for recruiting the talent difference between us & Tennesssee was very noticeable & like Kirk always was saying we’re just little old Iowa we’ll that’s BS with his style of outdated football your not going to get some of the better talent he is the elephant in the room he’s had people bullshited for years $$$$$

It won't matter. Every team outside of a few outliers is really constrained by the availability in the local market and too much population has shifted south for a program like Iowa to ever really contend for anything. We had a team in 2009 that could have hung with anyone, that was likely the high water mark for Iowa football.

Unless you can steadily land stellar dudes out of Florida, Georgia and Texas and then keep those dudes in the modern world, you ain't gonna win huge games. The problems Iowa has are extremely prevalent with every program in our region, but Nebraska seemingly has started to throw money at the issue and maybe they can turn it around. I really don't see Iowa doing much beyond a moderate upside surprise once or twice a decade no matter who the coach is.

It won't matter. Every team outside of a few outliers is really constrained by the availability in the local market and too much population has shifted south for a program like Iowa to ever really contend for anything. We had a team in 2009 that could have hung with anyone, that was likely the high water mark for Iowa football.

Unless you can steadily land stellar dudes out of Florida, Georgia and Texas and then keep those dudes in the modern world, you ain't gonna win huge games. The problems Iowa has are extremely prevalent with every program in our region, but Nebraska seemingly has started to throw money at the issue and maybe they can turn it around. I really don't see Iowa doing much beyond a moderate upside surprise once or twice a decade no matter who the coach is.
I agree with most of what you say but Iowa can throw a little money out there also .

How many coaches have been fired after a 10 win season? And it not be for some off the field reason?
Iowa is like the 20th-30th best team or so. They can beat the bad teams and some ok ones barely. But the good teams that have a pulse Iowa can't because of their offense being so bad. You can't be as bad as Iowa is on O and be much more then what they are. You just can't.

I don't think firing KF now is prudent at all. He's going to hire an OC in the next few weeks. See who that ends up being and how next yr goes. The main thing is Hill can not be playing QB next yr. Either Cade or one of the mobile guys do.

This was too painful to read all of this, but my quick response to the OP is:

1. Ok, and then what? The next guy you hire might be Dabo Sweeney or he might be Scott Frost, but statistics would say we have a much better chance of the next coach sucking. Only the gods know.

2. When exactly did the game pass him by? Since 2018, he has a 71% win percentage and has 2 division titles. The game has not passed him by. He had a blind spot for his dumb son. That has been fixed.

1. Ok, and then what? The next guy you hire might be Dabo Sweeney or he might be Scott Frost, but statistics would say we have a much better chance of the next coach sucking. Only the gods know.

2. When exactly did the game pass him by? Since 2018, he has a 71% win percentage and has 2 division titles. The game has not passed him by. He had a blind spot for his dumb son. That has been fixed.
See who he gets for a OC before I will say there was only one blind spot .

How many coaches have been fired after a 10 win season? And it not be for some off the field reason?
Iowa is like the 20th-30th best team or so. They can beat the bad teams and some ok ones barely. But the good teams that have a pulse Iowa can't because of their offense being so bad. You can't be as bad as Iowa is on O and be much more then what they are. You just can't.

I don't think firing KF now is prudent at all. He's going to hire an OC in the next few weeks. See who that ends up being and how next yr goes. The main thing is Hill can not be playing QB next yr. Either Cade or one of the mobile guys do.

You can’t run this back with Big Deek.

It isn’t about if CM gets hurt…it is about when he gets hurt.

See who he gets for a OC before I will say there was only one blind spot .
Its likely Philben. Whether hiring an old buddy is a blind spot remains to be seen. Honestly, whoever he hires, we won't know if it was a good hire until a year from now.

Kirk has a blind spot with the entire offense.

You aren’t getting it

there are 10s of millions of reasons why KF won't be fired. At the same time I think he is facing something WAY outside his comfort zone. He has to hire an offensive coordinator. He is not offensive minded. He can't even speak to offense without speaking about defense. He can't talk about offensive scheme and concepts without talking about defense and being complementary. He can't talk about offense without saying 'we're not going to throw the ball all over the place'.

Offense is a vacuum, a blind spot, a blackness

And he's going to struggle to find someone who will do it his way unless they are moving up from Coe or St. Ambrose.

He may just decide its time to resign. This is a bridge too far.

Last edited:
You aren’t getting it
I am not sure what the it is I am not getting, but I think I understand this is a reactionary thread and I am glad that internet message boards do not run Iowa athletics.

Think of it this way. If you knew that the next Iowa coach would have a 80% chance of getting Scott Frost results, and a 20% chance of getting Dabo Sweeney results, would you roll the dice or stick with KF for the next 3-4 years?

Since 2018, he has a 71% win percentage and has 2 division titles. The game has not passed him by. He had a blind spot for his dumb son. That has been fixed.

In all honesty the division fell off an absolute cliff. I think the frustration is the extent to which it has become apparent how big of a gulf there is now between Iowa and the big dogs. Back in the day we could hang with the big dogs, but dropped a bunch of games to turds. He's tightened up against the turds, but is a mile behind the big boys now.

there are 10s of millions of reasons why KF won't be fired. At the same time I think he is facing something WAY outside his comfort zone. He has to hire an offensive coordinator. He is not offensive minded. He can't even speak to offense without speaking about defense. He can't talk about offensive scheme and concepts without talking about defense and being complementary. He can't talk about offense without saying 'we're not going to throw the ball all over the place'.

Offense is a vacuum, a bland spot, a blackness

And he's going to struggle to find someone who will do it his way unless they are moving up from Coe or St. Ambrose.

He may just decide its time to resign. This is a bridge too far.
He is going to have to get someone older that he has a relationship with. No hot young up and comer is going to touch Iowa's OC with a ten foot pole (that said, any sort of improvement might make you look like Merlin). The hot names (Philbin and Wisky's old coach) make sense for those reasons).

I am not sure what the it is I am not getting, but I think I understand this is a reactionary thread and I am glad that internet message boards do not run Iowa athletics.

Think of it this way. If you knew that the next Iowa coach would have a 80% chance of getting Scott Frost results, and a 20% chance of getting Dabo Sweeney results, would you roll the dice or stick with KF for the next 3-4 years?
That’s a defeatist way of looking at things.

Steppingstone, I agree, two coaches in the last 500 years (not really, seems like it), wouldn't mind seeing a young gun slinger come in and get some blood flowing again in the Iowa fan base.

I don't terribly disagree.
A lot of schools have had success bringing in gunslingers.
Then again, far more have brought in gunslingers and not had success.
So, I also terribly disagree.

Last edited:
I disagree.

Regards,
Iowa MBB After Firing Mr. Davis
Lol. Mr. Davis’s situation was eerily similar to kirk right now. Couldn’t recruit, finding it hard to get assistants, conference got better and he wasn’t keeping top talent home. Non conference schedules were awful. I’m not a big fran guy but he’s been at least the equivalent of Mr. Davis his last several years…take away the late postseason run with emotion his last year. Alford was still learning but wasn’t a total disaster

I'm still kind of shocked at Michigan winning that game. I thought Bama would roll them.....but give Michigan credit...they....I think they wanted it more in the end. Saban playcalling could have been right out of the Brian Ferentz playbook on the last few calls.
Yeah it perplexes me a bit too. Not taking anything away from Michigan but Alabama didn't adjust very well especially in first half.
Kirby and Georgia played the same way against Bama in sec championship. Conservative! I understand stand when a few of your weapons are hurt you adjust your game plan some but when your getting owned at the line of scrimmage like Bama did against Michigan and Georgia did against Bama you would think with experience those coaches have and arsenal you would of tried to spread those defensive lines out some for honesty. Maybe there's some KF in Saban and Kirby too. I know that both games were close and execution probably was more of the fault with in one score games so you weren't going to blow up the whole play book, but both teams are sitting out the championship this year on adjustments and Conservative low risk plays.

Latest posts