Ferentz's time

Why don't you provide evidence Diaco can recruit to Iowa? Oh, that's right. You have none. There is plenty of evidence Ferentz can recruit to Iowa. I'd rather see us hire a successful MAC coach than a coordinator from a big school because a coordinator from a big school becomes a hot commodity based solely on the brand equity of that school and the talent that it draws in.

Okeefe, I don't need to provide evidence on whether Diaco could or could not recruit at Iowa. You gave this reply to Hawkfarmer who threw out the name of Diaco:

"Recruiting Notre Dame and recruiting Iowa are two different beasts, guy. And ND got torched by Michigan on Saturday. With a bunch of studs on the defensive side of the ball.

Honestly, we've lost some guys to places like Oregon, Alabama and Michigan. Iowa is simply not going to be able to out-recruit those programs. Ever. We have got to be realistic. Heck, we're even at a disadvantage for recruiting against Missouri and Wisconsin since we have another BCS program in state and our state population is smaller. And the population is way smaller than Illinois (though it has two BCS schools)."

I simply asked you to answer why, with the inherent recruiting limitations at Iowa that you identified, you believe Ferentz can recruit at Iowa and Diaco couldn't. So, again, why do you believe only Ferentz can recruit at Iowa and not Diaco?

Yet ,that team beat us at home. You're full of crap.

According to you and this board, Iowa loses to teams with less talent all the time. Why would this be any different?

Swap Lynch and JR, and Iowa wins with Lynch by 28. No offense to JR, as I think he will eventually be really good, but he isn't there yet. The rest of the units, Iowa > NIU. OL, DL, RB, TE, LB, DB Iowa has better talent on all of these units. WR NIU might be better, and the QB is way better, but that is it.

Okeefe, I don't need to provide evidence on whether Diaco could or could not recruit at Iowa. You gave this reply to Hawkfarmer who threw out the name of Diaco:

"Recruiting Notre Dame and recruiting Iowa are two different beasts, guy. And ND got torched by Michigan on Saturday. With a bunch of studs on the defensive side of the ball.

Honestly, we've lost some guys to places like Oregon, Alabama and Michigan. Iowa is simply not going to be able to out-recruit those programs. Ever. We have got to be realistic. Heck, we're even at a disadvantage for recruiting against Missouri and Wisconsin since we have another BCS program in state and our state population is smaller. And the population is way smaller than Illinois (though it has two BCS schools)."

I simply asked you to answer why, with the inherent recruiting limitations at Iowa that you identified, you believe Ferentz can recruit at Iowa and Diaco couldn't. So, again, why do you believe only Ferentz can recruit at Iowa and not Diaco?

I didn't say Diaco couldn't recruit Iowa. I just know Ferentz can. He has proven it. Diaco hasn't. There is an implication that Diaco is a great recruiter. I have seen no evidence that he would be a great recruiter at Iowa. I think Ferentz has done fine recruiting. I'm skeptical of our talent level now, but we are young so I will give Ferentz time. IIRC he landed two 4 star d-linemen in the 2013 class. Trust me pal, if one of those guys pans, this defense is going to look materially different than it does now because Ferentz will find some stud like Angerer at LB and some guys no one else wanted at safety like Greenwood and Sash and have a salty defense again. Look, guy, I get that it's painful when you finally come to the realization that Iowa doesn't just reload after losing a Clayborn with another Clayborn who is a junior ready to dominate, but no change in the staff is gonna turn Iowa into OSU. It just ain't gonna happen. It just amazes me how many morons can't get that through their heads.

According to you and this board, Iowa loses to teams with less talent all the time. Why would this be any different?

Swap Lynch and JR, and Iowa wins with Lynch by 28. No offense to JR, as I think he will eventually be really good, but he isn't there yet. The rest of the units, Iowa > NIU. OL, DL, RB, TE, LB, DB Iowa has better talent on all of these units. WR NIU might be better, and the QB is way better, but that is it.

I'm not sure they have better WRs. A QB like that makes his WRs look better. He's able to buy a lot of time so his WRs have more time to get open. If Powell had that much time he'd be open almost every play with his speed. WRs also tend to get more YAC outside of the set play. I think that's why Cam Newton and RGIII (1st) were top 5 in YPA last year.

Last edited:
That is such bull, you can describe every bad play as mental if you wanted. Every INT in history involves a mental mistake by somebody on the offense, the QB threw the ball to the wrong place, or at the wrong time. Or, the receiver bobbled it by not looking it into his hands. Or the lineman prepared for the bull rush and got hit with the spin and the DE crushed the QB.

Your mind controls your body every mistake is a mental mistake and every single detrimental play involves poor decision making at some level.

Dismissing everything as mental mistake to try to make it seem like our opponents had nothign to do with it is ridiculous.

So you are saying nobody with really good talent never blows a coverage and gives up a td? Whenever there is an int that the defense had better talent on that play?

Biels is pretty much a Ferentz clone. Boring offense and 4-3 bend but don't break D. Dude just had JJ Watt and Russell Wilson. The "experts" on here will settle for nothing less than Oregon's offense and Alabama's defense.
Hey chucklehead, any coach able to hang 70 on the Cornsuckers in the conference championship game is pretty much the furthest thing removed from a Ferentz clone.

Honestly, I think this is the way we'll see Kirk end up leaving. On his own terms. If Iowa is 4-8 or worse this year I wouldn't be shocked if he walked away. I know some of you would be, and I know some will make comments about all he cares about is money. I just think that's a load of crap at this point. He's made enough money to live comfortably, and he made it pretty clear offseasons like this last one are incredibly taxing. At some point enough is enough.

He and his agent worked out a nice contract for himself, but I have a very hard time believing he's the greedy jerkoff some people try to make him out to be. I wouldn't even be surprised if he donated a significant portion of his buyout to the Children's Hospital. It's not something that he would want made public, but I think deep down that's the kind of guy he is. Very few people care more about the University than he does. I have a hard time believing there is anyone who takes this downward trend any harder than Kirk Ferentz. He's a proud guy. Most football coaches who have seen signifcant levels of success are extremely proud. It can't be easy watching something you built from the ground up fall back to mediocrity. I truly believe he's been doing the best he can to make Iowa successful. If he comes to the realization that his way just isn't working anymore then he'll sacrifice himself in order to do what is best for the University.

I really wish that some of the negative posters on this board would recognize and understand what you have so skillfully presented in your post. Certainly there are things we can criticize, but the vicious personal attacks on a man of KF's stature are depressing.

I really wish that some of the negative posters on this board would recognize and understand what you have so skillfully presented in your post. Certainly there are things we can criticize, but the vicious personal attacks on a man of KF's stature are depressing.

I bet it breaks his heart rrtime kirk reads HN. I weep for him.

So you are saying nobody with really good talent never blows a coverage and gives up a td? Whenever there is an int that the defense had better talent on that play?

Never happens. Holloway was better than every single player on that LSU team and that is why Iowa beat LSU.

I am not a Lane Kiffin enthusiast, but his problem is lack of scholarships. That's starting to affect the team now. I think this year they are down 20 scholarships? That's a lot and a big reason why they are not good.

They still get far better talent than the Hawks on location alone. Even at our best recruiting, even in the 80s haydays(pun intended) and 02-04 fun I would be surprised if we had more talent.

Nebraska came to the Big Ten for 2 reasons (ok 2 1/2)

1. Money. The big 12 arrangement wasn't as lucrative, or the conference as stable
1B. The got tired of Texas running the big 12

2. The academic side of campus was striving to upgrade, and the Big Ten offered that.

Your number 2 item is cute. Not true, but its still cute.