Ferentz's time

hawkfarmer

I have not posted in a few months just trying to avoid the negativity that surrounds Iowa football and the summer boredom.

The reason for this post is that I have been a loyal Ferentz supporter, perhaps blindly at times, since forever. I still think he's a good coach and a great person. I appreciate that he will never pull a Saban and cut people or over recruit etc.

However, with that sentiment I believe for the betterment of the Iowa football program Ferentz needs to move on. I know it won't happen. But it has been said numerous times that if you are at a program for more than 10 years you're going to get stale. It happened to KF and with his old staff recruiting suffered. We know it is all about the Jimmy's and Joe's, just look at Bama. He got rid of a few of his coordinators and replaced with younger guys. Still we are starting to see some of his better recruitment classes get into the fold and we are still seeing a bad football team.

I want this team to succeed, I want KF to succeed, but I'm not sure they can happen simultaneously anymore. I think everyone needs a fresh start and that would benefit all.

"If you think you can do better maybe you should apply for his job." (There I got that out of the way for all .500 defenders)

We've got a young team. Give it time. Don't jump off the bandwagon now.

Question - who do you hire to replace the longest tenured coach in the conference. The guy's career is as storied as the legends of yesteryear and as far as I'm concerned, he's earned a lifetime contract.

In all seriousness. I didn't expect much from this years team. They have shown glimpses of being a bowl team. If they can put it all together I think they could get 7 wins before a bowl game (I'm predicting 4). Next year to me is when the Offense has to be great not just adequate. That's why I'm trying not to get to higher too low this year.

You fairweather fans are going to be sorry if Ferentz leaves after this year. Kurt's just getting warmed up for another cycle of three straight years with 8+ wins beginning next season. Now is not the time to fire him.

We've got a young team. Give it time. Don't jump off the bandwagon now.

Question - who do you hire to replace the longest tenured coach in the conference. The guy's career is as storied as the legends of yesteryear and as far as I'm concerned, he's earned a lifetime contract.

I know this is trolling, but I will respond. A guy like Bob Diaco. Coordinator at a big time program that has recruited. Worked for a guy that can recruit. Iowa ties. I would think he would like to see Iowa succeed. He played under Hayden so I'd like to think he would beat the snot out of teams that he should and not play it close. I think we have all seen what happens when you have a guy that can recruit at Iowa (Fran). I think keeping it young is a good way to start recruiting and go with a guy who has been around a HC that is good at recruiting.

Well he just broke a big losing streak and things are looking up headed into clowntown. Iowa will beat isu and this will show that the program is back on track. Dont jump ship just yet.

Honestly, I think this is the way we'll see Kirk end up leaving. On his own terms. If Iowa is 4-8 or worse this year I wouldn't be shocked if he walked away. I know some of you would be, and I know some will make comments about all he cares about is money. I just think that's a load of crap at this point. He's made enough money to live comfortably, and he made it pretty clear offseasons like this last one are incredibly taxing. At some point enough is enough.

He and his agent worked out a nice contract for himself, but I have a very hard time believing he's the greedy jerkoff some people try to make him out to be. I wouldn't even be surprised if he donated a significant portion of his buyout to the Children's Hospital. It's not something that he would want made public, but I think deep down that's the kind of guy he is. Very few people care more about the University than he does. I have a hard time believing there is anyone who takes this downward trend any harder than Kirk Ferentz. He's a proud guy. Most football coaches who have seen signifcant levels of success are extremely proud. It can't be easy watching something you built from the ground up fall back to mediocrity. I truly believe he's been doing the best he can to make Iowa successful. If he comes to the realization that his way just isn't working anymore then he'll sacrifice himself in order to do what is best for the University.

Last edited:
I know this is trolling, but I will respond. A guy like Bob Diaco. Coordinator at a big time program that has recruited. Worked for a guy that can recruit. Iowa ties. I would think he would like to see Iowa succeed. He played under Hayden so I'd like to think he would beat the snot out of teams that he should and not play it close. I think we have all seen what happens when you have a guy that can recruit at Iowa (Fran). I think keeping it young is a good way to start recruiting and go with a guy who has been around a HC that is good at recruiting.

He's a man, he's 40! :)

Recruiting Notre Dame and recruiting Iowa are two different beasts, guy. And ND got torched by Michigan on Saturday. With a bunch of studs on the defensive side of the ball.

Honestly, we've lost some guys to places like Oregon, Alabama and Michigan. Iowa is simply not going to be able to out-recruit those programs. Ever. We have got to be realistic. Heck, we're even at a disadvantage for recruiting against Missouri and Wisconsin since we have another BCS program in state and our state population is smaller. And the population is way smaller than Illinois (though it has two BCS schools).

Honestly, dude, we have a young team with a young QB. As he goes so will our team. I've seen glimpses of hope. Schedule softens way up in 2014 and 2015, too. Keep the faith, man.

Honestly, I think this is the way we'll see Kirk end up leaving. On his own terms. If Iowa is 4-8 or worse this year I wouldn't be shocked if he walked away. I know some of you would be, and I know some will make comments about all he cares about is money. I just think that's a load of crap at this point. He's made enough money to live comfortably, and he made it pretty clear offseasons like this last one are incredibly taxing. At some point enough is enough.

He and his agent worked out a nice contract for himself, but I have a very hard time believing he's the greedy jerkoff some people try to make him out to be. I wouldn't even be surprised if he donated a significant portion of his buyout to the Children's Hospital. It's not something that he would want made public, but I think deep down that's the kind of guy he is. Very few people care more about the University than he does. I have a hard time believing there is anyone who takes this downward trend any harder than Kirk Ferentz. He's a proud guy. Most football coaches who have seen signifcant levels of success are extremely proud. It can't be easy watching something you built from the ground up fall back to mediocrity. I truly believe he's been doing the best he can to make Iowa successful. If he comes to the realization that his way just isn't working anymore then he'll sacrifice himself in order to do what is best for the University.

Since you know him so well, please tell him thanks from all of us. Tell him to keep his head up he had it tough.

Recruiting Notre Dame and recruiting Iowa are two different beasts, guy. And ND got torched by Michigan on Saturday. With a bunch of studs on the defensive side of the ball.

Honestly, we've lost some guys to places like Oregon, Alabama and Michigan. Iowa is simply not going to be able to out-recruit those programs. Ever. We have got to be realistic. Heck, we're even at a disadvantage for recruiting against Missouri and Wisconsin since we have another BCS program in state and our state population is smaller. And the population is way smaller than Illinois (though it has two BCS schools).

Honestly, dude, we have a young team with a young QB. As he goes so will our team. I've seen glimpses of hope. Schedule softens way up in 2014 and 2015, too. Keep the faith, man.

Calm down OK4P. If KF stays I won't be too upset, again I like the guy, I just don't believe he will be winning 10 games ever again at Iowa.

And yes Diaco is doing that at ND and it is different, but that doesn't mean he can't bring that kind of attitude to Iowa.

Shoot KF used to get some good recruits, even when his program wasn't great, but then his recruiters left. It's not just him that recruits. Lots of coaches on staff.

Latest posts