Ferentz's time

I disagree with you on this. Nebraska came to the Big Ten because they couldn't compete in the big twelve. That and the money and uncertainty of the time.

Nebraska was okay in the Big 12 but it had been a decade since they had won the conference. A decade. Don't act like they were the top Big 12 team. They weren't. The last conference championship for Nebraska was 1999.

I view Nebraska this way too. Yet, Iowa is 0-4 against Nebby under Ferentz.

That losing record at Maine was coupled with serious credibility garnered in the NFL. I believe we currently have two red shirt freshmen who are 4 stars on the d-line. If just one of those guys pans (and I understand why Kirk is reluctant to play them now) we are gonna be a lot better down the road. One good d-lineman is the whole key to our defense working. It is unfortunate that we are in the predicament we are in now, but I blame the clown who is in Nebraska now for it. Dude was a moron.

Diaco inherited some good ball players at Notre Dame. Let's see what he does with his own guys before we anoint him the next Ron Zook.

You actually didn't answer my original question. Please do so. You didn't state why you feel Ferentz can recruit at Iowa but Diaco can't. You provided some history, but not an answer to the question.

Biels is pretty much a Ferentz clone. Boring offense and 4-3 bend but don't break D. Dude just had JJ Watt and Russell Wilson. The "experts" on here will settle for nothing less than Oregon's offense and Alabama's defense.

There are some pretty big differences. Wisconsin ran a much more productive scoring offense under Bielema. Iowa tries to remain balanced at 50/50 run/pass whereas Wisconsin under Bielema was about 65/35 run heavy. They also use different blocking schemes.

Here's how Iowa and Wisconsin ranked in scoring in the Big Ten the last 5 years. The only year we beat Wisconsin (scoring stat wise) was also the only year we were above 60% run.

.......Wis. Iowa
2012 4th 11th
2011 1st 6th
2010 1st 7th
2009 1st 11th
2008 4th 3rd

Last edited:
Glad to see another hawk fan has come to this realization. Kirk has let the talent level slip to MAC levels, nobody else is to blame but him. He dug this hole, I have no desire to wait for him to dig his way out of it.

FactChecker-MF.jpg

Iowa was and is better at nearly every position group than the very best MAC team NIU. Only the QB is better, and maybe the WR's (and that is only cause we are changing systems).

FactChecker-MF.jpg

Iowa was and is better at nearly every position group than the very best MAC team NIU. Only the QB is better, and maybe the WR's (and that is only cause we are changing systems).

That explains the offense's woes. Is our defense changing systems too?

You actually didn't answer my original question. Please do so. You didn't state why you feel Ferentz can recruit at Iowa but Diaco can't. You provided some history, but not an answer to the question.

Why don't you provide evidence Diaco can recruit to Iowa? Oh, that's right. You have none. There is plenty of evidence Ferentz can recruit to Iowa. I'd rather see us hire a successful MAC coach than a coordinator from a big school because a coordinator from a big school becomes a hot commodity based solely on the brand equity of that school and the talent that it draws in.

What dont you understand about that? Missed coverages and ints. Do you think NIU has more talent than Iowa?

Oh OK. I assume that Iowa has more talent than NIU, but at three positions (QB, safety and WR) Iowa may not. That was the deciding factor (perhaps along with some questionable playcalling). Mental errors hurt as well though.

I view Nebraska this way too. Yet, Iowa is 0-4 against Nebby under Ferentz.

Nebraska came to the Big Ten for 2 reasons (ok 2 1/2)

1. Money. The big 12 arrangement wasn't as lucrative, or the conference as stable
1B. The got tired of Texas running the big 12

2. The academic side of campus was striving to upgrade, and the Big Ten offered that.

Oh OK. I assume that Iowa has more talent than NIU, but at three positions (QB, safety and WR) Iowa may not. That was the deciding factor (perhaps along with some questionable playcalling). Mental errors hurt as well though.

Id say QB for sure. The other groups it was too hard to tell. Iowa typically screws up a bunch of coverages early in the year. They usually dont face a QB that makes them pay every time. Iowas offense was in control until the coaches changed up the play calling. Both of Jakes ints were mental and not a great defensive play.

Why don't you provide evidence Diaco can recruit to Iowa? Oh, that's right. You have none. There is plenty of evidence Ferentz can recruit to Iowa. I'd rather see us hire a successful MAC coach than a coordinator from a big school because a coordinator from a big school becomes a hot commodity based solely on the brand equity of that school and the talent that it draws in.

Based on what? Every year Iowa's recruiting class ranking is underwhelming at best.

Id say QB for sure. The other groups it was too hard to tell. Iowa typically screws up a bunch of coverages early in the year. They usually dont face a QB that makes them pay every time. Iowas offense was in control until the coaches changed up the play calling. Both of Jakes ints were mental and not a great defensive play.

That is such bull, you can describe every bad play as mental if you wanted. Every INT in history involves a mental mistake by somebody on the offense, the QB threw the ball to the wrong place, or at the wrong time. Or, the receiver bobbled it by not looking it into his hands. Or the lineman prepared for the bull rush and got hit with the spin and the DE crushed the QB.

Your mind controls your body every mistake is a mental mistake and every single detrimental play involves poor decision making at some level.

Dismissing everything as mental mistake to try to make it seem like our opponents had nothign to do with it is ridiculous.

Latest posts