Ferentz Era Over

Not sure about that I think most fans would have a " this is as good as it is going to get" thought process if they had made the CFP in 2015. Getting smoked by Alabama wouldn't be something to brag about, but it would mean Iowa capitalized on every opportunity, every break that season and got as far as they could. Most Iowa fans are realistic, they just want a little taste every now and then.
If we were good enough to get to the CFP in 2015 or any year, there would have been the plethora of posters who would have been satisfied with nothing less than a Natty, Alabama or not. The 13-0 that we accomplished to get there would have been out the window and it would have been the same complaints about Kirk, etc. And I will double down that the complaints at that level would have been more venomous than ever. Once again, people were calling for the termination of BO RYAN after he lost a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

There's reason to believe we did get as far as we could in 2015. MSU exposed our weaknesses on that final drive, picked on Mabin, forced Lomax to read keys in the open field, and wore us down physically.

Many fans, while disappointed, would have had level heads after such a game, like you said. But many more would have been hanging on to the proverbial ledge by their fingernails.

I am sure this has been mentioned by more than a few people. But as a fan I am not sold on Brian becoming the new head coach when Kirk leaves. Overall I think Brian has been a good influence on Kirk. But I just don't think he is head coach material at this point.

Sorry this is preordained. It is obvious.
Brian didn't t return to toil as an OLine coach and OC for too long. OC not his strength. No natural ability there. Kirk just hoping Brian has a modicum of success. Even though it is not required.

Kirk is hoping to bow out sooner than later but here is the tricky part. In order to make it legit he hopes to leave and transition to Brian after a 9 or 10 win successful season. That might not happen. Does it matter though? Interesting to see Kirk criticize the officials after Purdue. Will he become more vocal and invested in our success as he equates our success with Brian's future?

I can see Kirk stepping aside in a couple of years. He can't risk Barta leaving before him. Brian gets promoted. Polasek ascends to OC. Why do you think he was hired? He had zero OLine experience.
A younger Ferentz takes over as OLine coach.

Where does this leave Parker? Who knows. He would be more deserving but maybe he doesn't want it. He will have to decide his own future.

All speculation on my part but tell me what other scenario makes more sense given that Kirk is running the show. You can't deny his history of Nepotism.

Sorry this is preordained. It is obvious.
Brian didn't t return to toil as an OLine coach and OC for too long. OC not his strength. No natural ability there. Kirk just hoping Brian has a modicum of success. Even though it is not required.

Kirk is hoping to bow out sooner than later but here is the tricky part. In order to make it legit he hopes to leave and transition to Brian after a 9 or 10 win successful season. That might not happen. Does it matter though? Interesting to see Kirk criticize the officials after Purdue. Will he become more vocal and invested in our success as he equates our success with Brian's future?

I can see Kirk stepping aside in a couple of years. He can't risk Barta leaving before him. Brian gets promoted. Polasek ascends to OC. Why do you think he was hired? He had zero OLine experience.
A younger Ferentz takes over as OLine coach.

Where does this leave Parker? Who knows. He would be more deserving but maybe he doesn't want it. He will have to decide his own future.

All speculation on my part but tell me what other scenario makes more sense given that Kirk is running the show. You can't deny his history of Nepotism.
Here's a good reading assignment for you and all posters. Read "Don't Flinch" the Barry Alvarez autobiography. He talks about the stink some of the assistant coaches raised when Bret was handpicked to succeed him and not all assistant coaches would be guaranteed to return. Some of the assistants made their feelings known with their position players. It got so bad that at the end of the the year team banquet the wives of the coaches who would not be retained would not sit by the wives of the coaches who were.

I would hope that when this wheel inevitably starts spinning that Phil would get consideration to at least retain his DC position. But it's not any kind of guarantee. Kirk kept very few of Hayden's assistants when he took over and didnt keep either coordinator.

If we were good enough to get to the CFP in 2015 or any year, there would have been the plethora of posters who would have been satisfied with nothing less than a Natty, Alabama or not. The 13-0 that we accomplished to get there would have been out the window and it would have been the same complaints about Kirk, etc. And I will double down that the complaints at that level would have been more venomous than ever. Once again, people were calling for the termination of BO RYAN after he lost a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

There's reason to believe we did get as far as we could in 2015. MSU exposed our weaknesses on that final drive, picked on Mabin, forced Lomax to read keys in the open field, and wore us down physically.

Many fans, while disappointed, would have had level heads after such a game, like you said. But many more would have been hanging on to the proverbial ledge by their fingernails.

Agree to disagree. A vocal minority maybe, but most would have got it.

As for 2015, Conner Cook had a bad throwing shoulder, Phil had to dial something up to get those kids off the field.

Agree to disagree. A vocal minority maybe, but most would have got it.

As for 2015, Conner Cook had a bad throwing shoulder, Phil had to dial something up to get those kids off the field.
Fair enough. The key phrase is "vocal minority"

Negative posters tend to make their feelings known while many positive don't even post. It's like a restaurant survey or a hotel survey. The more negative the experience, the more someone is generally likely to comment about it.

THIS. People act like Wisconsin is some warm, Hollywood metropolis selling beaches and babes. We’re putting the same numbers of players in the NFL. They’re winning games at a higher level and we just seem to accept that. Backwards ass mindset around here.

What are the barriers you see in a national recruiting environment and versus the competition in the Big Ten West to being a top 25 team every year, given Iowa's revenue? Why is Wisconsin able to do ot consistently and Iowa not?

My point I was making was National Championship Level and the 4 to 5 teams mostly the same teams year in and year out. Wisconsin isn’t one of those teams. Guess I lost track of all the BCS Championship appearances that Wisconsin has made on a consistent basis..

You think Iowa fans would be happy with the shit Wisconsin has done? lmao people weren’t even happy when we got to within seconds of being in the BCS final 4. So spare me the Wisconsin comparison. Because people are going to the next not a swing in miss level where Wisconsin is at as well.

Last edited:
My point I was making was National Championship Level and the 4 to 5 teams mostly the same teams year in and year out. Wisconsin isn’t one of those teams. Guess I lost track of all the BCS Championship appearances that Wisconsin has made on a consistent basis..

You think Iowa fans would be happy with the shit Wisconsin has done? lmao people weren’t even happy when we got to within seconds of being in the BCS final 4. So spare me the Wisconsin comparison. Because people are going to the next not a swing in miss level where Wisconsin is at as well.

Wisconsin won a Big Championship. They've been in the playoff discussion for the last decade. Nobody expects national championship contenders every year here. But you haven't refuted my argument about West success.

Half of the playoff games since its inception have been blowouts. I'd rather be there and get smoked than not go. MSU got smoked when they went instead of us. Who cares. It would have meant winning the CC and being in the playoffs.

Here are just a handful of CFP scores
59-20
38-0
31-0
24-7
24-6

In 4 CFP games one team has been held to a touchdown or less and there have been two shutouts.

Wisconsin won a Big Championship. They've been in the playoff discussion for the last decade. Nobody expects national championship contenders every year here. But you haven't refuted my argument about West success.

And you haven’t refuted mine either on Wisconsin being able to get to the next level.. and NO Wisconsin hasn’t been been a National Championship Contender for the last decade!! They were close 1 year as was Iowa.

Last edited:
Half of the playoff games since its inception have been blowouts. I'd rather be there and get smoked than not go. MSU got smoked when they went instead of us. Who cares. It would have meant winning the CC and being in the playoffs.

Here are just a handful of CFP scores
59-20
38-0
31-0
24-7
24-6

In 4 CFP games one team has been held to a touchdown or less and there have been two shutouts.

Rather be smoked in playoff than Rose or Outback smoked

And you haven’t refuted mine either on Wisconsin being able to get to the next level.. and NO Wisconsin hasn’t been been a National Championship Contender for the last decade!! They were close 1 year as was Iowa.

Wisconsin AP high over the last decade:

That's 7 times where they've been in the national discussion.

Iowa

Four times. A series of unranked seasons. Iowa may never win a NC, but they can be nationally relevant as Wisconsin has been the majority of the last decade. As for playoff appearances - only OSU and MSU have done that. Nobody expects that to happen regularly. But you don't have to make the playoffs to be in the discussion.

Here's a good reading assignment for you and all posters. Read "Don't Flinch" the Barry Alvarez autobiography. He talks about the stink some of the assistant coaches raised when Bret was handpicked to succeed him and not all assistant coaches would be guaranteed to return. Some of the assistants made their feelings known with their position players. It got so bad that at the end of the the year team banquet the wives of the coaches who would not be retained would not sit by the wives of the coaches who were.

I would hope that when this wheel inevitably starts spinning that Phil would get consideration to at least retain his DC position. But it's not any kind of guarantee. Kirk kept very few of Hayden's assistants when he took over and didnt keep either coordinator.
Thanks I will add it to my list.

Barry would probably not be easy to work for but maybe that is ok. The AD SHOULD be in charge and you can't argue with his success over the past twenty years. The situation we have here with our AD and the Ferentz family is unhealthy.

If Brian is smart he will try and retain Phil when that day comes. And Morgan and Wallace too.

Thanks I will add it to my list.

Barry would probably not be easy to work for but maybe that is ok. The AD SHOULD be in charge and you can't argue with his success over the past twenty years. The situation we have here with our AD and the Ferentz family is unhealthy.

If Brian is smart he will try and retain Phil when that day comes. And Morgan and Wallace too.
One difference between Barry (as a coach) and either Kirk or Hayden is that he was regularly seen in public especially in his early years. Kirk and Hayden are (were) seldom seen in public, though Hayden famously went grocery shopping every Sunday morning at the Coralville HyVee.

Barry was regularly seen around campus, in restaurants, attending school plays, theatre, etc. He is a genuine people person.

Bret, according to legend, was notoriously seen in other areas of Madison. Like State and Regent streets. In the wee hours of the morning. In the grand tradition of Barry Switzer.

Wisconsin AP high over the last decade:

That's 7 times where they've been in the national discussion.

Iowa

Four times. A series of unranked seasons. Iowa may never win a NC, but they can be nationally relevant as Wisconsin has been the majority of the last decade. As for playoff appearances - only OSU and MSU have done that. Nobody expects that to happen regularly. But you don't have to make the playoffs to be in the discussion.

You said they have been a National Championship contender for the past decade! That’s horseshit.. They were in the National Championship discussion 1 time in 2017 and Iowa has been in the discussion once as well. So please don’t try and pump up the relevance of Wisconsin based on rankings and many of those rankings were early season rankings only for them to become relevant. Fact is Wisconsin Has finished inside the Top 10 final poll just 3 times in the last decade. Iowa has finished inside the Top 10 twice during the same time frame. So whoop Dee doo on Wisconsin.

Last edited:

No Wisconsin hasn’t been in the playoff discussion for the last Decade. That’s ridiculous talk!!! As for the west yes they’ve had our number and! Your blowing Wisconsin up to something they ARE NOT! That’s a fact. Winning the West doesn’t make you relevant to the national Playoff Picture..

Latest posts