Ferentz Era Over

HawkleberryFinn

This loss marks the end of the feel-good Ferentz era. Though Ferentz's tenure at Iowa has been tumultuous at times, accepting Iowans have endured his mediocrity. This season is dead in the water. Next season has a daunting schedule. Iowa will be without Fant, his family, and Hockenson--Hockenson can and should get off this sinking ship. Fan delusion hit an all-time high after the Maryland game. The giddy excitement expressed by Howe and others was confusing to me. We hadn't beat anyone of note and we were suddenly a team to be reckoned with. I attribute this premature giddiness to the Iowa program's lack of success over the past nine years. Most of the past nine years has been a major let down. We get overexcited and overconfident at any hint of consistency.

After next season we will likely lose Wirfs, Jackson, Epenesa, Nelson, Stanley, and Hooker. The talent we had this year and will have next year was our last shot at really making a run at the CFP. The talent is abnormally high, the production is mediocre Ferentz. Barta, of course, is just as much to blame. Again, the accepting Iowa fans will continue to accept Barta just as they continue to accept nice-guy Ferentz. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think things will end pretty for Kirk...other than his bank account balance.

Last edited:
Wah, wah, wah. You had a defense with three new LBs, and playing two freshman corners. At some point, didn't you expect the defense to struggle? I knew it was going to happen...and we were going to have to outscore teams. We almost did.

It's so interesting to see these types of posts. I think we have a very good team. A team that is young, a team with talent, and a team with what appears to be promising players waiting their turn. All positive.

Not one team has physically dominated us...and until yesterday, not one team has truly exploited our defense. The loss against Wisconsin was self inflicted (two costly turnovers and poor red zone execution)...the loss at Penn State was due to the poor play at QB...plain and simple. If Stanley plays average we beat Penn State by two TDs.

Yesterday was the first time a team made the plays themselves to beat us. That being said there were some very, very questionable calls in that game...that went Purdue's way.

Tough losses all...but with the vast majority of this team back, and other non starters getting plenty of time...how can you not be upbeat?

3-3 in this awful division of a very weak conference. We beat the juggernauts Minnesota, Maryland, and Indiana. Wow. Anyone with a brain knew that it was nothing to get excited about, and we are just average to below average. People claiming Purdue is a good team, lol. No they aren't.
Correct you are!

Wah, wah, wah. You had a defense with three new LBs, and playing two freshman corners. At some point, didn't you expect the defense to struggle? I knew it was going to happen...and we were going to have to outscore teams. We almost did.

It's so interesting to see these types of posts. I think we have a very good team. A team that is young, a team with talent, and a team with what appears to be promising players waiting their turn. All positive.

Not one team has physically dominated us...and until yesterday, not one team has truly exploited our defense. The loss against Wisconsin was self inflicted (two costly turnovers and poor red zone execution)...the loss at Penn State was due to the poor play at QB...plain and simple. If Stanley plays average we beat Penn State by two TDs.

Yesterday was the first time a team made the plays themselves to beat us. That being said there were some very, very questionable calls in that game...that went Purdue's way.

Tough losses all...but with the vast majority of this team back, and other non starters getting plenty of time...how can you not be upbeat?

How can you not be upbeat? 1) The rare-for-Iowa talent we had on board this season was squandered. 2) Fant and Hockenson (our receiving corps) will be be gone next year--they were the passing game. 3) We always seem to complain about having a "young team". There will almost always be more non-seniors at starting positions. We will be losing our youth early to the NFL. Fant/Hockenson this year. Wirfs/Jackson/Epenesa next year. We are good at putting players in the NFL. We're not good at coaching them how to win as a team while at Iowa. I personally couldn't care less how Jacksonville, San Fran, and Green Bay are doing this year--I want the Hawks to win when they have the talent to do so.

Most years the record reverts to what it is most often. It is quintessential Kirk Ball. Another B+B. (Bowl + Bonus) without out coaching anyone. Without anything other than door mats. It has the glow of mediocrity wrapped in vanilla. It isn't that complicated nor is it difficult to predict. Husker have to be chomping at the bit for their bowl game vs Kirk Ball...vanilla is tasty.

Oh well. Fant and Hockenson can look back at the Ohio State win last year...and the Pin Stripe Bowl... However I heard they always longed for a Meineke Car Care Bowl appearance. Some dreams will remain dreams.

How can you not be upbeat? 1) The rare-for-Iowa talent we had on board this season was squandered. 2) Fant and Hockenson (our receiving corps) will be be gone next year--they were the passing game. 3) We always seem to complain about having a "young team". There will almost always be more non-seniors at starting positions. We will be losing our youth early to the NFL. Fant/Hockenson this year. Wirfs/Jackson/Epenesa next year. We are good at putting players in the NFL. We're not good at coaching them how to win as a team while at Iowa. I personally couldn't care less how Jacksonville, San Fran, and Green Bay are doing this year--I want the Hawks to win when they have the talent to do so.

Hockenson isn't going pro. I just don't think it happens. The rare for Iowa talent? Where Fant? ok. Who else is rare? Jackson and Wirfs are back. Guess what, I'll predict that Kallenberger and Ezra Miller are their replacements at tackle in 2020 and we won't miss a beat. If you want to say...damn...we are losing alot of talent...it's not this year...it may be next. Next year is going to be salty.

Hockenson isn't going pro. I just don't think it happens. The rare for Iowa talent? Where Fant? ok. Who else is rare? Jackson and Wirfs are back. Guess what, I'll predict that Kallenberger and Ezra Miller are their replacements at tackle in 2020 and we won't miss a beat. If you want to say...damn...we are losing alot of talent...it's not this year...it may be next. Next year is going to be salty.
We literally lose the starting center and both guards as well as the starting WR. If Fant & Hock enter the draft, the O will not be salty. What have you been smoking this morning?

WinOneThisCentury...I think you're going to be waiting a long time.

I've enjoyed watching this team play. Penn State was tough because Stanleys poor play cost them that game...but I've enjoyed this team. We were down two scores at Purdue and this team didn't quit...didn't fold...they kept playing and made plays to get the lead.

Honestly...I think they got screwed yesterday...but that's just me. You have to be better than the referee calls and we weren't. The call on Render was the biggest joke call I've ever seen. The dude fell down. Render just fell on top of him. The play was gone too. That set the tone for that drive. The subsequent hold was questionable too. Purdue got away with so much holding in the secondary it was ridiculous. ISM was held on a play in the end zone where it was just crazy that nothing was called...inconceivable.

This loss marks the end of the feel-good Ferentz era. Though Ferentz's tenure at Iowa has been tumultuous at times, accepting Iowans have endured his mediocrity. This season is dead in the water. Next season has a daunting schedule. Iowa will be without Fant, his family, and Hockenson--Hockenson can and should get off this sinking ship. Fan delusion hit an all-time high after the Maryland game. The giddy excitement expressed by Howe and others was confusing to me. We hadn't beat anyone of note and we were suddenly a team to be reckoned with. I attribute this premature giddiness to the Iowa program's lack of success over the past nine years. Most of the past nine years has been a major let down. We get overexcited and overconfident at any hint of consistency.

After next season we will likely lose Wirfs, Jackson, Epenesa, Nelson, Stanley, and Hooker. The talent we had this year and will have next year was our last shot at really making a run at the CFP. The talent is abnormally high, the production is mediocre Ferentz. Barta, of course, is just as much to blame. Again, the accepting Iowa fans will continue to accept Barta just as they continue to accept nice-guy Ferentz. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think things will end pretty for Kirk...other than his bank account balance.

upload_2018-11-4_13-14-46.gif
I kept trying to come up with a movie that’s emblematic of this program. Then I found it from Dumb & Dumber - that scene where the bikini tour rolls right up to them and ask point blank if they want to join, they say no, and then give them the wrong directions. It’s analogous to the assistant coaches declining the conference championship game in Indy after basically having an open invite; Kirk then looks at his assistants and says, “Do you know what you’ve done?!?” Only to chase down the charter brigade, telling the driver that his assistants made a mistake, and the driver should turn around to pick up [NW, Wisconsin, or PU] on the way to Indianapolis. Then he says to himself, “Someone’s going to enjoy showcasing their program in Indianapolis, lucky ducks.”

We literally lose the starting center and both guards as well as the starting WR. If Fant & Hock enter the draft, the O will not be salty. What have you been smoking this morning?

Banwart started yesterday. Paulson has started games. Kallenberger has started a game and he plays guard next year...you put the best five in there...we have history of putting tackles at guard early in their careers. You are right Easely is irreplaceable...come on. He's a good possession type of receiver...but we have three of those who have gotten reps. Tracy will be a better version of Easely eventually.

I don't think Hockenson goes. So what you are saying is that we never develop TEs. Drew Cook, Beyer, others may be the next Hockenson.

Banwart started yesterday. Paulson has started games. Kallenberger has started a game and he plays guard next year...you put the best five in there...we have history of putting tackles at guard early in their careers. You are right Easely is irreplaceable...come on. He's a good possession type of receiver...but we have three of those who have gotten reps. Tracy will be a better version of Easely eventually.

I don't think Hockenson goes. So what you are saying is that we never develop TEs. Drew Cook, Beyer, others may be the next Hockenson.
Seriously, what are you smoking?

Since the start of the 2010 season, Ferentz is 68-45, going 2-5 in bowl appearances (one year not bowl eligible). Cut out the 2015 season, and Ferentz is painfully mediocre. He hasn't achieved more than 8 wins in any other season since 2009. Ponder that. "Preparing To Be The Best." ...achieving middling results for a decade.

"IF Fant"??? Fant is gone after this year. There is no "if" there. Hockenson is another question.

We have lost close games, piss poor time management, inconsistent offense, defense and specials teams, no more championship talk......Oh, I'm afraid Nebraska will be quite operational when it arrives at Kinnick.:)

Agreed, the Ferentz Program blew it yet again this year.

Latest posts