Ferentz Era Over

Let's not be revisionists. It hasn't been 20 years. Bo Pelini had nothing but 9-10 win seasons there. That's not purgatory.

According to many negative posters on this board, yourself included, it is. We have a legit shot to win 9-10 games this year and you've been moaning about how this season is over.

According to many negative posters on this board, yourself included, it is. We have a legit shot to win 9-10 games this year and you've been moaning about how this season is over.
You're just twisting a third derivative comment now. My response was that pretending was bad for 20 years is total BS because they had a coach for like 7-8 years with a 9 win FLOOR. Ferentz has never had a 9 win floor and wining 9 this season is completely hollow when we pissed away this schedule. We were 4-8 not that long ago. I was talking about a 20 year purgatory being BS. Our record for ONE SEASON is irrelevant to that comment.

No Wisconsin hasn’t been in the playoff discussion for the last Decade. That’s ridiculous talk!!! As for the west yes they’ve had our number and! Your blowing Wisconsin up to something they ARE NOT! That’s a fact. Winning the West doesn’t make you relevant to the national Playoff Picture..

They have been in the conference championship game 5 times since 2011. Three of those 5 times they were ranked in the top 12. Twice in the top 8. Once in the top 3. This summer they were picked to go by SI. I don't know what your criteria are for being in the conversation, but being in the top 15 teams with a shot at winning against a highly ranked team in the championship game is pretty good. Being in the Rose Bowl just outside the BCS NCG three years in a row is pretty close to being in the conversation, too.

Bo Pelini had a 9 win floor at Nebraska.

Bo Pelini had a 9 win ceiling at Nebraska....
In the Big10

They have been in the conference championship game 5 times since 2011. Three of those 5 times they were ranked in the top 12. Twice in the top 8. Once in the top 3. This summer they were picked to go by SI. I don't know what your criteria are for being in the conversation, but being in the top 15 teams with a shot at winning against a highly ranked team in the championship game is pretty good. Being in the Rose Bowl just outside the BCS NCG three years in a row is pretty close to being in the conversation, too.

You really just said “Wisconsin made 3 straight Rose Bowl and we’re just outside the BCS NCG 3 years in a row”. Now That’s funny!! Cincy are you a closet Badger homer??

Wisconsin rank when they made 3 Straight Rose Bowls
2011- 5th in BCS when they took Top 2. Non Factor!!
2012- 9th in AP Poll and 10th in BCS. Non Factor!!
2013- Wisconsin wasn’t even Ranked in AP and NR in BCS. FYI they were 8-

A team isn’t a National Title contender if they can’t make it to the show!! The reality is Wisconsin had one legit shot at the show in the last decade that is it. Has Wisconsin did well most certainly and had great records definitely, but nothing more to it than that for me. That’s just how I look at it.

Last edited:
I am sure this has been mentioned by more than a few people. But as a fan I am not sold on Brian becoming the new head coach when Kirk leaves. Overall I think Brian has been a good influence on Kirk. But I just don't think he is head coach material at this point.

Brian F should not be hired as head coach without ever being a head coach. Kirk left Iowa to be a head coach for a few years, it was at a non-power school but it gave him experience in being the man at the top. Iowa is a top 30 program maybe top 25 in many metrics and the University should not be hiring head coaches who have never been in that position.

I mean I can remember the head scratching when Bob Commings was hired from a high school head job and I know he coached at a powerhouse Massilon program but still. Commings almost turned it around and he had tough teams but just couldnt get it done.

Again, that leaves the secondary thinner than it already is. It's a one dimensional answer to a deeper problem being our CBs can't cover receivers. If you watch the game Blough never needed more than a couple seconds to launch the ball so more blitzing wouldn't have been effective. Especially with Moore and Knox being in the slot at all times.

If you go back and watch the Purdue-MSU game their corners were all over Purdue's receivers. They got after him because he had nowhere to throw to. Against us was the opposite...take the snap and launch it immediately to one of two or three open guys. You're trying to fix a problem in a way that would actually exacerbate it.

Yes good experienced QBs can tell in about a second if their receiver is side by side or beating the corner. If the receiver gets a free release, which they almost always to with Iowa since we are afraid to play chuck and run, and the QB and receiver have been practicing these go routes for a long time, then yes it is a matter of a good high throw the receiver can run under.

You really just said “Wisconsin made 3 straight Rose Bowl and we’re just outside the BCS NCG 3 years in a row”. Now That’s funny!! Cincy are you a closet Badger homer??

Wisconsin rank when they made 3 Straight Rose Bowls
2011- 5th in BCS when they took Top 2. Non Factor!!
2012- 9th in AP Poll and 10th in BCS. Non Factor!!
2013- Wisconsin wasn’t even Ranked in AP and NR in BCS. FYI they were 8-

A team isn’t a National Title contender if they can’t make it to the show!! The reality is Wisconsin had one legit shot at the show in the last decade that is it. Has Wisconsin did well most certainly and had great records definitely, but nothing more to it than that for me. That’s just how I look at it.

The only top teams to you are Clemson and Alabama then? That's a very narrow set of criteria, but if that's yours, fine. But Wisconsin is better than Iowa. What barriers do you see that prevent Iowa from being as good of a program as Wisconsin or Mizzou have been over the last decade. Because they've both won multiple divisional titles in that time span. Why can't we?

The only top teams to you are Clemson and Alabama then? That's a very narrow set of criteria, but if that's yours, fine. But Wisconsin is better than Iowa. What barriers do you see that prevent Iowa from being as good of a program as Wisconsin or Mizzou have been over the last decade. Because they've both won multiple divisional titles in that time span. Why can't we?

Narrow set of criteria? No it’s called Reality!! When it comes to the true National Championship Contenders yes it is about the Top Teams Clemson, Bama, Ohio State Oklahoma. Who are you kidding! Facts don’t lie..

Sure Wisconsin has been better recently but they haven’t gone to a completely another level than Iowa while being better. That’s a Fact. Your trying to make Wisconsin look like something they are not. They have been a National Title Contender for the last 10 years that silly talk!!!

Last edited:
Narrow set of criteria? No it’s called Reality!! When it comes to the true National Championship Contenders yes it is about the Top Teams Clemson, Bama, Ohio State Oklahoma. Who are you kidding! Facts don’t lie..

Sure Wisconsin has been better but they haven’t gone to completely another level than Iowa while being better. That’s a Fact. Your trying to make Wisconsin look like something they are not. They have been a National Title Contender for the last 10 years that silly talk!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong here but Wisconsin has been ranked for the most part over the last decade. Be it during the season and once the final rankings come out after the bowls.

Iowa on the other hand has not been ranked much at all after the 2010 collapse.

So you have one team that is consistently in the top 25, often in the top 15 and you have another team that is consistently not ranked. This coincides with a decade long period of the usually ranked team dominating the usually unranked team on the field.

I'm not sure what the definition of a "completely different level" is but I would think something like what I described above has to be close.

Last edited:
Brian F should not be hired as head coach without ever being a head coach... Iowa is a top 30 program maybe top 25 in many metrics and the University should not be hiring head coaches who have never been in that position.

This is true.

But, the same thing could be said about the OC position...

Correct me if I'm wrong here but Wisconsin has been ranked for the most part over the last decade. Be it during the season and once the final rankings come out after the bowls.

Iowa on the other hand has not been ranked much at all after the 2010 collapse.

So you have one team that is consistently in the top 25, often in the top 15 and you have another team that is consistently not ranked. This coincides with a decade long period of the usually ranked team dominating the usually unranked team on the field.

I'm not sure what the definition of a "completely different level" is but I would like something like what I described above has to be close.

We are not comparing Iowa and Wisconsin he has stated that Wisconsin for the past decade has been a National Championship Contender and to that I say Bullshit.. They have had 1 team as has Iowa been realistically relevant in getting into the Championship.

Only 2 Big Ten teams have played for a legit National Title in the past 20 years. OSU and Michigan State.

Iowa dominated Wisconsin from 2002 to 2009. Wisconsin has from 2010 to 2018. The season the last 15 years is 8-7 Wisconsin. It will be interesting to see if what Wisconsin has done is sustainable, history says no.

Last edited:
I don't think it is rare, though. Iowa has been 8-4 / 7-4 in the regular season since I was born. That's 37 years. That's a very long time. It's not rare - the vast majority of bowl eligible teams are 7 - 5 or 8 - 4. That's probably 1/3 of the teams in FBS or more, and certainly within 2 standard deviations of the mean.

The fact is that most non-basement division teams can, and do, schedule themselves into 6 automatic wins a season. They win at least 3 in conference, and 3 OOC. Iowa and some B1G teams choose not to do that, opting for a rivalry or nationally relevant OOC game.

Alabama, though, chooses not to do that. That isn't a judgement against them. It's a smart choice given their conference slate. But Iowa could decide to play three automatic wins and get to 8 - 4 pretty easily every year.

I actually think it's rarer to have a long period of terrible football in a big conference - because if you have any pride at all you fire non-performers until you get a good performer.

Rare is perennial 10 win seasons. That's top ten programs in the country. 9 win seasons is good - top 25. 8 win seasons are average programs - the Texas Techs and Cals of the world.

All I want is an perennial top 25 football team, in a weak division. Nebraska is down. Illinois is down. Minnesota is down. We should be making hay while the sun shines.

Texas Tech and Cal are not avg 8 wins a year programs if you meant that literally....

What are the barriers you see in a national recruiting environment and versus the competition in the Big Ten West to being a top 25 team every year, given Iowa's revenue? Why is Wisconsin able to do ot consistently and Iowa not?

This I agree with. I think Iowa and some of the fans sell the program short. "We're just little ol' Iowa, we can't be consistently good."

Sorry this is preordained. It is obvious.
Brian didn't t return to toil as an OLine coach and OC for too long. OC not his strength. No natural ability there. Kirk just hoping Brian has a modicum of success. Even though it is not required.

Kirk is hoping to bow out sooner than later but here is the tricky part. In order to make it legit he hopes to leave and transition to Brian after a 9 or 10 win successful season. That might not happen. Does it matter though? Interesting to see Kirk criticize the officials after Purdue. Will he become more vocal and invested in our success as he equates our success with Brian's future?

I can see Kirk stepping aside in a couple of years. He can't risk Barta leaving before him. Brian gets promoted. Polasek ascends to OC. Why do you think he was hired? He had zero OLine experience.
A younger Ferentz takes over as OLine coach.

Where does this leave Parker? Who knows. He would be more deserving but maybe he doesn't want it. He will have to decide his own future.

All speculation on my part but tell me what other scenario makes more sense given that Kirk is running the show. You can't deny his history of Nepotism.

<<Interesting to see Kirk criticize the officials after the Purdue game>>

He didn't "criticize" the officials. He simply doesn't do that. He made remarks that were, to most, loud and clear about things, but he was careful not to outright "criticize" officials.

Frankly, he SHOULD have strangled a couple of them. And if people can call out coaches, players, ADs, etc., then those people should sure as hell be able to call out officials. By name. By call.

For example, the official who called Solomon for a face mask in the Outback Bowl 1/2/2006 should never have put on stripes again. Ever. He should have been forced to swallow that damn whistle and flag whole. Players can be kicked out of games, coaches can be kicked out of games and lose jobs. Officials? Not much, if ever, do they get publicly reprimanded.

Sorry this is preordained. It is obvious.
Brian didn't t return to toil as an OLine coach and OC for too long. OC not his strength. No natural ability there. Kirk just hoping Brian has a modicum of success. Even though it is not required.

Kirk is hoping to bow out sooner than later but here is the tricky part. In order to make it legit he hopes to leave and transition to Brian after a 9 or 10 win successful season. That might not happen. Does it matter though? Interesting to see Kirk criticize the officials after Purdue. Will he become more vocal and invested in our success as he equates our success with Brian's future?

I can see Kirk stepping aside in a couple of years. He can't risk Barta leaving before him. Brian gets promoted. Polasek ascends to OC. Why do you think he was hired? He had zero OLine experience.
A younger Ferentz takes over as OLine coach.

Where does this leave Parker? Who knows. He would be more deserving but maybe he doesn't want it. He will have to decide his own future.

All speculation on my part but tell me what other scenario makes more sense given that Kirk is running the show. You can't deny his history of Nepotism.

I agree with your theory that BF will take over for KF in 2-3 yrs if they can keep the program at an 8 win clip and they have to do it before Barta is gone. That has been the plan since he came to Iowa.

In terms of BF specifically, he technically only had zero OL experience in coaching. He did play it in college, for his father (and the OC's/OL coaches), who is largely known as an OL coach plus played a couple of years in the NFL so he would understand the art of OL play. Did he have coaching experience at OL? No because the majority of people don't right after a playing career. He had never played or coached TE before he did at NE either so getting hired by someone who is considered one of the great NFL minds in history accounts for something. Maybe he will be a great head coach. Some are better at being leaders vs coordinators and vice versa. Who knows. Should he take over the program within a couple of years? IMO, probably not.

If Parker would like a shot at HC, I would be more than willing to have him do that at Iowa. My guess is he doesn't want that. As good as he's been as a DC, his name has been eerily quiet for any open HC position. Seems really odd, with his success, unless he's made it known that's not his desire. It rarely comes up even in rumors. MSU briefly since it was his alma mater. He or his agent (assuming he has one) has kept his name on the DL this whole time. Crazy but I can only take from that that it's by design.

Again, that leaves the secondary thinner than it already is. It's a one dimensional answer to a deeper problem being our CBs can't cover receivers. If you watch the game Blough never needed more than a couple seconds to launch the ball so more blitzing wouldn't have been effective. Especially with Moore and Knox being in the slot at all times.

If you go back and watch the Purdue-MSU game their corners were all over Purdue's receivers. They got after him because he had nowhere to throw to. Against us was the opposite...take the snap and launch it immediately to one of two or three open guys. You're trying to fix a problem in a way that would actually exacerbate it.

During an interview after the game, one of the Purdue WRs said that the Iowa CBs never jammed them at the LoS. That makes timing those deep throws a LOT easier. It's another reason why our soft zone does not work against accurate QBs.

I have pretty much stayed off the boards since the PSU loss. Man, that one was crushing. I had talked myself back up by Purdue, and then another punch right to the gonads.

I am a supporter of Ferentz for reasons I have detailed before. For those reasonable people that have argued he leaves wins on the table and will never be able to elevate the program beyond its current standing as a fringe top-25 team, I have said, "let's wait and see, he has given us tantalizing flashes, and I like the current direction."

I was wrong. The table was set perfectly this year, and the Hawks again failed to capitalize (like in 2010, 2014, 2016, etc.). We should not discount the worth of the current regime setting the program up for special seasons on a regular basis, some programs never get that. And we should not act like KF never pulls it off (even in his lowest stretch from '05-current, he has managed 2 top-10 finishes). But to get Iowa to the Wisconsin level, seasons like this need to end in a B1G West division crown. That would have continued recruiting momentum, set the table for next year (the most talented Iowa team in a long time), and potentially caused a real shakeup at the top of the West.

I just wanted to come on and take my medicine, admit that many others nailed it while I was wearing my black-and-gold colored glasses. If the Hawks win out and win a bowl, that will still be a good season (I would equate the resulting 10-3 to last year's 8-5 against a tougher schedule), but overall unsatisfying. By the spring I will have talked myself into 2019 Hawks as CFP contenders, and Ferentz will be the man to lead us there. Some will disagree, and they will probably end up right, but I am going to hold on until the last moment (like this year).

Latest posts