Fans, please dont boo and throw stuff at the players

uihawk82

I went to my first game in late 1950's and saw some great games. I also saw Gary Snook get booed by his own fans in the mid 1960's. I did not understand it then as I was only around 13-14. I saw some pretty bad Iowa teams.

I have never and will never boo a hawk player unless they were to totally go berserk and stomp and kick an opponent which I do not foresee. I am not going to boo, heckle or throw things at 18-22 year old amateur student-athletes. They are very young men doing what the coaches tell them and coach them to do. NOne of us when we played sports ever wanted to be booed as we tried our hardest but many times failed to win.

These men cannot help it if they are not fast, strong, or quick enough and cant jump as high or catch and throw and tackle as well as other teams. I missed yesterday's game which was only one of a handful of games I have missed in the last 40 years. My son and others told me about the fans throwing towels at the players and probably coaches.

Booing does not help at all as the players knew they were failing. We need recruits, we need to find a couple tim dwights, a couple mo browns and cj jones, a brad banks and drew tate, play makers, like them and roth, babineux, sash and greenway. We need more overall speed, size, and ability.

The coaches need to recruit better athletes. Throwing stuff at players and booing them will not help.

I went to my first game in late 1950's and saw some great games. I also saw Gary Snook get booed by his own fans in the mid 1960's. I did not understand it then as I was only around 13-14. I saw some pretty bad Iowa teams.

I have never and will never boo a hawk player unless they were to totally go berserk and stomp and kick an opponent which I do not foresee. I am not going to boo, heckle or throw things at 18-22 year old amateur student-athletes. They are very young men doing what the coaches tell them and coach them to do. NOne of us when we played sports ever wanted to be booed as we tried our hardest but many times failed to win.

These men cannot help it if they are not fast, strong, or quick enough and cant jump as high or catch and throw and tackle as well as other teams. I missed yesterday's game which was only one of a handful of games I have missed in the last 40 years. My son and others told me about the fans throwing towels at the players and probably coaches.

Booing does not help at all as the players knew they were failing. We need recruits, we need to find a couple tim dwights, a couple mo browns and cj jones, a brad banks and drew tate, play makers, like them and roth, babineux, sash and greenway. We need more overall speed, size, and ability.

The coaches need to recruit better athletes. Throwing stuff at players and booing them will not help.

Of course you are right, but I think you have to cut the Iowa fans a little slack. It isn't like it was in the 50s, when you could buy a season ticket for $25. Fans now are asked to invest thousands of dollars for these tickets, not to mention additional contributions to the Univ. of Iowa Foundation. Then, we pay a coach $4 million (FOUR MILLION) each year to coach a bunch of kids. You shouldn't be surprised that expectations go up, and then anger ensues when the team performs poorly. Not to mention the fact that Iowa the previous week beat a team, on the road, that is probably overall a better team than Penn State (or at least was projected to be better before the season).

It was a very frustrating and puzzling evening, to say the least.

Of course you are right, but I think you have to cut the Iowa fans a little slack. It isn't like it was in the 50s, when you could buy a season ticket for $25. Fans now are asked to invest thousands of dollars for these tickets, not to mention additional contributions to the Univ. of Iowa Foundation. Then, we pay a coach $4 million (FOUR MILLION) each year to coach a bunch of kids. You shouldn't be surprised that expectations go up, and then anger ensues when the team performs poorly. Not to mention the fact that Iowa the previous week beat a team, on the road, that is probably overall a better team than Penn State (or at least was projected to be better before the season).

Ferentz gets paid 4 MILLION/YEAR?!?! This is the first I'm hearing of this - are you SERIOUS?!?

go ahead and boo the highly paid coach or coaches then, dont throw towels at the players, thats stupid, and it was probably mostly students throwing the towels and booing and they dont pay friggin thousands of dollars for tickets, c'mon.

Nite game drunks.

Not exactly the classiest thing to do. Booing and throwing things at the Hawkeye Players......

I wouldn't call those who do Hawkeye fans, just classless drunks.....

Just my opinion.....

Jack

When JVB went down, several people stood up and yelled "stay down", and "I hope your hurt".

Really pretty pathetic coming from grown adults.

When JVB went down, several people stood up and yelled "stay down", and "I hope your hurt".

Yes that is really pathetic.

Hey I have said that I dont think JVB is doing well this year but I am not going to boo him or hope he gets hurt.

I think the coaches have enough film on JVB to self scout themselves to know he is not accurate on certain pass routes, so dont call those pass routes

Come on coaches

JVB throws the long, arching pass or fade pretty well, he throws the pass up the has very well, and he throws pretty well to players stopped in zones, many times he seems to struggle when players are running full speed across the field, he throw the hitch and out very well because he is throwing to a stationary target or spot. The coaches need to call those types of pattersm

How exactly do you boo the coaches without it feeling like the players are being boo'd? Booing is booing. And I think it was warranted after that performance. We'll just say the non-student fans were booing teh coaches and the students were booing teh players. Was I booing? No, but I wasn't in attendance either. The students that attend the university have every right. Those players are representing the school. Plus, what did you think would happen during a night game with a stadium full of drunkards? It would have happened at any other school where the fans were passionate about their team.

Ohhh pretty please kirk can you bring in some better players. Please Kirk. Please. I still love you.

Talent is fine. Iowa has some of the worst coaches in the country.

The weird part is that students were throwing towels onto the field when the teams were at the other endzone... almost as if it had nothing to do with the players, and was a simple matter of drunken-sport.

Not to mention last year's night game when students made paper airplanes and threw THOSE onto the field. Iowa was winning and the players were still subjected to this awful treatment :(

Are you Fing kidding me? I hope you punched them in the throat, with a wrecking ball........

The booing disgusted me. Regardless of how poorly a Hawkeye plays, he should never be booed. That is classless and pathetic.

How exactly do you boo the coaches without it feeling like the players are being boo'd? Booing is booing. And I think it was warranted after that performance. We'll just say the non-student fans were booing teh coaches and the students were booing teh players. Was I booing? No, but I wasn't in attendance either. The students that attend the university have every right. Those players are representing the school. Plus, what did you think would happen during a night game with a stadium full of drunkards? It would have happened at any other school where the fans were passionate about their team.

KF is occasionally booed when he has the players take 3 knees at the end of a half. There is using a light amount of booing in these circumstances.

I think sometimes it is ok to boo the coaches or rag on them on call in shows or on forums.

These coaches make big dollars to make correct decisions before during or after games and sometimes their decisions are very suspect.

Not exactly the classiest thing to do. Booing and throwing things at the Hawkeye Players......

I wouldn't call those who do Hawkeye fans, just classless drunks.....

Just my opinion.....

Jack

That pretty much describes the student section for a Hawk night game. They are the only ones I saw throwing anything.

As for the booing, it's a natural human response and within the confines of a stadium a "mob mentality" kicks in.

I refrain from it. I have to consciously do so, but in the end I know it's the wrong thing to do. I wouldn't want the players thinking I was booing them.

I will sometimes yell "Shame on you Kirk Ferentz". As if he can hear me. lol

Nope. Still not ok behavior. And we are not asked to do anything, purely discretionary spending, many may choose differently if the struggles continue

Msu not better than psu. Not if both playing well...whats lost in our pain is we got psu's absolute best game.

Latest posts